A ksp movement... #Bringbackthebarn!

Rolanvorxariat

The barn itself was a strange idea. I liked the industrial look of the whole KSC, however the barn itself isn't very kerbal. It doesn't really fit with the rest of the KSC. At least in size. But with a bit of polish and touching up, I would've been okay with the barn. But I'm not eager to bring back the barn per se, but the aesthetic of the Barn KSC would be perfect.

The barn would make for something nice in a random location on Kerbin, but as a space center, it was poorly presented. It was not shown as a clever way to save funds for a space program that is a minor part of kerbal life, or as repurposed from a planet of farmers. Rather, a "lel, so kerbal" thing full of ramshackle parts that wall break down if not burn down and/or explode as soon as any testing was done. And then there was that similarly ramshackle (and clearly cartoonish) observatory...

Oh a barn would be excellent. A wooden barn and stores of rocket fuel would get on like a house on fire.

They pretty clearly have fuel tanks outside.

The barn would make for something nice in a random location on Kerbin, but as a space center, it was poorly presented. It was not shown as a clever way to save funds for a space program that is a minor part of kerbal life, or as repurposed from a planet of farmers. Rather, a "lel, so kerbal" thing full of ramshackle parts that wall break down if not burn down and/or explode as soon as any testing was done. And then there was that similarly ramshackle (and clearly cartoonish) observatory...

Who's to say it wasn't a farm to begin with? The lack of visible Kerbal cities or infrastructure means it could quite literally be any kind of civilization. Maybe even full of farms. Maybe one of those farms decided to launch rockets instead of growing Kerbal-Korn.

It's a video game, y'know. Not a true-to-life simulator.

Edited by Slam_Jones

My issue with the barn is that it presents a HUGE contrast with the stock parts. The textures, style, and very idea all conflict with the clean, professional, and modern look of the stock parts in a way that makes the complex seem illogical: If these kerbals can build those rocket engines with such precision, then why can't they also build a flippin' office building?

EDIT: My idea for an early tech KSC would be a complex that is very clearly temporary: a set of cranes instead of a VAB, a concrete pad with a fueling structure for a launch pad, scattered quonset huts for buildings, and a radio tower for a tracking station,

Edited by billbobjebkirk
Presenting my ideas.

Who's to say it wasn't a farm to begin with? The lack of visible Kerbal cities or infrastructure means it could quite literally be any kind of civilization. Maybe even full of farms. Maybe one of those farms decided to launch rockets instead of growing Kerbal-Korn.

The problem is that our interactions with the kerbals over the past 3 years have been entirely over their space program (and by extension aerospace industry). If the barn came as part of adding a bunch of farms, then sure. Suddenly they have a context where it's completely reasonable. (And the corn, cane, or whatever could be processed into fuels!)

I like the idea for the T1 space center, but I do think it need a quite major tweak. I don't like it being built out of wood. It doesn't go with the style of the other KSC's, and to be honest I think the wood texture is pretty ugly. Sure, the Kerbals may not be the safest civilization in existence, but they're not sloppy. They have nuclear rocket engines! Plus, look at that T3 space center, is that not one of the most well-built, high-infrastructure facility you've ever seen. I think steel (heck, maybe even tin or some even cheaper metal could work) would make a lot more sense.

My issue with the barn is that it presents a HUGE contrast with the stock parts. The textures, style, and very idea all conflict with the clean, professional, and modern look of the stock parts in a way that makes the complex seem illogical: If these kerbals can build those rocket engines with such precision, then why can't they also build a flippin' office building?

EDIT: My idea for an early tech KSC would be a complex that is very clearly temporary: a set of cranes instead of a VAB, a concrete pad with a fueling structure for a launch pad, scattered quonset huts for buildings, and a radio tower for a tracking station,

Easy solution. Add some ragtag rocket parts for Tier 0. Like the A-4 engine and some other rocket motors of the 40s. That'll be start tech or something. And you get a small as can be part count for Tier 0, no orbital view, etc.

My idea for an early tech KSC would be a complex that is very clearly temporary: a set of cranes instead of a VAB, a concrete pad with a fueling structure for a launch pad, scattered quonset huts for buildings, and a radio tower for a tracking station,
Easy solution. Add some ragtag rocket parts for Tier 0. Like the A-4 engine and some other rocket motors of the 40s. That'll be start tech or something. And you get a small as can be part count for Tier 0, no orbital view, etc.

There's a sounding rocket mod that would fit in well with the style. That, plus basic plane parts would give an appropriate start to the barn-centric space center. Reorder the tech-tree and have a low-tech, appearance-is-not-a-priority, get-it-done sort of place to start pushing out the boundaries of Kerbal Flight.