[1.0.4]Better Buoyancy v1.4 - obsolete as of 1.0.5; 7/29/15

ferram4

To be fair, that is just about what it is like in real life. The Hudson landing was nothing short of a miracle.

Yes and no the most common cause of death after ditching would be hypothermia simply because of how hard it usually is to find lost crew and passengers. There were plenty of cases where WW2 pilots would ditch their aircraft in the water near aircraft carriers and survived the impact to be lost at sea.

_Augustus_: Fine, let me walk you through the code then:

BB stores water densities in a Dictionary that associates an integer (the FlightGlobalsIndex) with a double (the water density). The first time a density calculation is called, it loads data from a config to get densities associated with each FlightGlobalsIndex. Once that's done, it goes through all of the bodies that exist to make sure it got them all, adding them to the Dictionary. There can be no repeats here, because the dictionary cannot handle repeat indices.

After that, the BB module uses that in flight to find the appropriate density for each body. There are only three possibilities here:

1) You've got multiple bodies using the same FlightGlobals index, which breaks the Dictionary.

2) You've got bodies that have different FlightGlobalsIndices than the _actual_ index they use, in which case, your Kopernicus code is doing something damn funky and needs to be fixed; I'm sure you'll get on that right now, you are, after all, the main coder for that, right?

3) The bodies don't exist early in flight, in which case, Kopernicus is heavily broken and they should exist as soon as the Space Center Scene loads.

Nothing I can do, problem is on your end.

I am not the coder for Kopernicus, I just created a community thingy for it. Please stop with your anger. All I do know is that I crashed after leaving water on Blalo and landing, and your mod was showing NoReferenceExceptions at around the same time. It may have just been my kod-awful computer, I don't know.

I dunno Augustus, you've been pretty quick to try and take over every mod that you can touch, so I think you're up tot he task of fixing those issues, right? Surely you wouldn't be bundling mods or trying to take them over if you weren't able to do anything about it, right? I mean, that would be rather confusing and kind of a scummy thing to do to the original authors, make them have to deal with whatever you mess up.

Anyway, yes, the issue is on your side; your pack, your mod, whatever. BB works fine so long as planets conform to the stock expectation that flightGlobalsIndex matches the index that the body is in in the FlightGlobals.Bodies list. If they don't, that's not on me.

Well, I hadn't used BB until now but my first 'planned' ditch (note to self, figure out efficient altitude before mission, fuel is important). Splash down speed was just over 100m/s. As for the sanity check, if you are looking for one it might be G-force related. The reason my Kerbals survived is because I bleed off as much speed as I could, pulled the nose up and let the rest of the craft eat the momentum. As for 'parts spinning', some of the pieces go berserk when they hit, but everything comes to rest nicely. The command pod kept going wild for a while because I forgot the yaw dampener was still active. Time to test part two of BB, building a plane that can go and pick up the survivors!

Better Buoyancy is a mod that tries to make a few simple changes to make water behave somewhat better in KSP. This was originally intended to fix a well-known bug in Real Solar System, where planets with very large radii (read: Earth-sized) would end up having very... "bouncy" water as a result of the precision used at the water surface. However, it also allows removal of the insta-water-death effects, so it is a stand-alone mod for stock KSP users.

Features:

• Buoyancy calculations are now done at double precision rather than stock's single precision, resulting in much smoother behavior at the surface.
  • Ocean density can be configured per-body; they are currently set slightly higher than reality-based values due to the rather high density of command pods and such in stock KSP.
  • Moderate speed (~15 m/s - 20 m/s) impacts are only unsurvivable if the velocity is vertical. Otherwise, much higher ditching speeds are possible. That capsized plane above was ditched at 60 m/s. It's very much like landing on land now, except that the water will either grab you and flip you over or cause you to skitter across the surface before capsizing and losing parts. Land is still safer.

Powered by ModuleManager.

Licensed MIT.

Source: https://github.com/ferram4/BetterBuoyancy

Note: Plays best with FAR v0.14.6 or higher, but FAR is not a dependency.

Incredible! This should help with my bad habit of landing the CSS into the water all the time (can't seem to get the thing to the runway! :()

@nigelxw: Obviously, they're very draggy and dense enough to be pushed far into the water.

@smjjames: Conditions are that the part is in the water and is moving at least 10 m/s. Your craft's current accelerations have nothing to do with it, so quoting those doesn't give me anything to go on; I need m/s, not m/s2.

Another one suffering from sinking Jeb here.

Sequence of events:

notice sinking

uninstall BB

restart KSP

Jeb goes EVA - swims on surface happily

reinstall BB

go back to Jeb - still swimming on surface, everything's fine

board capsule

go EVA

sink

Log extract is below, not sure how useful it is:

[00:10:40]: Jebediah Kerman from Untitled Space Craft went on EVA.

(Filename: /BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/LinuxStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

Tac.LifeSupportModule[FFFA3574][93.62]: OnStart: Flying

(Filename: /BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/LinuxStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

Tac.LifeSupportController[FFFA54CA][93.66]: New vessel: Jebediah Kerman (cab9a133-1e0f-4172-9750-9378f23442d8)

[FLIGHT GLOBALS]: Switching To Vessel Jebediah Kerman ----------------------

stage manager resuming...

[IR GUI] vessel kerbalEVA (Jebediah Kerman)

[IR GUI] 0 groups

*DRE* No FAR module found for part kerbalEVA (Jebediah Kerman)

@S4qFBxkFFg: That is why you should post the entire log, not a snippet. Snippets ultimately just hide useful information.

Complete log below - it's not the same session of KSP, but the same sinking behaviour was shown before I recovered Jeb.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B513MM_oKJuSWmJhc2JaYUlNRjQ/view?usp=sharing

Hey, I love this mod so much and it has allowed me to do some pretty awesome stuff. One thing I've been doing is recovering the stages that drop off my craft using boats, however when I went to pick up the kerbals they jumped into the water and sunk straight to the bottom in a ragdoll fashion. Would you know why this happens and if it is a bug?

Keep up the good work! :cool:

Another one suffering from sinking Jeb here.

Sequence of events:

notice sinking

uninstall BB

restart KSP

Jeb goes EVA - swims on surface happily

reinstall BB

go back to Jeb - still swimming on surface, everything's fine

board capsule

go EVA

sink

This is basically it

Edited by RatchetinSpace

@smjjames: Conditions are that the part is in the water and is moving at least 10 m/s. Your craft's current accelerations have nothing to do with it, so quoting those doesn't give me anything to go on; I need m/s, not m/s2.

I was wondering about the splashdown rather than actively moving accross the surface of the water.

I'm not sure if this is working, I installed it and then tested in sandbox, I made a rocket with a skipper engine, the smallest mk3 tank, command pod mk2 (white one), and the blue chute. When I landed in the water the tank and engine vanished and the pod only had the parachute above water, it hit at 10 m/s with little (no noticeable) horizontal movement. Only have karbonite and final frontiers. There isn't any splash animation or sound.

Edited by locustgate

I'm not sure if this is working, I installed it and then tested in sandbox, I made a rocket with a skipper engine, the smallest mk3 tank, command pod mk2 (white one), and the blue chute. When I landed in the water the tank and engine vanished and the pod only had the parachute above water, it hit at 10 m/s with little (no noticeable) horizontal movement. Only have karbonite and final frontiers. There isn't any splash animation or sound.

Also kerbals can't swim and sink like a rock. Tried it again and hit the water at 1m/s.

Also kerbals can't swim and sink like a rock. Tried it again and hit the water at 1m/s.

Oh! That wasn't just me, then. I had splashed a plane down just past the runway, and noticed that the pilot would sink like a stone upon hitting the water after climbing out of the craft and jumping in. Once he hit bottom, I could start swimming upward (slowly), but once he reached the surface it knocked him straight down again.

@locustgate: Can't reproduce lack of splash, can reproduce sinking Kerbals, but only if they ragdoll. Dev build on github has a fix until I package it up to release.

The kerbal is underwater and can't reach the ladder, the only audible splash is the kerbal and the tank and engine disappear, pictures below.

http://imgur.com/Fsx6jyG,Zscz7Ym,ick65KG,Y4EVO2v,UvFpqgh,1DbVyOk,biwxL5m,BpzFjv2

Hmm I'm not sure my install is working. My ships mostly still break apart when they hit the water at under 8m/s and the water still bobs a lot. But on the other hand, my kerbals sink like a rock. This is with no other mods installed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.