How to tell you're no longer a noob at KSP

Fengist

I had. Multiple times.

I guess the best way to determine that your not a complete noob anymore is when you are able to lift something to orbit with less or equal than 3 tries, put it on an interplanetary transfer and let it land somewhere at your target.

This means you have at least basic understanding of rocket building and (inter)planetary navigation (= knowledge of orbital mechanics) because that's what KSP is about.

I had. Multiple times.

I guess the best way to determine that your not a complete noob anymore is when you are able to lift something to orbit with less or equal than 3 tries, put it on an interplanetary transfer and let it land somewhere at your target.

This means you have at least basic understanding of rocket building and (inter)planetary navigation (= knowledge of orbital mechanics) because that's what KSP is about.

Expanding on this, being able to use the most basic parts (small SRB's or liquid fuel tanks) to get into orbit and back.

Everyone knows that Rockomax X200-8 fuel tanks are the best insulator in existence!

I saw myself as a beginning expert when I did docking multiple times without failure. Docking uses all the skills you've built up prior (efficient rocket design, proper flying technique, getting into orbit, using and making maneuver nodes, understanding how burning in different directions changes your prograde/retrograde, etc.), and though it may be second nature now there's no doubt it's one of the most complicated processes in KSP. Nowadays I'm not just docking in LKO, I'm also doing it around the Mun, and occasionally Minmus. That's MLGPRO 360 noscope headshot skill!

Everyone knows that Rockomax X200-8 fuel tanks are the best insulator in existence!

I saw myself as a beginning expert when I did docking multiple times without failure. Docking uses all the skills you've built up prior (efficient rocket design, proper flying technique, getting into orbit, using and making maneuver nodes, understanding how burning in different directions changes your prograde/retrograde, etc.), and though it may be second nature now there's no doubt it's one of the most complicated processes in KSP. Nowadays I'm not just docking in LKO, I'm also doing it around the Mun, and occasionally Minmus. That's MLGPRO 360 noscope headshot skill!

^^^ This too...

I remember Jeb taking an hour to dock when you were within 1 km of the target. Moving forward... backing off... moving forward... aligning... backing off... GAAAA!! DOCK ALREADY!!!... Now, I can almost do it by navball alone.

By "Jeb" you mean "Mechjeb", right? If so, yeah, I remember when it was pants at docking. :P Made me inspired to learn manual docking myself, cause I could do it better. And this was maybe in 0.23.5 or so, not so far back.

I stopped considering myself a noob the last time I had to do an orbital insertion to dock.

I build space stations and also my first Mun/Minmus missions are two spacecraft docked together. I have been getting to the point where even at different altitudes I can eyeball when to launch to get less then 10 KM from the target at apoapsis, so instead of orbital insertion I go right to docking. A few days ago I was 27ish KM's off so I had to do an orbital insertion first. I realized that I couldn't remember the last time I had to do that.

I know Scott Manley is the Chuck Norris of KSP and I am not the awesomest KSP player here by a long shot but I think when you can first try build a single purpose rocket, launch it, dock it, and skip orbital insertion, you are at least not a noob anymore.

There is a checklist of things that I use to define a skilled player.

1. Launch at least 25 tons to orbit on a single launch vehicle (proof of competent rocket design)
  2. Land on the Mun (or any airless body with non-negligable gravity) and return
  3. Rendezvous and dock with another craft in orbit
  4. Plot and execute an interplanetary transfer
  5. Land on and return from an atmospheric planet other than kerbin
  6. Build and fly a Single-Stage-To-Orbit spacecraft

Of these six items, I think once you have completed at least four, you can be considered a seasoned player.

Any decent apollo style Duna mission, unless done super minimalistically, will knock out the launch, transfer, atmo landing, and docking, and thus clears noob status in one mission (if a brand new player can actually do that, then huge respect to them).

When you can reliably build a vehicle to put a certain payload in orbit, and fly it into to orbit. That's the basic gameplay aspect on both the building and flying side of things, and the first part of most missions.

There's a lot more to being an experienced player, but that's where I'd put the step from total beginner to intermediate player.

Sometimes I look at how KSPTV streamers (other than Maxmaps, of course) are failing at orbital mechanics. I've also landed on the Mun, Minmus, Duna, played at 6.4x, RSS, and Jumbo32, and I've Done a nearly full grand tour of the Joolean system, though did not return. Among other things of course, these are just some of my high points.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.