[1.1.2] K2 Command Pod: Two Kerbal stock-alike pod (v1.4)

jfjohnny5

1 hour ago, micha said:

Read the commit logs :)

Basically just added a ModuleTransmitter (for CommNet) and a ModuleLiftingSurface (for better reentry handling ?) both mostly copied from the mk1 pod config.

Also fixed a couple of warnings eg. If ConnectedLivingSpace is not installed. 

I stuffed up the commit messages (it was late) but all the ones before "add readme" was just adding the old versions from the original author - should have been prefixed with "upstream release Xx".

Thanks for adding that. This is a go to pod for my games :)  

22 hours ago, tg626 said:

Um, your 1.4 release on GH does NOT have those changes in the cfg.  Looks like you zipped up the wrong files.

Umm, 1.4 is the last upstream commit by @jfjohnny5, not my tweaks.

I haven't made an unofficial release since I'm not the author of the mod (and he hasn't been away long enough for me to justify forking it yet) - just download the current Github snapshot to grab my tweaks.

7 hours ago, tg626 said:

Ok, I'm confused... Since it was your https://github.com/mwerle/K2_Command_Pod/releases I thought that latest release on that page was supposed to be the latest release.  NM.

Sorry about that. Since the original mod didn't have a source code repo, I added all the old releases (which I found on Curse) just to give it its proper history.

I've made an unofficial v1.5 release now - should stave off further confusion.

EDIT: Also, they weren't releases per se - just GitHub doing its automagic stuff with tags. What's on there now is a "proper" GitHub release.

Edited by micha

• 2 months later...
On 10/14/2016 at 9:11 PM, micha said:

Sorry about that. Since the original mod didn't have a source code repo, I added all the old releases (which I found on Curse) just to give it its proper history.

I've made an unofficial v1.5 release now - should stave off further confusion.

EDIT: Also, they weren't releases per se - just GitHub doing its automagic stuff with tags. What's on there now is a "proper" GitHub release.

@micha Are you going to be doing official support for this moving forward, since the original author hasn't been around for 7 months?

19 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Well, it seems that @micha hasn't been around since the middle of December, and the original author hasn't been around since May 20.

I'm going to wait until the weekend, at which time I'll fork and make a more official release with CKAN support

Great news! I love this mod and it would be great to see it continue

20 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Well, it seems that @micha hasn't been around since the middle of December, and the original author hasn't been around since May 20.

I'm going to wait until the weekend, at which time I'll fork and make a more official release with CKAN support

One thing to consider is making this appear later in the tech tree, I feel the node with the small lander can is a good choice. Where it is located currently is a bit OP, it's really easy to do pilot+scientist combos very early on  (game balance is a matter of opinion tho). This is a great command pod, the lighting on the kerbal portraits is gorgeous.

20 hours ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

One thing to consider is making this appear later in the tech tree, I feel the node with the small lander can is a good choice. Where it is located currently is a bit OP, it's really easy to do pilot+scientist combos very early on  (game balance is a matter of opinion tho). This is a great command pod, the lighting on the kerbal portraits is gorgeous.

Agreed. I've already modded mine to show up with the small lander can. They work really well together for early lunar landings with 2 person crews.

20 hours ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

13 minutes ago, Tyko said:

Agreed. I've already modded mine to show up with the small lander can. They work really well together for early lunar landings with 2 person crews.

Good points, will do that when I do the update.

Any other suggestions?  I was thinking about making them cost a bit more than the small lander can.  Also, the mass seems a bit lite

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Cost I don't care, the weight I like. However, I have no problem if you change it.

Wikipedia says the Mercury capsule had a mass about 2 tons and Gemini about 4. However, Gemini seems to include the service module. When looking at this, it seems, that the reentry capusle of Gemini also had only a mass about 2 tons. So for me a "little bit more" than the MK1 cockpit, as it is,  seems relative right. But, as I said, I have no problem with other solutions, too.

8 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Good points, will do that when I do the update.

Any other suggestions?  I was thinking about making them cost a bit more than the small lander can.  Also, the mass seems a bit lite

I agree that it's a bit too cheap. I carries double the crew and has to be a lot tougher to survive re-entry.

As far as weight? hmmm...there isn't a lot of consistency amongst the stock crew capsules, so I think you have a lot of latitude here. As a rule I've actually lightened the overly heavy capsules to achieve balance. The driving reason is that 1.2 made probes so much more capable that I didn't want to make crewed missions any harder.

20 minutes ago, Tyko said:

I agree that it's a bit too cheap. I carries double the crew and has to be a lot tougher to survive re-entry.

As far as weight? hmmm...there isn't a lot of consistency amongst the stock crew capsules, so I think you have a lot of latitude here. As a rule I've actually lightened the overly heavy capsules to achieve balance. The driving reason is that 1.2 made probes so much more capable that I didn't want to make crewed missions any harder.

mass = 1.25

entry_cost = 9000

cost = 5000

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 3 months later...
On 10/01/2017 at 3:07 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Hmm, while my gaming time has been -severely- curtailed I do still monitor the forums (mostly via email). For some reason I wasn't notified of this reply.

Anyway, I'm not likely to get much more time in the foreseeable future so it's great to see that you've picked this excellent little mod up, @linuxgurugamer.

• 10 months later...