[v1.3!] Silisko Industries Doughnut Research & Spacecraft Development

NovaSilisko

Honestly, I like the GG-M4. I've gotten lots of use out of it as an upper-stage engine, and it's also a major feature of my first booster to put Kerbals into orbit, used for that Russian look with the clustered four-nozzle engines.

Tempted just to completely remove the GGM4. I hate the model and the stats are worthless

A quad engine is cool though. I'd make it higher thrust, so it can be a good first stage engine. Usually multi-nozzle engines tend to be in first stages.

Although the model sucks ;D

You could steal the model of your CMM-96 Surplus Booster's engines, that does not look so bad.

Next version will be a doozy.

ss20110807215129.jpg

Upcoming:

Decoupling nosecones

Stackable parachutes(to put escape towers or nosecones onto)

Second 2-meter engine

New GG-M4 model

New GG-M4 stats

Double length 2 meter fuel tank

Balanced large SRB

2 meter decoupler clamps (2 meter wide boosters!)

Decoupler strut no longer transfers fuel

Size adapters now contain a bit of fuel

Medium bertha now overheats less

And hopefully custom sounds

kerbalspaceprogram20110.jpg

ah, most excellent!

Another request - I seem to be making these all the time -

how about making the 2 to 1 meter cone ( and the 1 to 3, and the 3 to 1, etc etc ) actually hold fuel? An empty version would still be great, but that would help a bunch to modelling rockets that not only look a bit like the originals, but also behave like them!.

I am looking forward to the decoupling nosecones very much. There are current workarounds with decouplers and nosecones, but if you are accelerating they just pop up and then your ship flies straight into them again.

Stackable parachutes are very good aswell.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds great Nova. Check out my 2m Satellite booster

I used some modified cfgs for this to see how my numbers for various tanks and engines worked out. Also the top tank in the center stack fed the 6 booster engines first, then the boosters used their own tanks. Then the last tank in the center is used for the center engine after the boosters drop off.

Playing around with it now.

Looks good so far!

ETA-

Built a triple core out of 2m components with a upper stage for descent. Used the new Big Bertha in the center stack, and the dual nozzle engines in the boosters.

The SRBs fired with the outrigger boosters, but were dropped off early. The Outriggers burned out at 43.5km, with full tanks in the center module. 4 strakes on the center and 2 on each booster kept the engines from overheating at full power.

The RCS module was excessive so I replaced it with a bigger third stage tank.

Just want to let you know two things.

First of all this is my new all-time favorite add-on. I'm in love with your pack.

Secondly I've got a very small complaint about your liquid fuel engines. Your liquid engines are using the standard Solid Rocket Booster exhaust and smoke effects. They should instead be using the newer, lighter liquid fuel emissions from the recent patch.

Thanks for reading and thank you even more for the great addon pack!

Thanks!

I built a bigger brother also, using a 3m core and 4 SRBs

The 'RCS' module is actually a cfg modified 'CSM' fuel tank. It has the new big berthas under the outriggers. The outriggers and the 4 SRBs fire as the first stage, and the central engine fires when the SRBs drop off.

I used the new cosmetic detachable nose cone to hide the command capsule and parachute.

Nova, this is going to sound extremely corny, but my favorite thing about your latest update has to be the new parachute.

I'm not sure whether you were going for it or not, but the new 'chute makes the spacecraft resemble an early Mercury/Gemini capsule, and I giggled like a little girl when I saw it.

fig6.jpg

That said, the rest of the parts are magnificent. Great work, Nova.

Question for ya, can you make angled nose caps for the large SRBs that will taper towards the central object like the boosters in the Ariane attached. And have them placed via the symmetry tool so the caps are angled correctly. I know the one set you posted has the angled nose, but the Large SRBs are more powerful.

Also wanted to add my 'DeltaII' design. Kind of a mish-mash of various Delta and Titans actually I call it the -II because of the ring of SRBs.

I can't stop myself

Since taking the first shot, I replaced the upper 3m tank with a 2m stage consisting of 1 double length 2m tank and the new twin bell motor. I set the center engine to burn at the same time as the outriggers, but you can't use 100% throttle or you break parts!

The outriggers and the two 3m tanks all burn out at the same time at 50% power, about 100k up!