[1.0.4]Better Buoyancy v1.4 - obsolete as of 1.0.5; 7/29/15

ferram4

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Ferram, do you know if graphics settings affect the splash animation? Because I just had one crash into the water at over 70 m/s and no splash.

There was another weird thing, the orbital resource sensor from Karbonite kept bouncing in the water like it had phantom forces going on or the water was bouncy, but I think it may be something with the part itself as it's an effectively weightless part ( 0.005 kilos or something) rather than BB, plus it was on top of the crashing craft.

victor tan: If that does not float, then you need to go back and study boat design. The basic principle is that for something to float, it must displace more fluid (by mass) than the mass of the vessel. This means that the vessel must have an overall density of less than 1t/m3 (for water on Earth: I believe ferram4 made Kerbin's water a little more dense, but that makes it easier).

A full Jumbo-64 will just barely float (total volume is 36.8m3, mass is 36t, so the density is 0.98t/m3. An empty one will right fairly high (4t, giving a density of 0.11t/m3).

victor tan: If that does not float, then you need to go back and study boat design. The basic principle is that for something to float, it must displace more fluid (by mass) than the mass of the vessel. This means that the vessel must have an overall density of less than 1t/m3 (for water on Earth: I believe ferram4 made Kerbin's water a little more dense, but that makes it easier).

A full Jumbo-64 will just barely float (total volume is 36.8m3, mass is 36t, so the density is 0.98t/m3. An empty one will right fairly high (4t, giving a density of 0.11t/m3).

So theres no other way to make it float?

victor tan: think of BB as something between FAR and NEAR for water. This means if something float but you want it to sink, you need to increase its density (fill ballast tanks). If it sinks when you want it to float, reduce its density (add flotation tanks). Submarines combine the two.

victor tan: think of BB as something between FAR and NEAR for water. This means if something float but you want it to sink, you need to increase its density (fill ballast tanks). If it sinks when you want it to float, reduce its density (add flotation tanks). Submarines combine the two.

Thank you for that reply, I'll use the config to lower the density

• 2 weeks later...
He's not sinking; he's floating right below the surface, there's a big difference.

Anyway, not much I can do; Kerbals are just too dense. Ocean is already twice as dense as water, and the size of the Kerbals is set as the volume of human beings (which is a fair bit larger than Kerbals are). Not much I can do when I've already weighted it so much in their favor.

It's not be possible to artificially boost a kerbal's buoyancy?

You can use KerbalMass to tweak the mass of a Kerbal, but it does not work if the new KerbalInventorySystem is installed.

I mean apart from changes to mass or volume. Having the game determine the buoyancy slightly different from everything else, or boosting the buoyancy it does determine somehow.

I can't land in the water with this mod. As soon as my capsule touches the water it starts spinning violently and plummiting deep down. If I dont EVA immediately the kerbal dies from G-Forces. Occasionally that doesn't happen but the landed craft starts to float in a random direction at about 5m/sec making the craft unrecoverable without EVA so the kerbal hops out then I recover him and then go to map screen and recover the remaining parts from the map. It's quite annoying. It's always one of those two options and usually the violent spinning.

I can't land in the water with this mod. As soon as my capsule touches the water it starts spinning violently and plummiting deep down. If I dont EVA immediately the kerbal dies from G-Forces. Occasionally that doesn't happen but the landed craft starts to float in a random direction at about 5m/sec making the craft unrecoverable without EVA so the kerbal hops out then I recover him and then go to map screen and recover the remaining parts from the map. It's quite annoying. It's always one of those two options and usually the violent spinning.

Same problem here, although I'm not sure if it is do to this mod, I heard RSS has "bouncy water", I didn't mean to install RSS but CKAN auto installed it for me when TAC Life Support was added. After uninstalling this mod the problem still persists, if you have found any fix please post it otherwise I need to reinstall.

I've landed a cockpit & single piece of fuselage from an aircraft breakup at 45km alt/~2000m/s - well "landed" is a bit of a strong term, "survivably crashed" perhaps - in BB water with RSS-the-plugin installed, so it probably isn't that specific combo. The first post mentions resized planets.

I don't know much about stock bouyancy because I've used firespitter floats for watercraft since they appeared - before trying this one with 0.90 - and as far as I can tell BB just tweaks stock, is there any point to designing hull forms? I'm not sure I want to contemplate what oddness is in the water after knowing what oddness was in the atmosphere...

This mod seems to make Kerbals really, really bad at floating. If they fall in the water, they sink pretty deep before surfacing very slowly. Its also impossible to climb back onto a single Mk1 pod thats splashed down in the ocean.

This mod seems to make Kerbals really, really bad at floating. If they fall in the water, they sink pretty deep before surfacing very slowly.

To meet minimum post requirements:

He's not sinking; he's floating right below the surface, there's a big difference.

Anyway, not much I can do; Kerbals are just too dense. Ocean is already twice as dense as water, and the size of the Kerbals is set as the volume of human beings (which is a fair bit larger than Kerbals are). Not much I can do when I've already weighted it so much in their favor.

This mod seems to make Kerbals really, really bad at floating. If they fall in the water, they sink pretty deep before surfacing very slowly. Its also impossible to climb back onto a single Mk1 pod thats splashed down in the ocean.

You can use this mod to change kerbal mass to like 0.04 so they float.

Crossposting from Regolith since Better Buoyancy was spamming an error at the same time, despite being on Minmus.

When I (intentionally) crashed a ship into Minmus, which produced a debris cloud made of small parts and some wheel+truss bits, it started spamming an error about animation state the instant that I slammed into a slope and switched to the (now free-floating) mechjeb AR case. The thing is that at the same time, it lagged the game really badly. Although there was another exception error (with unknown source) that happened at the same time and Better Buoyancy was spamming an error as well, for some reason.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at BetterBuoyancy.BBModule.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

output log: http://sta.sh/0dywsw6sg5p

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.