How did YOU find KSP?

Anister

Tis an interesting question.

My answer is that a friend had found the demo and gotten myself and another friend into it. We spent 2-3 days competing to get to the Mun in the demo version. I won that race, partly because I discovered Scott Manley first (who I learned a proper gravity turn and Hohmann transfers from) and because I had a better existing understanding of astrophysics.

Within a week, two of us had bought the full version (0.20.2). Ironically the friend who discovered it did not buy the full game. My other friend has since lost interest a) due to the vertical wall of a learning curve and B) a weak computer.

Obviously I've stuck around and to date have logged 400+ hours. If anyone is interested, the one friend who did not buy it built a rocket he named "Special K". I still have a picture of it which I put below just for the lulz.

Speical_K.png

Im curious how you found out about KSP. (Quick note, search didn't turn up any similar forums. But if im wrong, I do appologise. Feel free to L&D this thread. If its on the wrong forum, sorry again. Feel free to move)

Many many years ago, one of my uncles told me about 'this funny little game about building rockets'. KSP V0.8. I loved it, but played for a few days and then removed it. Fast forward 2 years ago, I noticed KSP got super popular, and before buying it (and I'm sorry about this dear devs), I pirated V 0.14. I was blown away. The next day, I bought it and played ever since. And I lived happily ever after.

The End.

So whats your story?

I was playing EVE Online one day and one of my corp mates told me about this game. Checked it out, played the demo and decided to buy it.

Fark.com. Any spaceflight thread for a while would degenerate into somebody posting their Kerbal asparagus-strut monstrosities. Now, I'd HEARD of it before, but at that time it was merely an early-access demo of sorts, before (I'd assume) the solar system had been added. Those monstrosities made me aware of just how far the game had come (v0.23.5 i think), so I checked out YouTube for gameplay videos. It just so happened that the game was on a Steam sale at the time and within a day I was achieving orbit!

Of course, it helps that I'd been a big Orbiter fan so at least the basics of space flight (ascent, orbit, Hohmann transfers, docking, aerobraking, deorbit etc) were familiar to me. The rocket construction thing though was what drew me in. I love building stuff, and building functional stuff is even more fun!

Went searching on the internet for a space sim that wasn't Top Gun in space or uber realistic as Orbiter (enjoy that sim too, but it doesn't have Bob). Got a hit on KSP. Tried the demo. Fell in love. Bought it immediately - v0.17.1. Played it everyday since.

I first saw KSP at version 0.13.2, and my friend was playing it.

I did not do anything.

Then, I saw another friend playing it at version 0.19, and tried the demo.

I fell in love, and bought it 1 month later.

My friend came over to visit and saw my Wernher von Braun tribute (model rockets, lunar map from Apollo 15, LEM/CSM blueprints etc..). I had just finished taping the S1-B in preparation for applying the black to the fins. She said "You should check out Kerbal Space Program". Me: "Never heard of it.. what is it?"

The S1-B is still waiting for its paint two years (and thousands of KSP hours) later.

Started playing KSP around July 2011 (Version 0.7.3)

Random Google search, in a period of boredom + depression; I stumbled upon a discussion thread for a game called Kerbal Space Program, on the overclockers.co.uk site.

Instantly loaded a few YouTube video's, and though it looked cool.

Quick download + play, and I was hooked too the cute green Kerbals + explosions, as I helplessly tried to take-off.

3+ years later, and I am still in love with the game, explosions, community and the Kerbals...

Thanks Squad, for the great community; And a light, during a dark period in my life. :)

I saw my friend's older brother flying a plane on his and crashing it into the ground and breaking into several dozens of pieces and him screaming NO JEBEDIAH!!! I asked him what it was and I looked it up on YouTube and like many people found Kurtjmac. Then I looked up mods on YouTube because I wondered what the community was like and found EnterElysium's WWK. This is what put the nail in the coffin for me buying the game and I have been playing it for over a year.

I stumbled upon it by accident really.

I was on a forum I regularly visit (computers/games, same site as Seanoog..) and accidently clicked on the KSP kick starter thread.. Took a look... Completely uninterested.

Sometime later I came across it on a steam sale, watched a few videos... Fell in love with it and bought it..

Was watching Mission Control at NASA after the Curiosity landed on Mars. They interviewed Bobak Ferdowsi, MSL Flight Engineer aka The Mohawk Guy. They asked him what games he plays. He said Kerbal Space Program. I had to check that out. Bought the game the next day. Never have played and enjoyed a game so much, and I have been playing since Commodore 64 days.

I was reading the title of the game for all 2013 ... "Kerbal Space Program" is a title that attract my attention.

But was not until sumer of 2013 when a friend told me that I need to try this game. On that moment I made a more exhaustive research and see youtube videos... and download a pirate copy of the game 0.20.1... I started to play it, and the next day I buy a copy of the game 0.20.2...

I was playing since then (with some rest times of 1-2 moths).

Now I usually buy a copy of the game to my best students (interested on physics), because they can learn more about practical physics with this game than in class.

I had played another round of Orbiter Space-Flight Simulator, and having a blast with what it offered (extreme realism, very sandbox, no "game" per-se). I was lamenting an idea how I thought it would be cool if some clever Mod Builder made a Mod for Orbiter that essentially allowed you to build your own rockets from parts, when I started fumbling around Steam to assuage mt boredom and craving for more Science!

I stumbled onto Kerbal Space Program and went "what?! How did I NOT hear about this!!!" I immediately bought it sight, unseen, and never was I more impressed! I got it when it was Sandbox Complete, but that was it - only later did I learn they were planning a Career Mode and to turn this sandbox into a proper Game.

Saw some random video on youtube with someone launching and crashing a rocket. Neither the title or description gave said what the game was called, so I ran to the googles to find out what it was. This must have been somewhere around late october / early november 2011, when the full game still was free and a license to future versions costed something like 7$.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.