gaming laptop

Cannon

i wanna buy a new gaming laptop and i found these 3:

http://www.amazon.com/G751JY-DH71-17-3-inch-Gaming-GeForce-Graphics/dp/B00NWE9RPA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1419620673&sr=8-5&keywords=asus+rog

http://www.amazon.com/G751JY-DH72X-17-3-inch-GeForce-Graphics-i7-4860HQ/dp/B00NWE9SBS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1419619598&sr=8-7&keywords=asus+rog

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-G751JY-DH72X-i7-4860HQ-GeForece-Notebook/dp/B00Q6QYNXM/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&qid=1419620678&sr=8-27&keywords=asus+rog

but i got some questions.

1. why is the last one so much more expensive than second one, while having not so different specifications?

2.what's better

• Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz (Turbo up to 3.5GHz) or
  • Intel Core i7-4860HQ 2.4GHz (Turbo up to 3.6GHz) ?

4860 sounds better but has 0.1GHz less than 4710, what do you think?

and btw which one would you buy?

Don't get a gaming laptop, trust me. I'm typing this on mine.

Most don't have the graphics capability to display modern games (Gta IV, Far Cry 3, you know...), and it's impossible to upgrade them. They also cost more than building yourself a Desktop PC.

Do yourself a favor and buy components for a Desktop, or go to a tech shop where they can assist you. In the long run, it'll be much better for you.

I've had Asus, alienware, and clevo.

Go with clevo. There are a bunch of builders and boutiques that will put you together a pretty good desktop replacement that will handle most games at highest settings. But you have to be ready to spend some money.

My laptop was 2300$, which I can see is in your budget.

Check out mailbal and mythlogic. Those two shops are run by pros. Mythlogic has a live support chat you can use during configuration that will respond to the exact questions you posted here. Plus they offer replacement insurance.

Be advised, a 17" desktop replacement is not as portable as you might think. They are portable, but also heavy heat generating monsters. Make sure you get a quality cooling pad with customizable fans. Clean it regularly, and be aware of how the power supply plugs into the laptop.

Clevo systems can be upgraded. Mythogic offers an at cost upgrade path.

Edited by xcorps

Most don't have the graphics capability to display modern games (Gta IV, Far Cry 3, you know...), and it's impossible to upgrade them. They also cost more than building yourself a Desktop PC.

Do yourself a favor and buy components for a Desktop, or go to a tech shop where they can assist you. In the long run, it'll be much better for you.

^Totally agree. Gaming laptops are a racket. Building your own desktop is absolutely the way to go. If you need portability for LAN parties, they make smaller desktop cases with handles and the like that you can still fit very powerful hardware into.

Telling someone to not purchase something that they obviously want is not going to really help them. The question was not "What are the relative merits between laptops and desktops in regards to gaming?" It was "I want a gaming laptop so what should I get?"

If you need portability for LAN parties...

What if you travel every single day, sometimes more than once, and don't always come home and sleep every night or even every weekend?

Edited by 5thHorseman

Telling someone to not purchase something that they obviously want is not going to really help them. The question was not "What are the relative merits between laptops and desktops in regards to gaming?" It was "I want a gaming laptop so what should I get?"

What if you travel every single day, sometimes more than once, and don't always come home and sleep every night or even every weekend?

exactly

and btw, i want it to be able to run new games like far cry 4, assassins creed unity, etc... on ultra smoothly, which should be possible with this kind of laptop:

exactly

and btw, i want it to be able to run new games like far cry 4, assassins creed unity, etc... on ultra smoothly, which should be possible with this kind of laptop:

Getting a good laptop which can run games which good graphics and a nice flow is totally possible. But the real question is to know if it's worth it. The reason I'm from a laptop is that I need a platform I can bring along everywhere, as I study computer science, I need to bring everything everywhere, and my budget doesn't allow me to have both a gaming rig and a mobile workstation. So I went with a 1300$ laptop. AMD-A10 2.3GHz, 15.6" screen, dual graphics card Radeon HD 7670 2Gb deducated + Radeon HD 7660 integrated memory, 8Gb of ram. It rolls most games very smoothly, and I plug myself on my 22" monitor and fan plate when I play. But given I had the budget, is it eorth it? Absolutely not. I could have had a twice as performant custom built gaming rig for the same price, had I not been stuck needing a laptop.

Laptops /can/ do the job, but really it's a questionable investment to buy a laptop to play from. At your place, I'd consider seriously the reason why you want your gaming platform to be a laptop. I'm absolutely positive that for the same amount of money put into this, you WILL get much better results with a tower PC.

btw, i want it to be able to run new games like far cry 4, assassins creed unity, etc... on ultra smoothly, which should be possible with this kind of laptop:

You're going to need a lot more than a flashy laptop to get AC:U to run smoothly.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I hate these kind of comments. For christ's sake, it's like if someone walks into a hardware store, you ask them for a drill and they start going on endlessly about what you really need is a battery powered chainsaw. We KNOW that desktops are more powerful and that on average they have a better bang-for-your-buck than laptops. People know this, you don't need to repeat it to them. When a person says "I'm looking for a laptop" they will have reasons for needing a laptop. Whether it's to type something on the go, at school, at work. Whatever, it needs to be MOBILE. No desktop will ever be as mobile as a laptop.

That being said, I do sort of agree that a "gaming" laptop is probably a bad idea. Just get a solid regular laptop. Anything that has the term "gaming" on it is just using it as a marketting gimick. They slap a nice coat of black paint on it, give it a red logo and increase the price by an extra 15% (which ends up being quite a lot for these high end laptops). And yeah, I think the only difference between the three you posted is slight differences in the Core i7 CPU they all have. You'd have to look at their specs sheets to find out the nitty gritty details.

http://ark.intel.com/products/78930/Intel-Core-i7-4710HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz

http://ark.intel.com/products/76089/Intel-Core-i7-4860HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

EDIT:

I just realized, if your budget is that high you should look at Maingear:

http://www.maingear.com/custom/notebooks/nomad17/

http://www.maingear.com/boutique/pc/configurePrd.asp?idproduct=2222

They're a boutique builders, so the quality is usually very good. You can customize their Nomad to have roughly the same specs as that Asus there, but it'll end up costing you only 2500$.

Edited by PTNLemay

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I hate these kind of comments. For christ's sake, it's like if someone walks into a hardware store, you ask them for a drill to cut down some trees in your yard and they start going on endlessly about what you really need is a battery powered chainsaw.

If the point of the comment is that it is absolutely not worth it, then it would be more that. The OP asked for something that wouldn't be deliverable (according to Kryten, who I trust), and it is fine if somebody wants to try to convince him otherwise. You might argue on the semantics of a post saying that, if you believe it should be worded more diplomatically or in a more relevant manner, but the content of the post is valid enough.

On the other hand, not every post in the thread should be of this, and if the OP makes it clear that this is what he wants, people who disagree with the concept should back off.

The OP asked for something that wouldn't be deliverable.

A laptop that can play games? Why do you think that that's impossible?

Unless your criteria for being able to game include full 3840 X 2160 at 120 frames per second with all the graphical settings turned up to extreme. Then... yes, gaming on a laptop would be impossible. For the other 95% of gaming that people will be doing, plenty of laptops have enough horsepower to run games very respectably.

A laptop that can play games? Why do you think that that's impossible?

Unless your criteria for being able to game include full 3840 X 2160 at 120 frames per second with all the graphical settings turned up to extreme. Then... yes, gaming on a laptop would be impossible. For the other 95% of gaming that people will be doing, plenty of laptops have enough horsepower to run games very respectably.

exactly

I said it wouldn't be deliverable according to Kryten (who clarified what he meant above), and what he wants may or may not come with caveats he is unaware of (he probably knows the portability of gaming laptops, he did his research) which is why I defended the right to comment about how unfeasible this may be in some poster's eyes.

I posted this in another thread and figured it would go well here as well. Most of the time I get over 30fps in KSP unless I'm doing something crazy. And remember, this is over a year old, almost 16 months.

ASUS G75VW

17.3" monitor (The specs say 1366x768 but I've been running 1920x1080 since I bought the laptop)

i7-3610QM CPU (2.30GHz) (8 cores, not that KSP cares)

DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM (16 Gig, not that KSP cares)

GeForce GTX 660M/670M

Seagate 750GB 7200rpm drive

4 USB ports (I sometimes wish there were 5)

7.8 pounds, which people seem to think makes it "heavy."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.