[1.0.5] Atomic Age - Nuclear Propulsion - Red Hot Radiators

Porkjet

3 hours ago, Synthesis said:

So--somewhat irrelevant question: can anyone indentify the cone-shaped command module in the last spacecraft picture in the original post, Page 1? I've been trying to reproduce various spacecraft from this pack (since I don't really have good techniques for designing nuclear spacecraft), and i can't place it. Is it from a mod? It looks like an updated version of old nosecone from before 0.90, but I can't place it. 

To me, it looks like the Avionics Nosecone stuck on the end of the NCS Fuel tank Adapter (1.25 -> 0.625)

5 hours ago, Nightside said:

To me, it looks like the Avionics Nosecone stuck on the end of the NCS Fuel tank Adapter (1.25 -> 0.625)

I thought it might be the Avionics Nosecone! I wasn't familiar with what they looked like now. Thanks!

Surprisingly, the part is not covered by the fuel switch module--so it can only carry liquid fuel. Not very useful for that particular engine, but maybe I can tweak that. 

Edited by Synthesis

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2015 at 9:51 AM, gilflo said:

I have it install too and got the bulb engine in tweakable versions on some aircraft. It was working fine on 1.0.4 and I got big heat problems with 1.0.5 on the bulb.....They would heat and explode very quickly after start....

It looks like when the bulb engines are exposed to heat du to acceleration, when over 20km building speed to M4.5, when I stop my scramjet and start the bulb, they heat very quickly.

If I replace bulb by  stock LV-N, this won't happen.

If i use bulb engines on Mun for example they won't heat.....

So it looks like they can't be use after general  heating du to acceleration or whatever else

Randazzo suggestion (Heat Management mod) will work, but please note that Atomic Age (love it for almost-stock play) is ONLY A PARTS MOD, so you can easily edit heat production and such in the config files to properly correlate with current KSP 1.05 Nerva values - problems solved. 

P.S.  I hope to see this mod come back in 1.1... please?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Porkjet, are there any plans to post this on SpaceDock, now that the previous hosting site has gone away?

On 2/10/2016 at 4:08 AM, Atlas2342 said:

One question, is this gonna have a 1.05 compatible version or straight to 1.1?

I've used it on a career play-through in 1.0.5, it works just fine.

On 2/21/2016 at 8:18 PM, Snark said:

Hi @Porkjet, are there any plans to post this on SpaceDock, now that the previous hosting site has gone away?

I've used it on a career play-through in 1.0.5, it works just fine.

Doesn't it have heat problems like parts exploding randomly? Also, yes! Post it in SpaceDock!

5 hours ago, Atlas2342 said:

Doesn't it have heat problems like parts exploding randomly? Also, yes! Post it in SpaceDock!

I've used it quite a lot in 1.0.5, no problems at all.

Certainly it has parts that overheat & explode, that's by design.  To deal with that, add enough radiators, then they're fine.

Nuclear Lightbulb, that you can tweakscale, is a fantastic nuclear engine for use out of atmosphere: very good isp, fantastic range with use of fuel only and good TWR. Use it with AHMS and 2 deployable radiators from Heat Management mod and it will never overheat, unless you use it in atmospheric flight on a spaceplane that would have encountered kinetic overheating. It's perfect for landers or interplanetary travel.

If LightBulb temperature is beyond a critical temperature ( i don't which) it will never cooled and will explode very quickly. Maybe it could be your transition engine to reach Kerbin orbit on a rocket, as with rocket design you are not generally struggling with overheating to reach orbit. So if you start it in the last 20 kms, after rocket engines have shut down and if your rocket is not overheated, maybe it could be ok, but don't forget AHMS and radiators.....

To me no problem with the lightbulb, you have only to use it with the correct adapter and 2 big stock folding radiators for every lightbulb you attack to the ship and seems enough balanced versus engine performance.

What i find unbalanced are the radiators from this package, they need to be updated with 1.05 changes.

On 2/25/2016 at 10:34 PM, Rainbowd4sh said:

Is there any other place to download instead of the previous hosting site? It was shut down. 

Ouch!  Yeah, I guess you're right, I never noticed that the only link for this was there.  I even tried looking it up on archive.org just now... but unfortunately, the download link's not available.

Guess I better jealously guard my copy from deletion until it's posted again somewhere!

@Porkjet, is there anywhere else to download this mod?

6 hours ago, MrMeeb said:

Bumping for a new DL 

+1

nvm found a dl for the newest version (at least i think it's the newest)

Edited by sal_vager
Link to mod with no license and no attribution.

@MrMeeb, no bumping please, your post has been removed.

@McHox, please see the addon rules, mods can only be redistributed in accordance with their licence, in this case it is with attribution.

There is no licence and no attribution in the zip you linked to on megaupload, so the link has been removed.

@Porkjet is an active member and Squad staff, he is capable of reuploading his own mod.

Thank you.

9 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

@MrMeeb, no bumping please, your post has been removed.

@McHox, please see the addon rules, mods can only be redistributed in accordance with their licence, in this case it is with attribution.

There is no licence and no attribution in the zip you linked to on megaupload, so the link has been removed.

@Porkjet is an active member and Squad staff, he is capable of reuploading his own mod.

Thank you.

thanks for pointing that out,but was it really necessary to give me a posting restriction(" Your content will need to be approved by a moderator ")? i didn't upload it,just found it on google... :(

30 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

I didn't give you a posting restriction @McHox, all new members are automatically restricted for their first 3 posts in case they are a spambot.

31 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

@McHox all new members need their first few posts approved by moderators, otherwise the forum would fill up with spam posts from spambots. This way the moderators get to filter them out first. :)

oh ok,sorry guys :D