[1.0.4]Better Buoyancy v1.4 - obsolete as of 1.0.5; 7/29/15

ferram4

This mod is obsolete as of KSP 1.0.5. Do not attempt to install it on KSP 1.0.5 or higher. The links remain below for users still on 1.0.4 and earlier.

Hbikxn0.png

Better Buoyancy is a mod that tries to make a few simple changes to make water behave somewhat better in KSP. This was originally intended to fix a well-known bug in Real Solar System, where planets with very large radii (read: Earth-sized) would end up having very... "bouncy" water as a result of the precision used at the water surface. However, it also allows removal of the insta-water-death effects, so it is a stand-alone mod for stock KSP users.

Features:

• Buoyancy calculations are now done at double precision rather than stock's single precision, resulting in much smoother behavior at the surface.
  • Ocean density can be configured per-body; they are currently set slightly higher than reality-based values due to the rather high density of command pods and such in stock KSP.
  • Moderate speed (~15 m/s - 20 m/s) impacts are only unsurvivable if the velocity is vertical. Otherwise, much higher ditching speeds are possible. That capsized plane above was ditched at 60 m/s. It's very much like landing on land now, except that the water will either grab you and flip you over or cause you to skitter across the surface before capsizing and losing parts. Land is still safer.

Powered by ModuleManager.

Licensed MIT.

Source: https://github.com/ferram4/BetterBuoyancy

Note: Plays best with FAR v0.14.6 or higher, but FAR is not a dependency.

Edited by ferram4

ok tried this and new FAR and after sometime (float on the jet boat and leave it in the ocean, and then turns to making hydroplanes) FAR stop working, water turned into jello and kerbals start to sink to the bottom of ocean, that was hilarious but kinda pointless as i remembered that i turned logs off long time ago, i try to replicate it some time later tomorrow with logs on.

PS thanks for the awesome new addition to the mod list, jet boats really funny to drive.

I had to log in to say you are an absolute Godsend in this game, I mean just wow.

I can't count the number of times I've had heavy return vehicles overshoot land and lose half their payload because, hey, hitting water is a death sentence.

This is a great idea! Happy to see water physics getting some love.

However, when I tested it, and I'm not getting any splash VFX/SFX when my vessel lands in water. Also, my Kerbals no longer seem to be able to swim to the surface of the water.

@Volodyuka: This is why you never turn off logging; bug reports without logs are simply unhelpful, and I don't even know what's going on on your end.

@Zeenobit: Well, then I don't know what's wrong on your install; I've actually found the number of splashes to be frequent enough that it slows by PC down a bit. Kerbals do float, but not quite as much as they did previously, simply because they've got accurate volume measurements now, and they're really damn heavy.

Hi ferram4!

Excellent mod! Love water landings :D

I have the newest FAR and this mod installed and Jeb keeps sinking (he keeps his depth but if anything pushes him down he stays down) in the water, I can't swim up at all.

I have the newest FAR and this mod installed and Jeb keeps sinking (he keeps his depth but if anything pushes him down he stays down) in the water, I can't swim up at all.

That's similar to what I was seeing too. Except mine didn't even splash.

Hooray for this. I'm glad the water is now being looked at. Especially by Ferram!

--Though I'm wondering if a name/acronym like THERE could work...? (Tweaked Hydro Effects Redone, Extended)

Now we'll start seeing floating bases! ;)

Edited by Beetlecat

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.