[1.0.2] B9 Aerospace | Procedural Parts 0.40 | Updated 09.06.15

bac9

He's got the modified version (not the one from this thread) that doesn't have size limits (I can't remember who modified it, but there was a few comments a couple of pages back and another thread somewhere)

EDIT

On 30/11/2015 at 3:32 AM, 01010101lzy said:

Forked this, and started heavy modification on it.

GitHub branch here: https://github.com/01010101lzy/B9-PWings-Fork/

Edited by Crzyrndm

4 minutes ago, Crzyrndm said:

He's got the modified version (not the one from this thread) that doesn't have size limits (I can't remember who modified it, but there was a few comments a couple of pages back and another thread somewhere)

EDIT

So how do I fix this?

If this mod is going to be developed again - first of all: Awesome!!!

Second, I had an idea (based on Star Trek & Wars) that would need procedural wings:

There is some canon in Star Trek, and at least fanon in Star Wars, that starships that execute atmospheric travelings (the millenium falcon is hardly aerodynamically sound, for example) use their deflector shields to act as [virtually invisible] wings while in atmosphere.

I think that would be pretty cool for KSP (especially as one who runs KSPI & went to the trouble of integrating it into mk2-form parts for my hyper-advanced spaceplanes).

My vision based on that is a procedural wing part, with a toggle for the wing, with a shield generator model flush along the line of the base of the wing... I am unsure how feasible, if at all, that is from the existing code. I hope it sounds like a good/cool idea though...

I would imagine that an electric-y texture would look so cool for the wing (kind of like the animation from this part: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/30929-bussard-ramjet/)

4 hours ago, Whovian41110 said:

So how do I fix this?

No fixes for now, because I didn't get the code clear. I AM TRYING to, but it didn't help for now. (I'm having my final exams in weeks, and I don't have much time on it)

thanks for supporting this.

--edited--

see below

Edited by 01010101lzy

I'm noticing that control surfaces won't always mount perpendicular to the wing surface. Seems like it's related to the wing you're attaching it to. I can place a new wing and the existing control surface will attach properly. But, I can't attach a new control surface to an existing "broken" wing.

Is it just me or do the control surfaces attach not quite at a neutral angle to a wing?

I got back to using this mod now that it's been clarified that you don't need FAR for it to work. In any event, I'm now trying to build an SSTO to launch three RT comsats. I was placing a control surface to a wing and noticed it wasn't aligned properly. I rotated the surface in every direct and compared it to the wing (the wing was in a neutral, right-angle alignment; no angle offset). Definitely off-angle by default.

I got around this by attaching the control surface to the wing, going into rotation edit, switching to Absolute mode, and keeping Angle Snap on. Just clicking on the rotation circles for the control surface would snap it into proper alignment. I happen to have Part Angle Display installed as well. The angle offset seems to be under 1 degree (0.82 if my math is right.)

It's a minor thing and I have a work around, but maybe something to look at later?

9 minutes ago, StahnAileron said:

Is it just me or do the control surfaces attach not quite at a neutral angle to a wing?

I got back to using this mod now that it's been clarified that you don't need FAR for it to work. In any event, I'm now trying to build an SSTO to launch three RT comsats. I was placing a control surface to a wing and noticed it wasn't aligned properly. I rotated the surface in every direct and compared it to the wing (the wing was in a neutral, right-angle alignment; no angle offset). Definitely off-angle by default.

I got around this by attaching the control surface to the wing, going into rotation edit, switching to Absolute mode, and keeping Angle Snap on. Just clicking on the rotation circles for the control surface would snap it into proper alignment. I happen to have Part Angle Display installed as well. The angle offset seems to be under 1 degree (0.82 if my math is right.)

It's a minor thing and I have a work around, but maybe something to look at later?

The issue with alignment of control surfaces attached to wings is usually due to slight offset of the wing to the fuselage. So for instance. Attach a wing to a straight fuel tank. Control surfaces attach per normal. Attach a wing to anything with a curve to it like a nose cone. And the control surfaces wont attach properly. A trick I use, is to put a" test" wing in place to get the dimensions right. Then place a new wing straight up off of a flat sided central part like a fuel tank. Copy all dimensions attach a control surface then move the whole "perfect" wing to it's proper place, replacing the "test" wing. Not perfect, but it will make for a clean wing.

I know you mentioned the angle is less than a degree off. But you did not note it as being "zero" the wings need a perfect angle to start with or the control surfaces will not mount perfect.

5 minutes ago, V8jester said:

The issue with alignment of control surfaces attached to wings is usually due to slight offset of the wing to the fuselage. So for instance. Attach a wing to a straight fuel tank. Control surfaces attach per normal. Attach a wing to anything with a curve to it like a nose cone. And the control surfaces wont attach properly. A trick I use, is to put a" test" wing in place to get the dimensions right. Then place a new wing straight up off of a flat sided central part like a fuel tank. Copy all dimensions attach a control surface then move the whole "perfect" wing to it's proper place, replacing the "test" wing. Not perfect, but it will make for a clean wing.

I know you mentioned the angle is less than a degree off. But you did not note it as being "zero" the wings need a perfect angle to start with or the control surfaces will not mount perfect.

Well, I did place the wing on an  OPT J hull, though I did attach it with angle snap set to 90 degree (I have Editor Extensions installed as well). I need to run off someplace soon-ish, so I can't check right now, but I'll probably double check later (using absolute rotation mode to check the wing orientation). I'm fairly sure it's aligned properly on the horizontal plane, but like you said, I didn't check that directly. The control surface aligned perfectly with the wing in absolute mode, so I inferred the wing was already aligned in the absolute coordinates (rather than relative).

Is it possible to increase maximal sizes for the parts? I use them not only for airplanes but for ships as well, and that requires truly large panels.
Decreasing the "step size" it uses when pressing buttons on the sides of a slider would be awesome as well.

On 6/01/2016 at 5:33 AM, sashan said:

Decreasing the "step size" it uses when pressing buttons on the sides of a slider would be awesome as well.

Right click will give you smaller steps

51 minutes ago, ABZB said:

Kerbal Joint reinforcement by default ignores parts with the Procedural wings module... is there a current reason for that to be so?

There may be a conflict. There is some attachment point configuring as part of the resizing, but I don't know exactly how KJR works

I removed the line in the KJR XML file that disabled for procedural wing-module-bearing parts, so far no ill effects, and the plane-exploding wobble of my larger wing segments has ceased!

For anyone else is using KJR, it seems to be worth a shot.

It might have been a fix for a problem that is long since fixed...

I just checked, the only joint modification these do is the breaking force/torque. The actual strength of the joint is not modified (should probably fix that), unless it's tied to that property. Original PWings is the same deal (no surprises there since this was largely lifted straight from the original...)

Edited by Crzyrndm

2 hours ago, Jerry060599 said:

Is it just me or is the unofficial release of this mod for 1.0.5 not compatible with the lastest FAR? All procedural wings seem to provide little to no lift. 

It's you. Logs?

Edited by Svm420

Here it is: 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-AmS2w7GkSQdXdEQ3dPRXV2VnM/view?usp=sharing

Pastebin would stop responding so I had to use drive. At [LOG 09:39:52.584] and [LOG 09:40:36.701] there seems to be some Kraken work. At [LOG 09:41:19.195] you see Jeb heroically giving up his life for this science data.

Edited by Jerry060599

The exception being thrown there during UpdateMaterials is a little concerning as that would prevent any update of the mesh geometry if it persisted (but if that was the case I'd expect the wings to look really funky...).

I would start with a clean manual (not CKAN) install of this and FAR + dependencies to make sure its not a third mod interfering. If it persists, enable all the logging options from the window in the Space Center scene and upload the log from that, the craft file, and the module manager cache. If it doesn't persist then you have the fun job of working out what the conflict was :P

On 08.01.2016 at 1:24 AM, ABZB said:

Kerbal Joint reinforcement by default ignores parts with the Procedural wings module... is there a current reason for that to be so?

Re-enabling it broke nothing but made my ship rigid like it should be. Airplanes also work just OK. I now want to test compatibility with TweakScale rescaling module.
P.S. YEs, I'm also using the wings for planes. It's jut that they are so flexible that the ships turn out to be are no worse than planes. :P 

12465836_835741256548541_445133563926530

After about an hour of testing and another hour lurking reddit while the game loads, I think I got the issue. Somehow, FAR doesn't like the S2 SAS unit and I didn't notice until I built a plane. Idk if the lack of lift come from this or not but I guess Ill just do without FAR for now...

1 minute ago, Jerry060599 said:

After about an hour of testing and another hour lurking reddit while the game loads, I think I got the issue. Somehow, FAR doesn't like the S2 SAS unit and I didn't notice until I built a plane. Idk if the lack of lift come from this or not but I guess Ill just do without FAR for now...

Logs would probably reveal the issue.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.