[1.1.2] K2 Command Pod: Two Kerbal stock-alike pod (v1.4)

jfjohnny5

Quick question....  Am I going mad or did this brilliant mod originally come with a separate nose section containing RCS thrusters and a built in docking ring?

Or am I confusing this with another mod? 

Also .. why is the base curved if it has no ablator built into it?

Most heat shields have a flat fitting base.

• 2 months later...

This pod works fine with 1.1, including the newfangled internal view!

(I tried to create an alternate RasterPropMonitor config for the K2, but I can't—for the life of me—figure out how to place the props correctly.)

Edited by Zyx Abacab

• 2 weeks later...

It works in 1.1.2, I updated my cfg to have 1.1 era searchable tags and the modern heat tags. Since it's within the license to modify here it is an updated CFG, just replace the old one with this one. Note that this pod is very aerodynamic so remember to bring a drag chute. 

Spoiler

PART
{
// this is a sample config file, for determining a good file format for defining part parameters
// comment line - ignored by cfg parser
// empty lines, or lines without a '=' sign are also ignored
// all other lines are split at the '=' sign, and the left operand is used to know what parameter we are setting
// diferent parameters require data in different formats (see docs), and each module has it's own parameters (again, see docs)
// each assignment must be in a single line. Lines without assignments will be ignored. (You CAN turn on word wrap, though)
// each keyword here relates to an existing variable in the assigned module. If the keyword isn't found, it is ignored.
// conversely, if a keyword is left unassigned (as in not in the file), it will be initialized with it's default value
// This is done automatically, so any public variable defined in the loaded module can be accessed this way (provided it's value can be parsed)

// --- general parameters ---
name = K2Pod
module = Part
author = JFJohnny5

// --- asset parameters ---
mesh = K2Pod.mu
scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 1

// --- node definitions ---
// definition format is Position X, Position Y, Position Z, Up X, Up Y, Up Z
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.44, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_top = 0.0, 1.43, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
bulkheadProfiles = size1, size0
CoPOffset = 0.0, 0.5, 0.0
CoLOffset = 0.0, -0.35, 0.0

// --- editor parameters ---
TechRequired = flightControl
entryCost = 4400
cost = 2200
category = Pods
subcategory = 0
title = K2 Command Pod
manufacturer = Castor-Pollux Industries
description = Through the use of some "creative engineering" and a technique which apparently makes it "bigger on the inside" the design team at CPI has managed to squeeze two Kerbals into a pod originally designed 

for just one! What a breakthrough! Just don't try to move around too much...

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 1.7

dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.15
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 14
maxTemp = 1200
skinMaxTemp = 2400

skinInternalConductionMult = 0.625
heatConductivity = 0.1 // 5/6ths default

vesselType = Ship

// --- internal setup ---
CrewCapacity = 2
tags = capsule cmg control ?eva fly gyro ?iva moment pilot react rocket space stab steer torque
INTERNAL
{
  name = K2_IVA
}

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleCommand
	minimumCrew = 1	
}
RESOURCE
{
	name = ElectricCharge
	amount = 75
	maxAmount = 75
}

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleReactionWheel

PitchTorque = 8
	YawTorque = 8
	RollTorque = 8

RESOURCE
	{
		name = ElectricCharge
		rate = 0.4
	}
}

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleScienceExperiment	

experimentID = crewReport

experimentActionName = Crew Report
	resetActionName = Discard Crew Report
	reviewActionName = Review Report

useStaging = False	
	useActionGroups = True
	hideUIwhenUnavailable = True	
	rerunnable = True

xmitDataScalar = 1.0

usageReqMaskInternal = 5
	usageReqMaskExternal = -1
}
MODULE
{
	name = ModuleScienceContainer

reviewActionName = Review Stored Data
	storeActionName = Store Experiments
	evaOnlyStorage = True
	storageRange = 1.5
}

RESOURCE
{
	name = MonoPropellant
	amount = 15
	maxAmount = 15
}

MODULE
{
      name = FlagDecal
      textureQuadName = flagTransform
}

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleConductionMultiplier
	modifiedConductionFactor = 0.003
	convectionFluxThreshold = 3000
}

}

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am having a problem which, I think, can only be attributed to the K2 Command Pod. If I have the K2 on a ship, then that ship's total crew capacity is decreased by 1, as if KSP thinks that the K2 is actually a MK1.

c73Kzu.png

Trying to transfer crew from the K2 to the MK1 Lander Can:

1r2EGh.png

The debug log has absolutely nothing of interest after switching scenes to the VAB, or to the launch pad.

Anyone else having this problem? It goes away if I replace the K2 with an MK1 Pod, but as long as there's a K2 on the ship it thinks whatever other containers are on the ship have 1 fewer capacity than they ought to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@jfjohnny5 I just installed the K2 and on the launchpad I'm not seeing the crew windows on the bottom right corner of the screen. I can right click on the pod and see Jeb in the "transfer crew" option, so I know he's in there.

Any idea?

(I am using 1.1.3 by the way, but I thought your part was pretty straightforward)

EDIT: removed, re-downloaded the Mod and the issue went away...strange, but fixed :)

Edited by tjt

On 8/9/2016 at 0:47 PM, Bombaatu said:

I'll have to try mating this pod with the "Appaloosa" back-seat pod from M.O.L.E. to see if I can get a viable early-game 3-Kerbal mission. :D

I tried that..it's not a great fit because MOLE and the other Gemini kits I've seen use 1.875 diameter.

I really love that K2 uses stock diameters because it means all my other parts work with it. It would be interesting to see a "K2 backseat" that expands out to 2.5 (to stay with stock sizes). if it held 2 more Kerbals you'd have a great 4 person command pod.

K2 fills a gap with a 2 person. With a 2 person backseat expander K2 could fill another gap by offering a 4 person command pod system too   :D  Personally I don't care if it's not exactly true to earth history. The K2 does a great job of symbolizing Gemini and enabling similar missions to be flown while having a unique Kerbal feel - a backseat could do the same thing.

• 4 weeks later...

Still the best 2 Kerbal pod IMO. There are a handful out there that fill their niche appropriately, but for my money this is the most synergistic 'Kerbal' stockalike pod if that's what you're after. Any plans to update the textures and or add lights on/off feature ala Ven's? Was it 1.1 that gave everything a crisper look? Either way, still a must have for me.

Cheers,

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, micha said:

Yes but not perfectly. 

I've (unofficially) patched it slightly:

http://github.com/mwerle/K2_Command_Pod

So what did you do and why?  I did grab your version - and it's the first time I've tried it.  Kinda nice.  Discovered I can recover it on 4 radial drogue chutes too - so I can pop a jr port on the nose and not have radial chutes that are as big as the pod...  LOL

2 hours ago, tg626 said:

So what did you do and why?

Read the commit logs :)

Basically just added a ModuleTransmitter (for CommNet) and a ModuleLiftingSurface (for better reentry handling ?) both mostly copied from the mk1 pod config.

Also fixed a couple of warnings eg. If ConnectedLivingSpace is not installed. 

I stuffed up the commit messages (it was late) but all the ones before "add readme" was just adding the old versions from the original author - should have been prefixed with "upstream release Xx".

34 minutes ago, micha said:

Read the commit logs :)

Basically just added a ModuleTransmitter (for CommNet) and a ModuleLiftingSurface (for better reentry handling ?) both mostly copied from the mk1 pod config.

Also fixed a couple of warnings eg. If ConnectedLivingSpace is not installed. 

I stuffed up the commit messages (it was late) but all the ones before "add readme" was just adding the old versions from the original author - should have been prefixed with "upstream release Xx".

Meaningful commit log entries!?  MADNESS!!!  

:D

Thanks for keeping it alive.  I lofted a MOL-alike mission tonight.  This still doesn't quite feel like "the one" (tho it's closest) but it really makes it obvious how much this game could use a 2 Kerbal capsule.

37 minutes ago, tg626 said:

Meaningful commit log entries!?  MADNESS!!!  

:D

:-D

I'm also trying to put together a set of MM patches for Corvus pod (it's needing quite a bit more TLC) but due to its licensing I can't just patch it directly.

Agreed that KSP could really do with a 2-Kerbal pod for the late early game.