[1.0.2] B9 Aerospace | Procedural Parts 0.40 | Updated 09.06.15

bac9

Looked into part size interface once more, looks like it accepts not an absolute size in meters but a scaling multiplier derived from the current dimensions divided by default dimensions (which is extremely weird).

Unfortunately, while this idea seems to be correct for length, width and thickness are still calculated completely wrong when size is sent from my module in that format, so I'm going to assume that the size interface is completely broken right now. Sorry, supporting small career SPH is pretty much impossible.

Feature idea: Vertical offset to allow for smooth-looking gull wings. The joints you get from rotating the wings leave awkward little splits in the wing. Minor detail, and not really necessary, but... Pretty please?

It's impossible to rotate frame of reference for FAR from within a part, so it's a no go, you'll have to deal with rotating the wing parts themselves.

Edited by bac9

I'm loving this mod so much that I spent all my free time building these days...its so easy with your part pack now. You're so talented.

Anyway I'd like to report a bug where fuel amount left in wings never gets saved...they get recorded as fully filled in the savefile regardless of how much fuel is left in them, so save and reload and I get all my fuel back. Happens all the time.

Bug with fuel in B9 procedural wings still exists. This time I didn't update any mods between saves. Qucksaved in flight and couple of minutes later reloaded game again.

I think that is entierly B9 procedural wing bug, because fuel consumed in other tanks are saved/loaded properly.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Also, while I was design that craft on last picture it comes to my mind that it will be usefull for new FAR AoA feature for control surfaces/all moving wings that can be adjusted in flight trough action groups. It will help a lot to make more stable planes when you have heavy cargo onboard and release that cargo in space.

While you return to runway, previous good AOA settings for all moving wing could be too much causing plane to backflip.

Backfliping problem could be solved in flight if you can adjust new AoA settings in flight.

Bug with fuel in B9 procedural wings still exists. This time I didn't update any mods between saves. Qucksaved in flight and couple of minutes later reloaded game again.

I think that is entierly B9 procedural wing bug, because fuel consumed in other tanks are saved/loaded properly.

http://imgur.com/a/3fqqA

Also, while I was design that craft on last picture it comes to my mind that it will be usefull for new FAR AoA feature for control surfaces/all moving wings that can be adjusted in flight trough action groups. It will help a lot to make more stable planes when you have heavy cargo onboard and release that cargo in space.

While you return to runway, previous good AOA settings for all moving wing could be too much causing plane to backflip.

Backfliping problem could be solved in flight if you can adjust new AoA settings in flight.

Can be solved with a trim tank

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, but knowing exactly what angle your wings are at doesn't tell you whether it's going to perform well aerodynamically.

Tweaking W/S allow you to reach a certain optimum cruising wing angle of attack, then you can set wing root install angle so that fuselage has 0 deg angle of attack in cruise for smaller Cd.

This way you can at quite a bit of L/D especially for large aircraft.

Version 0.32

r5ws7xH.pngAXkQOlc.png

• Potential fix for resources being replenished on craft reload (capacity correction executed every time volume is updated might have been at fault)
  • Some GUI skin improvements

bac9 this is looking better and better every time I peek in here.

I just want to say that your alternative UI has matured quite a lot and I dare say right now this mod has the single best tweakables UI ever made for KSP!

I agree with Agathorn. I really like the GUI that bac9 has created.

A quick cross-post: I created this Eurofighter using bac9's wings:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Setting wing angles to whatever you want ( within 0.1 deg increments anyway ):

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8667/16437209312_cde66b7f99_c.jpg

Notice the roll angle in the window in the upper left mid. No need to put something like that in a wing part.

I used this before but it seems to creat more problem as it randomly changes the normal and fine angles sometimes. When you have multi axis rotation, angle display can be really messed up.

If it's not too much trouble, would you consider adding progressive tech tree access, similar to what Procedural Fairings does, making different size limits available at different tech tree nodes?

In an effort to reduce my memory usage, I'm trying to replace as many stock parts with procedurals as possible, but the B9 wings turn up so late in the tech progression that I may have to bring back the stock wings.

Is there any way variable geometry wings could be added to this? Something like having wings switch from one shape to another via an action group?

If it's not too much trouble, would you consider adding progressive tech tree access, similar to what Procedural Fairings does, making different size limits available at different tech tree nodes?

In an effort to reduce my memory usage, I'm trying to replace as many stock parts with procedurals as possible, but the B9 wings turn up so late in the tech progression that I may have to bring back the stock wings.

You may wish to look into the mod oriented tech tree mod, it puts this mod at 90 science.

If it's not too much trouble, would you consider adding progressive tech tree access, similar to what Procedural Fairings does, making different size limits available at different tech tree nodes?.

I guess that KSP tech size limiter is silly.

In real life we are not limited by size in any structure we do. Only by cost and the type of material that we use.

Tech can give us new materials which increase our strength over the same mass, then our budget will be the one that limits the things we can build.

I'll look into it, but it requires some problematic changes so probably not in a next version.

Is there any way variable geometry wings could be added to this? Something like having wings switch from one shape to another via an action group?

No, that's not possible. Look into Infernal Robotics if you are interested in rotating part connections. This is an extremely complicated area and I don't think my mod should touch it when specialized plugins exist.

That would be morphing wings rather than variable sweep, which is not something I think anyone has tried yet. What we need is an IR model specifically for wings, like a glove, with the strength set up specifically for wing attachment.

Thanks for fix with fuel bug, that was fast.

Suggestion for one of next releases regarding tech tree balance:

Make it earlier in tech nodes, but if it is possible alow using different textures on wings on different tech levels.

Textures could be related to cost, mass and max heating/shielding. Don't know if something like that can be done at all or it is too much effort for little gain, but it is something to consider in one of future updates.

@bac9, Sorry if I'm too pushy, the question was asked before - What do you think about implementing solar panel surface for your wing? Is it possible at all?

Thumbs up for this, it will be nice addition and to keep gameplay balance could be prohibited to use fuel on same wing that have solar panel surface.

Take your time, no need to rush things, I assume that you have some sleepless nights lately, judging from frequent updates :)

Thanks for fix with fuel bug, that was fast.

Suggestion for one of next releases regarding tech tree balance:

Make it earlier in tech nodes, but if it is possible alow using different textures on wings on different tech levels.

Textures could be related to cost, mass and max heating/shielding. Don't know if something like that can be done at all or it is too much effort for little gain, but it is something to consider in one of future updates.

Those are good ideas!

I was thinking in terms of size/geometry limits. On one side you'd have a rocket vanes track limited to a maximum square length and width keyed to the largest fuel tank you've unlocked, but with some sweeping/tapering allowed within the size limit.

On the other side there'd be an aviation track, starting with small rectangular wings and control surfaces, say, limited to 2x4m; enough to get a simple single-engine plane off the ground, and enable larger wings, sweeping, tapering, and thickness adjustments at later nodes.

Also other features could be scienced-in, such as enabling fuel loading at the same node you get fuel lines at.

Just throwing ideas up there, y'know. Do what you want with them.

@bac9, Sorry if I'm too pushy, the question was asked before - What do you think about implementing solar panel surface for your wing? Is it possible at all?

Nope, I don't see any good way to do it, I'm already using every single bit of information you can cram into meshes and every single texture channel. There is no way to render solar panel variety without some surface switching options.

Edited by bac9

Getting an odd NULLREF error when I tried to use this mod lastnight. I didnt get much of a chance to try and test it out and find the problem. I will test and see if it is a conflict error or some kind of install error. It was odd it was working fine then out of no where I started getting a string of Nullref errors.

Nope, I don't see any good way to do it, I'm already using every single bit of information you can cram into meshes and every single texture channel. There is no way to render solar panel variety without some surface switching options.

Another model? :P I'd imagine light solar wings would be a different profile anyway. However that is another model with all the setup, etc.

One geometry enhancement I'd like is to be able to pin the angle of a leading or trailing edge while I'm adjusting - that way if you're trying to stitch two segments together lengthways you can (eg) easily adjust the trailing edge by changing the tip size without having to go and redo the offset, which is getting slightly annoying.

Edited by Van Disaster

@bac9 I'm just wondering about one thing. What about adding buttons to create bigger wings, like this↓?

(quite same as that in Procedural Parts and TweakScale)

[<<][length:29.40m ][>>]

and the buttons on the side increase or decrease the section of wing length or so?

--updated--

Sorry I didn't describe it well... here's an image I made to describe this:e650400e0cf3d7caba3ec740f61fbe096a63a9ab.jpg

THX!

(I've got a cold these days...)

Edited by 01010101lzy

Version 0.32

• Potential fix for resources being replenished on craft reload (capacity correction executed every time volume is updated might have been at fault)
  • Some GUI skin improvements

Unfortunately, fix only works if you quicksave/quickload. If you put plane in orbit, save game(exit to space center) quit to desktop and run KSP again and fly ship previously saved in orbit, resouces in wings are replenished again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.