[1.0.2] B9 Aerospace | Procedural Parts 0.40 | Updated 09.06.15

bac9

4 hours ago, Paul_Sawyer said:

Hello!
I'm encountering some conflicts of B9 wings (unofficial release by Crzyrndm) with the new Deadly Reentry, when the debug is throwing NullReference exceptions. NathanKell in the DRE thread mentioned, that it is connected to ModuleHeatShield module which is being undefined by DRE, so I'm wondering if there is any way to fix this, or maybe there is some patch somewhere that I missed?

Starwaster explained issue in DRE thread. Fix should be more/less simple - to write MM config patch for B9 PW that will give proper values.
Unfortunately, I have no clue what value should be used for ModuleHeatShield to create such config file.

You should be patient and wait for someone with better knowlage like Crzyrndm or Starwaster to write proper MM config file for B9 PW.
Until then it is either, don't use DRE and B9PW at the same time. Hopefully, both of our post will be noticed and we should not wait for fix for too long.

1 hour ago, NathanKell said:

The config shouldn't even be there anymore, the heat shield module is only used for things with ablator now, non-ablative heat shields don't need a module.

So what we should do is just delete these lines in all configs, right?

Spoiler

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleHeatShield
        direction = 0, 0, 0 // no direction specified until DRE implements per-axis reflectivity
        reflective = 0.25 // 25% of heat is ignored at correct angle
    }

I'm curious...the painting method seems very similar to the rather wonderful KerbPaint. Would it be possible to expand it's functionality so it does indeed allow the same possibilities? As in painting parts other than just B9 wing with the ability to create our own shader maps.

Maybe there will be a KerbPaint revival but I have horrible feeling the conversion to Unity 5 might be the final nail in its coffin.

Edit: Should have perhaps searched the thread first but I see how this differs, sort of, though I hope you consider the "KerbPaint 2" concept.

Edited by Manwith Noname

3 hours ago, NathanKell said:

The painting method works because the wings have a special shader applied and have masking set up for them. I.e. exactly what KerbPaint does for other parts.

It's a bit more complicated than KerbPaint - to avoid breaking the material into hundreds of unique instances across the differently tweaked craft parts, I drive the shader without modifying any material properties. Instead, color comes from the vertices of the mesh itself. Specifically, UV2 and vertex colors are used to drive color, opacity and texture layers the shader will draw. I think I had an image with a breakdown of that somewhere in the thread.

Edited by bac9

1 hour ago, Whovian41110 said:

How is this to be installed?  When will it be updated to 1.0.5

It is updated for 1.0.5. Athough you need to look for link buried somewhere in this thread. Crzyrndm use to have link for it in his signature. CKAN have proper link for 1.0.5. B9PW repository "unofficial" but with permission from bac9.  I feel generous today, so here is link for unofficial B9PW repository on github.

56 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

It is updated for 1.0.5. Athough you need to look for link buried somewhere in this thread. Crzyrndm use to have link for it in his signature. CKAN have proper link for 1.0.5. B9PW repository "unofficial" but with permission from bac9.  I feel generous today, so here is link for unofficial B9PW repository on github.

So I downloaded it.  the only folder is called B9_Aerospace  am I to merge the B9 folder with the downloaded one?

Edited by Whovian41110

9 minutes ago, Whovian41110 said:

So I downloaded it.  the only folder is called B9_Aerospace  am I to merge the B9 folder with the downloaded one?

Yup. So any time you update B9 you need to remember to reinstall p-wings as well. There is an alternate texture available from the regular download. It works with the unofficial one. I personally like that texture better but it's all preference.

2 hours ago, Whovian41110 said:

The mod works but how do I make the wing go "out"? (i.e. the length and tip adjustment works just fine but the width out from the plane doesn't work)

I'm not sure what you mean by "make the wing go out". You can click on "Title" in options like (Edge (leading)) that gives more options - see picture below.
From top to bottom:

• Length - influence overall lenghth of wing - to left/right from craft hull
  • Width(root) - influence surface area near craft hull (length along to nose/tail of craft) - really don't know how better to describe it
  • Width(tip) - similar like above - influence area near tip (rightmost/leftmost part of wing)
  • Thickness(root) - how thick(fat) wing is near craft hull
  • Thickness(tip) - how thick(fat) wing is on rightmost/leftmost edge

4d6Nc1w.jpg

Don't forget that you don't need to create wing from one piece. For large wings it is better to craft them with 2-3 pieces instead of one. It offers much more possibilities.
You can find some craft examples (almost all created with B9PW) in link in signature to figure out how to creat wing that suits your needs.

1 hour ago, kcs123 said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "make the wing go out". You can click on "Title" in options like (Edge (leading)) that gives more options - see picture below.
From top to bottom:

• Length - influence overall lenghth of wing - to left/right from craft hull
  • Width(root) - influence surface area near craft hull (length along to nose/tail of craft) - really don't know how better to describe it
  • Width(tip) - similar like above - influence area near tip (rightmost/leftmost part of wing)
  • Thickness(root) - how thick(fat) wing is near craft hull
  • Thickness(tip) - how thick(fat) wing is on rightmost/leftmost edge

4d6Nc1w.jpg

Don't forget that you don't need to create wing from one piece. For large wings it is better to craft them with 2-3 pieces instead of one. It offers much more possibilities.
You can find some craft examples (almost all created with B9PW) in link in signature to figure out how to creat wing that suits your needs.

What I meant was how do I extend the wingspan of the craft?

7 minutes ago, Whovian41110 said:

What I meant was how do I extend the wingspan of the craft?

That is first option - Base - Length. But you can extend it only up to 16m. If you need more wingspan, attach another B9 wing piece to the tip of wing that is attached to craft hull.
Again, check out link in signature, it is quite possible to create large wings with this method.

4 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

That is first option - Base - Length. But you can extend it only up to 16m. If you need more wingspan, attach another B9 wing piece to the tip of wing that is attached to craft hull.
Again, check out link in signature, it is quite possible to create large wings with this method.

how do I get sweep?  I don't see that anywhere in the thread.  EDIT My root offset and tip offset are quickly going into infinity.  Is that a problem?

Edited by Whovian41110

1 minute ago, Whovian41110 said:

how do I get sweep?  I don't see that anywhere in the thread.

With option Base - Offset(tip).

Just attach wing to craft hull and try only one option at time. You will quickly learn what does what. Although, depending on wing size, you might increase a lot some of those to see noticable visual change.

3 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

With option Base - Offset(tip).

Just attach wing to craft hull and try only one option at time. You will quickly learn what does what. Although, depending on wing size, you might increase a lot some of those to see noticable visual change.

But these values increase rapidly towards infinity

Edited by Whovian41110

6 minutes ago, Whovian41110 said:

But these values increase rapidly towards infinity

Then something must gone wrong with your install. You can set length(wingspan) only up to 16m. And you can offset wing tip from -8.00m to max of +8.00m
-8 m gives swept wing to plane nose while with +8m you get swept wing to plane tail.

If you got infinite numbers something seems wrong. Post a screenshot of that wing, one picture speeks for thousens words.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.