KSP Nostalgia.

Mars90000000

So I've been playing KSP since version 0.11 (or 0.13, I forget), and thoroughly enjoy the beta version now, but, I was going through pictures I had and found some screenshots for older versions of the game and thought I'd share some of the relics I found.

Sorry if this is the wrong section to post this, but to make this in to a discussion... What are your fondest memories of KSP (extra points for screenshots)?

When there were no other fancy buildings:

screenshot2_zps9c0e27b1.png

screenshot0_zpsd02b01da.png

screenshot22_zpse4642dc5.png

Eve_zpsa39f9032.png

screenshot32_zpsd4589962.png

Trying to land on a gas planet... because why not.

screenshot17-1_zps9d7a7b34.png

Well that didn't work...

screenshot20-1_zps188cb945.png

Edited by Mars90000000

THOSE ENGINES!!!!!!!!!!! I first started playing in v0.13 and I searched up "KSP mods" on the internet (mind you this was well before any major mod hosting site was around). I downloaded that engine (which was also red for me) as well as some other pieces which I learned how to edit config files from. When I joined, the jet engine wasn't a stock part yet and the only planetary body there was was the Mun... Good old days indeed.

Oh hey, we're doing the old screenshots thing?

Well, there's my obligatory first orbital sunrise:

orbitalsunrise.png

My first designs, not having access to struts nor to symmetry, had some flaws:

explosivemachineside.png

But I optimized rapidly. Here's the time I figured out parachutes were unnecessary and built my first SSTO:

KSP%20-%20X33.png

New features led to new abuses of those features, and also glitches:

KSP%20-%20VAB%20hiccup.png

Later, I discovered the uses of C7's wing mods:

KSP%20-%20Who%20needs%20a%20pilot%20anyways.png

and the abuses:

KSP%20-%20Ultralight.png

and then filed the first bug report on infiniglide:

KSP%20-%20screw%20physics.png

Some old-school rocketboating:

KSP%20-%20Rocketboating.png

Texture editing used to be very easy. I don't think NovaSilisko ever forgave me:

KSP%20-%20On%20the%20pad.png

KSP%20-%20I%20Am%20A%20God.png

EDIT:

And back when we didn't have a lot of stuff to do in KSP, there was a competition on the forums known as "drag racing"; fastest to 100km won.

This is where the competition eventually led:

KSP%20-%20More%20boosters.png

Edited by foamyesque

My first rendezvous in something pre-0.14 when there was no manouver nodes or other fancy indicators. And then lasering the s*** out of the other vessel, because why the hell not!

Also abusing cheaty mods and building aircraft SSTOs looking like whales with C7 parts. The times when there was only one type of fuel and jet engines with insane vac ISP...

My first rendezvous in something pre-0.14 when there was no manouver nodes or other fancy indicators. And then lasering the s*** out of the other vessel, because why the hell not!

Also abusing cheaty mods and building aircraft SSTOs looking like whales with C7 parts. The times when there was only one type of fuel and jet engines with insane vac ISP...

I remember my first successful rendezvous. It was by accident. I wanted to approach it fast to hit it and see everything explode but I noticed I was slightly off course and would not hit it dead centre so I decided to slow down and try approaching again to aim better. As I was getting slower and slower and finally started to head back where I came from, I was slow enough and close enough to the docking port that it just snapped right on to the vessel :P

I joined in 0.15.2, I think the old KSC should be re-introduced as a 2.5 tier KSC, just for a giggle.

I still remember the first time I got a kerbal on the Mün, the pod fell of and bill was left stranded, but the feeling of achievement for getting to the Mün has not yet been matched by something in game (except maybe getting to Minmus, an even more mysterious and unreachable body) or even real life.

Anyone remember the old BFE-6000 mod?

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/VvqHmucNr1Y/maxresdefault.jpg

Now that was an engine! Scarily enough, the NASA engines aren't that much smaller than it...

Now that's a blast from the past (almost literally). :) Funny how it doesn't look as absurdly big now that we're in the age of tweakscale and procedural parts.

Oh hey, we're doing the old screenshots thing?

And back when we didn't have a lot of stuff to do in KSP, there was a competition on the forums known as "drag racing"; fastest to 100km won.

This is where the competition eventually led:

http://awesome.redial.net/KSP%20-%20More%20boosters.png

I tried that... without struts

52DBC47D8D68F5EA1D44417B71EDFD696D63496D

Looking at those pictures, all I can say is Wow. KSP has come a long, long way. :cool:

I started with v0.23.5 ... so I'm still a noob lol.

I was sort of a ghost all the way back in v0.14.4 when I sort of kept up on the development and what the game was like while I debated on buying it, but I didn't buy the game until (not kidding) the week before 0.23.5 came out. I was so glad I bought it. I had no idea how much I didn't understand about the game before buying it. I thought it was so much simpler. :P

Edited by Lhathron the Elf

I've got a couple of "no idea what I was doing here, probably hit F1 by accident" in 0.16, but the first install with a juicy screenshot folder I have saved is from 0.18. Those were the day, man, this is the SSTO MK II.

QRgJMAA.png

Rune. And it looks almost decent now!

Scott's almost Reusable Spaceprogram ... well it was almost 100% reusable until his entire Moon-Base exploded... got me thinking about buying KSP.

Well, I did and I started learning, reproducing and making up my mind.

2000hours in, I went back and rewatched his series and his way of designing his missions got way more inspiring after I figured everything out.

Not that I needed 2000 hours of gametime for this :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.