[1.0.4]Better Buoyancy v1.4 - obsolete as of 1.0.5; 7/29/15

ferram4

Is this a glitch? When i parachute (by the use of VNG plugin) my Kerbal to the water, he dives, like diving in the air with parachute, but instead, he dives in the water, by the use of parachute?

Read previous posts man...

You already had been answered. (#117, #118)

• 3 weeks later...

I was watching Scott Manley's video on making submarines, and it got me remembering the Boat Parts mod. It added in a proper rendering of underwater, so it appeared blue and murky instead of black and all wrong. Adding that to this mod would be a perfect idea!

Oh shame this isn't officially supported in 1.0 this seems like an awesome mod, is Ferram a wizard like he makes the most useful mods ever. Still gonna try it in 1.0 because it just seems that damn handy, if there is any mod that Squad should pick up its this one, as well as NEAR but this one is close, I doubt they would want FAR because of the difficulty FAR adds but NEAR would be perfect.

Although given squads track record with aerodynamics they would probably break it, and yes I include there new aerodynamic model.

And I totally get that Ferram is busy with FAR and I would proffer FAR be finished quicker than having this.

Yeh I don't think a mark 1-2 command pod is supposed to sink at approaching 100m/s yeh not 1.0 compatible.

Edited by etheoma

Oh shame this isn't officially supported in 1.0 this seems like an awesome mod, is Ferram a wizard like he makes the most useful mods ever. Still gonna try it in 1.0 because it just seems that damn handy, if there is any mod that Squad should pick up its this one, as well as NEAR but this one is close, I doubt they would want FAR because of the difficulty FAR adds but NEAR would be perfect.

Although given squads track record with aerodynamics they would probably break it, and yes I include there new aerodynamic model.

And I totally get that Ferram is busy with FAR and I would proffer FAR be finished quicker than having this.

It wont work in 1.0.X.

Yeh already tried if you read this edit XD hope he get around to this after nuFAR, because it would be nice to have water that doesn't act like a brick wall... Well worse than a brick wall because you less likely to die if you land ontop of the VAB etc.

I'm not asking for perfect I'm asking for reasonable here which the stock Buoyancy is not.

Edited by etheoma

Yeh already tried if you read this edit XD hope he get around to this after nuFAR, because it would be nice to have water that doesn't act like a brick wall... Well worse than a brick wall because you less likely to die if you land ontop of the VAB etc.

I'm not asking for perfect I'm asking for reasonable here which the stock Buoyancy is not.

We all are. Ferram's mods are essential features AFAIC.

Is there any way to add more splash effects to this? To test this mod, I tried to land a giant plane onto the water at 100 m/s. It survived beautifully as my touchdown angle was very shallow and smooth, but it made zero splash effects. It's like my craft just sort of landed on jello and pretty quickly came to a stop.

Same with capsules "splashing" down. Coming down vertically at 8 m/s with a capsule, and no splash effect at all.

The only time I could get any splash was diving nose first with plane at 200 m/s and destroying everything.

Edited by Zeenobit

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello!

Did anybody see an issue with an object in the water that will just rotate forever like in vacuum?

A part hit the water and started spinning and kept spinning like if there was no water at all.

Also it kept floating perfectly stable at the same depth and did not care about its attitude even if large areas of part went in and out of the water during rotation.

Just asking if anybody knows about this.

Thank you.

I'm having some wierd problems with things that do float vs those that don't and it's just coming accross as totally wrong.

How come these sink like a rock.....

screenshot0_zps2kloknkl.png

(You'd think the surface area of the shield would help it float, I did use tweakscale though on the shield)

screenshot1_zpstfzzfimb.png

....and this floats just fine?

screenshot2_zpsmxawvb5x.pngscreenshot3_zpsie4cbp57.png

@smjjames: I can't quite tell what the first images are -- are those deployable floats? (USI?)

The *actual* water as a substance/surface is still really, really off in this game. This mod makes it markedly less like a lethal brick wall, but it's still a long ways from being a fun place to land. :D

Should have posted a better picture, sorry. It's actually the stock heatshield and the yellow chute is the stock chute.

I swear that things didn't sink like a rock as much in 0.90 BB though.

Edit: I've noticed that without BB, stock water is really bouncy for some reason.

Better image of that stage, the first two images in my previous post are the same craft, one with and one without the heatshield.

screenshot4_zpsy0uzgk0v.png

smjjames: surface area is irrelevant for floating. It is volume that matters. More specifically, for something to float, it must displace fluid equaling the mass of the object. Or in other words, the overall density of the object must be lower than the density of the fluid.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.