[Complaint] Is it just me, or does the 0.90 update SUCK for modding?

Ckay4ever

i dont know if its something im doing wrong. Or what. But when i had 0.25 build i placed mods in the gamdata folder and NO PROBLEM WHAT SO EVER. WITH ANY MOD. But now when I add a mod to the game data folder, only some work. Even tho they are Supposidly "Updated". lol what a joke. If you want anything but the stock parts (which really blow) then DO NOT UPDATE. stick with 0.25. Its much more friendly to ppl who want to mod the game.

Yes, im checking if the 0.90 update is applied. And YES, im testing the game before and after EVERY mod installation. Maybe it just doesnt like me. or maybe because im running windows? I dunno. Maybe space aliens are keeping the game from working.... ill take any explanation right now.

By the time im done adding mods, I cant figure out what mod is making the game crash. And then when i finally delete the mod that is defective, I have deleted everything..... VERY FRUSTRATING.

sorry, i had to vent that frustration.

anyway. thank u for taking the time to read. :):mad:

Edited by Ckay4ever

i dont know if its something im doing wrong. Or what. But when i had 0.25 build i placed mods in the gamdata folder and NO PROBLEM WHAT SO EVER. WITH ANY MOD. But now when I add a mod to the game data folder, only some work. Even tho they are Supposidly "Updated". lol what a joke. If you want anything but the stock parts (which really blow) then DO NOT UPDATE. stick with 0.25. Its much more friendly to ppl who want to mod the game.

Yes, im checking if the 0.90 update is applied. And YES, im testing the game before and after EVERY mod installation. Maybe it just doesnt like me. or maybe because im running windows? I dunno. Maybe space aliens are keeping the game from working.... ill take any explanation right now.

By the time im done adding mods, I cant figure out what mod is making the game crash. And then when i finally delete the mod that is defective, I have deleted everything..... VERY FRUSTRATING.

sorry, i had to vent that frustration.

anyway. thank u for taking the time to read. :):mad:

Are you using the Windows 64bit build? If so there's high chances you're trying to run self-disabled mods.

Otherway, apart from breaking most mods from the massive background changes in the code, 0.90 is just as mod friendly (if you disregard all the career limits and levels) as 0.25.

It's just you. People gotta learn to install mods more carefully. KSP in my experience is the easiest game to install mods on the face off the planet. But that doesn't mean you can get download happy. I know the general consensus is to just hit download and drop it into GameData, but you simply can't do that and hope everything works. READ ...this goes for anyone.. READ the authors installation instructions. Often times there's crucial little notes to consider and compatibility issues to work around.

Make a separate GameData folder with all the mods you wish to install. Copy the stock GameData folder into a new one for a fresh backup. Then once you drop your mods in and confirm everything works the way you want it then do the same to that. Copy your modded ( working ) GameData folder for a backup to revert too should a new change break something.

Slow and methodical wins the race.

Edited by Motokid600

Works fine with me. Some of my 20-something mods gave the standard "incompatible" disclaimer, and Ship Manifest had an annoyance (which was fixed within a few days) but that was about it.

Then again, I also think that "just stock parts" doesn't completely blow, so maybe my expectations are just far less?

Um, let me see... 40 manually installed mods and all working just fine. Not seeing any issues at all here, unless you count the new restrictions due to the facility upgrades / kerbal training mechanics.

The log file will generally provide a heads up on mods that are having issues, possibly even before thing go wrong in game.

Other than that, :confused:.

Works for me.

Works fine with me. Some of my 20-something mods gave the standard "incompatible" disclaimer, and Ship Manifest had an annoyance (which was fixed within a few days) but that was about it.

Then again, I also think that "just stock parts" doesn't completely blow, so maybe my expectations are just far less?

Nope stock is definitely great. Should be about to test interstellar travel on stock, should my save survive the mod/transfer. So a lot is possible. Stock can do wonders (look at some of the better craft builders out there too!).

I like the idea of CKAN, but there's still too much missing atm. i.e. update notifications & a bunch of important mods not yet in the catalouge. I'm a bit 'all or nothing' when it comes to mod managers.

I also don't like that it's written in C#/mono/.NET, cool since it's what KSP mods use, not cool that I have to install all those libraries just to run it. C all the way ;)

Right now manual installation + KSP-AVC does all I need.

Edited by steve_v

I like the idea of CKAN, but there's still too much missing atm. i.e. update notifications & a bunch of important mods not yet in the catalouge. I'm a bit 'all or nothing' when it comes to mod managers.

I also don't like that it's written in C#/mono/.NET, cool since it's what KSP mods use, not cool that I have to install all those libraries just to run it. C all the way ;)

Right now manual installation + KSP-AVC does all I need.

Hi there :)

Well, if you are on windows you already have .NET installed by default. I also hear that Ubuntu now ships with mono by default. Not sure about OSX, but it's still about 30MB :)

That being said, we'd *love* to see other clients, everything's open source :)

How much effort is it for modders to recompile their work for CKAN?

Usually very little, or not at all. The mod itself does not need any recompile: ckan just grabs the zip and installs it like a user would. There are some cases where the metadata needs some special care to write, but we try to do it without bothering the author. In the majority of cases, the author doesn't need to do anything, we handle everything for them :)

Ah, yeah. But:

apt-get install -s mono-complete                                                       
The following extra packages will be installed:
0 upgraded, [B]210 newly installed[/B], 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

How to figure out exactly which of those I need?

CKAN in .deb format please :sticktongue:.

Or at least some dependency information.

Edited by steve_v

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.