How did YOU find KSP?

Anister

Im curious how you found out about KSP. (Quick note, search didn't turn up any similar forums. But if im wrong, I do appologise. Feel free to L&D this thread. If its on the wrong forum, sorry again. Feel free to move)

Many many years ago, one of my uncles told me about 'this funny little game about building rockets'. KSP V0.8. I loved it, but played for a few days and then removed it. Fast forward 2 years ago, I noticed KSP got super popular, and before buying it (and I'm sorry about this dear devs), I pirated V 0.14. I was blown away. The next day, I bought it and played ever since. And I lived happily ever after.

The End.

So whats your story?

I first heard of KSP from NerdCubed (god bless that guy), but, surprisingly, wasn't interested. Then I first discovered HOCgaming (love that guy, too!) and realized how unique and different KSP was from other space games. The feature that amazed me most was the docking and orbital spacecraft construction. the first thing I wanted to do in KSP when I first bought it was to build a space station with artificial gravity. Then I realized how hard going to space is...

think i ran across it watching the first 3 or 4 vids by Kurtjmac, bought it.

Same here. It was kind of lucky for me. I had vague memories of some guy walking to Minecraft's Far Lands. I thought, "I wonder if he's still doing that" and did a Google search. Turns out he was, and also just started playing this space game. So I watched 2 or 3 videos, downloaded the demo, landed on Mun (after much work), bought the game, and have been happy ever since.

I was checking on YouTube a year ago, and for no reason, YouTube kept recommending me this guy called jacksepticeye. I watched some of his videos and noticed a playlist called kerbal space program, so I checked it out. For my first month of watching ksp, I was mostly into getting mods like b9, fire spitter, boat parts, and other war mods, and when I first got it, that's how I played it, and I was a total newb who just built cool looking planes that crashed into the ocean. I also thought ksp was about explosions, as many of the you tubers were all about explosions. I stopped playing it for a few months, and finally started watching some of the REAL ksp people, like Scott, HOC, and Danny, and I figured out what this game really was about. This was around June. I than deleted and redownloaded my version of ksp. This is when I truly started ksp, though I was still thinking hyperedit was a legit way to do things back then and could not land on minmus, much less the mun. Of course, I eventually got really good at it, and a Duna expedition AAR might be coming up soon.

I'm not sure but most likely somebody on the Uber Ent forum posted about it. Or was it GPG? Anyway, it was July 2011 and I got KSP for a donation. I think those $10 were the best value per buck I've ever gotten out of a game. KSP is the best "Early Access" game in my book (Minecraft being the #2) and I'm doubtful any other game will ever beat it.

Well, there is Dwarf Fortress but that's a very special case. =3

A few years ago my 'flown the nest' sons played it and said I would like it, and work colleagues talked about it too. I resisted for ages knowing I would get too hooked - and I was right. Started playing at v0.18 and played virtually nothing else since.

I kept hearing about it in the xkcd (a web comic) forums, as well as occasional mentions in the comic itself. There's also a cool thread about KSP in the "other games" section of the Civ Fanatics (Sid Meier's Civilization players) forum. It all looked a lot of fun. Eventually the game appeared in Steam, so I stuck it on my wishlist... and then bought it myself when there was a sale on!

I too heard of it from XKCD which made references to it numerous times. The final straw came with the Little Planet what if. Where a super massive tiny planet would make elongated objects orbits around it a caotic and unstable fashion, which was refered to as "This is KSP on nightmare mode". I investigated and tried the demo which sold me right of the bat.

My son I have been a space nut for some time and involved with rocketry for many years and know people from NASA. A couple reporters a liaison between NASA ans Russia space Program yes believe it or not they do share some info between themselves. So he came in one day and said dad I want to show you something. He sowed me the demo I thought it was going to be ya it one of them programs. Well trying to launch the first rocket its a close to real as you would like it to be yet fun. I have blown up more thing than landed lol but when possible I use sandbox to help with science and carrier mode.

I found KSP while playing orbiter. I decided that Orbiter is confusing and complex. So I found Ksp and downloaded the v 0.13 demo and play it for awhile and I thought it was fun. So i buy ksp 0.16 and play it.

This discussion does seem to pop up around this time of year, I've noticed... Anyway, I found KSP back at the end of October or the start of November of 2011 (the exact date has eluded me now) by watching a video posted by one of the early SomethingAwful LPers, Maxwell Adams. He showcased KSP 0.8.4 and showed how fun it was to blow up rockets in a futile attempt to reach space. It looked interesting, so I went ahead and got 0.11 (which was the most current at the time). It was good timing: the approach of the pay-to-play version was announced not long after I started, shortly after I'd made my first successful Mun landing in the then-new 0.12 version. I backed KSP right away when that happened. It's been a wild 3 years or so since then, but KSP's always been one of my top picks for what to play during that span. I'd say I have more than justified my purchase by now.

Edited by SkyRender

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.