[1.0.4]Better Buoyancy v1.4 - obsolete as of 1.0.5; 7/29/15

ferram4

smjjames: surface area is irrelevant for floating. It is volume that matters. More specifically, for something to float, it must displace fluid equaling the mass of the object. Or in other words, the overall density of the object must be lower than the density of the fluid.

Oh right, I meant displacement not surface area. Though I was probably thinking of displacement with surface area.

Still though, wouldn't the one with the shield on it float??? Seems like it would. Not sure about displacement.

Oh right, I meant displacement not surface area. Though I was probably thinking of displacement with surface area.

Still though, wouldn't the one with the shield on it float??? Seems like it would. Not sure about displacement.

No. The shield is very heavy, and much denser than water.

Something will float when it displaces its own mass in water, or more. Since the shield is very dense, the mass of the water displaced by it is much less than the mass of the shield.

Hey Ferram, I managed to push the BB sim until it broke, well, I wasn't actually trying to when it happened. I also found what looks like a memory leak. Edit3: Actually, I just realized that it may have been Unity that I was making cry, not BB.

Required mods: http://sta.sh/01a98b2xmrsk (There aren't many and most of them are dependencies of FTT)

Persistent save and craft file: http://sta.sh/020u7casrvrn

Output log: http://sta.sh/0i0kcnztvwg

To reproduce:

1.The craft is already in place, so just go to the ship that's in the save.

2. Throttle up to max

3. Shortly after it starts roostertailing like in the image below (it'll take a couple secs to get up to speed first) is when the issue starts. It'll also start graphics lagging like all hell.

Edit: The screenshot is from when I was using it on my main save. The provided save is from a stripped down save.

Edit2: Also, I know it's BB because it wasn't happening without BB, but happens with it.

Edit4: Also, those pontoons have KF repulsors under them.

screenshot49_zpslqlpfcuc.png

Edited by smjjames

Fengist: calculate the displacement volume of your parts, work out suitable masses that make the mass of the parts less than the mass of fluid they displace. This means for a 1m3 part, you need a mass less than 1t for Earth (ie, reality) or 1.5t for Kerbin (because KSP's parts, including kerbals, are overly massive).

Crossposting from Regolith since Better Buoyancy was spamming an error at the same time, despite being on Minmus.

When I (intentionally) crashed a ship into Minmus, which produced a debris cloud made of small parts and some wheel+truss bits, it started spamming an error about animation state the instant that I slammed into a slope and switched to the (now free-floating) mechjeb AR case. The thing is that at the same time, it lagged the game really badly. Although there was another exception error (with unknown source) that happened at the same time and Better Buoyancy was spamming an error as well, for some reason.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at BetterBuoyancy.BBModule.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

output log: http://sta.sh/0dywsw6sg5p

I just had the same issue depicted above but on Kerbin shortly after taking off. The rocket broke apart and for a few seconds everything was fine. The command module was safely dropping to the water with parachute but suddenly I had 1-2FPS and error spamming.

I repeated my actions but I was unable to recreate the issue.

Edit: Yes running, latest version

Fengist: calculate the displacement volume of your parts, work out suitable masses that make the mass of the parts less than the mass of fluid they displace. This means for a 1m3 part, you need a mass less than 1t for Earth (ie, reality) or 1.5t for Kerbin (because KSP's parts, including kerbals, are overly massive).

Nope. That ship you see sinking grosses less that 2 tons and is over 40 meters in length. I can't exactly make them weightless.

@Fengist: You can try the dev version on github and see if that fixes it, but if it doesn't, there's not much I can do.

@DauntingFlyer: Need reproduction steps, I cannot cause the issue at all.

@DauntingFlyer: Need reproduction steps, I cannot cause the issue at all.

I'm trying to find a pattern. I successfully made the error happen 2 more times but in completely different occasions and no obvious relations emerged. Apparently this issue is actually a mix of errors between FAR, Deadly reentry and Better Buoyancy and they spam like this:

at FerramAerospaceResearch.FARPartGeometry.GeometryPartModule.RebuildAllMeshData () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at FerramAerospaceResearch.FARPartGeometry.GeometryPartModule.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at DeadlyReentry.ModuleAeroReentry.get_FI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at DeadlyReentry.ModuleAeroReentry.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

My output log is has so much spam it takes 91KB space

I'll first try finding the real culprit mod. Since these errors appear to pop without any consistency it might take a while.

The answer is, if the dev build, which just got updated, doesn't fix it, then there's not much I can do, because then that points to something being wrong with the colliders. No amount of code can fix broken parts, and if that's the problem, then you're outta luck and you need to go to the dev to fix it.

But in either case, you can start by seeing if the dev version fixes it. Then if there are problems we can continue, but until then, there are code changes that will affect this behavior; I'm not changing them more until I know where things stand now lest I cause all sorts of hell to break loose.

The answer is, if the dev build, which just got updated, doesn't fix it, then there's not much I can do, because then that points to something being wrong with the colliders. No amount of code can fix broken parts, and if that's the problem, then you're outta luck and you need to go to the dev to fix it.

But in either case, you can start by seeing if the dev version fixes it. Then if there are problems we can continue, but until then, there are code changes that will affect this behavior; I'm not changing them more until I know where things stand now lest I cause all sorts of hell to break loose.

He IS the dev of the Maritime Pack. :P

I'm trying to find a pattern. I successfully made the error happen 2 more times but in completely different occasions and no obvious relations emerged. Apparently this issue is actually a mix of errors between FAR, Deadly reentry and Better Buoyancy and they spam like this:

at FerramAerospaceResearch.FARPartGeometry.GeometryPartModule.RebuildAllMeshData () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at FerramAerospaceResearch.FARPartGeometry.GeometryPartModule.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at DeadlyReentry.ModuleAeroReentry.get_FI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at DeadlyReentry.ModuleAeroReentry.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

My output log is has so much spam it takes 91KB space

I'll first try finding the real culprit mod. Since these errors appear to pop without any consistency it might take a while.

Well apparently I fixed the issue. It doesn't have anything to do with this mod. I replaced the ModularFlightIntegrator.dll that came with FAR and used the one that came with Deadlyreentry instead and the errors disappeared. Why? I have no idea. Probably one file was less updated than the other?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I play on real solar system and whenever i land in water it keeps moving and prevents me from pressing Recover Vessel

I use version 1.3

thanks

▼☺

You can go 100% realism at this point and send a craft out to recover the craft. I remember several versions ago I had a VTOL to do JUST that in RO.

You can go 100% realism at this point and send a craft out to recover the craft. I remember several versions ago I had a VTOL to do JUST that in RO.

It also prevents him from going back to spaceport at the same time though.

@TUKE: I could, but then you've got things crashing into the water without making a splash at all. Not gonna happen.

@nablabla: Just landed a pod in RSS, was able to recover it no problem. BB was created solely to deal with the issue you're talking about; are you sure you installed it correctly?

Can you make it turn off water thrust particle effects? Reason being my cargo ship looks mighty stupid with this great big particle effect around.

There is a bug in the surface effects toggle. The only way to disable it is to go to settings.cfg, find and set SURFACE_FX = False

@TUKE: I could, but then you've got things crashing into the water without making a splash at all. Not gonna happen.

@nablabla: Just landed a pod in RSS, was able to recover it no problem. BB was created solely to deal with the issue you're talking about; are you sure you installed it correctly?

I used CKAN, the effect is not always, did I mention that it happens in real solar system? And I only tried the mercury lander can

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.