[1.1.2] Kerbal Konstructs v0.9.7.1 - Slopey Glidey

AlphaAsh

kerbalkonstructsbanner.jpg

Kerbal Konstructs provides editing tools for adding static objects into KSP, including new launch sites. It also presents a means to select an alternative site to launch from in the VAB and SPH, integration of new launch sites into a strategy feature in Career Mode, 'working' facilities such as fuel tanks and support for air-racing.

DOWNLOAD from Alpha Strike Games | DOWNLOAD from SpaceDock

Like the mod and want to contribute to the author's caffeine addiction?

btn_donate_LG.gif

patreon.png

kkinstallbanner.jpg

Kerbal Konstructs should be installed to your GameData folder retaining the exact file hierarchy as it is in the zip. Do not arbitarily re-structure the file hierarchy. Do not change the folders around.

If you don't know how to manage files on your computer, you should learn. It's far less difficult to learn than rocket science.

kkpacks.jpg

Kerbal Konstructs doesn't really do much if you don't have some actual static content. Try this stuff.

kkpackkerbinside.jpg

topsecretbanner.png

badtbanner.jpg

littlethingsbanner.jpg

oneillbanner.png

kscfloodlight.png

bealebanner.png

therealksc.png

fastcorp.png

kkpackcitiesofkerbin.jpg

kkpackkscplusplus.jpg

kkpackkosmodrome.jpg

kkfeatures.jpg

kklaunchsiteheader.jpg

kkselector.jpg

Open and close the selector with the KK icon in the appbar of the VAB and SPH. kklaunchicon.jpg

kkbreak.jpg

kkeditingheader.jpg

See the next post for a guide to using Kerbal Konstruct's in-game editor tools.

kktools.jpg

kkbreak.jpg

kkinflightheader.jpg

kkbbtracking.jpg

1. Base Boss in the Tracking Station and Map View displays information about a selected base (click on the base's icon).
  2. In career mode, you can open and close bases in the Base Boss in the tracking station or map view.
  3. Base Boss in the flight scene includes a simple 'Nav Guidance System (NGS)'.
  4. This indicates the selected target base, distance to the target base and whether you are closing towards or heading away from the target base.
  5. When closing the central indicator turns green and the turn markers go out. When heading away, the central indicator turns red and the turn markers come on.
  6. You can set the target base for the NGS in the flight scene Base Boss (click the NGS button)...
  7. ...or alternatively in the map view (the one available in the flight scene by pressing M) by clicking on a base's icon.
kkbreak.jpg

kkfueltanksheader.jpg

kkfueltankshowto.jpg

1. In the flight scene, when landed at a base, open the KK Base Boss app by clicking the button in the toolbar.
  2. Assuming the base is open, any facilities at the base are listed here. Click the facility you want to use, in this case the Rocket Fuel Tanks.
  3. The Facility Manager opens. Note that in this example the currently active vessel is in range of the fuel tanks in order to transfer fuel to and from them. If the vessel isn't in range, you'll be notified here. You can still order fuel, however. The required range is 100m for a fuel transfer. This can be changed in Kerbal Konstructs' settings file if you want.
  4. Different fuel tanks store different types of fuel and have different capacities.
  5. You can order more fuel.
  6. Use the + and - buttons to change the amount you want to buy. You can't enter the amount in the text box, sorry. You can use the Transfer Rate buttons to change how much the + and - buttons increment or decrement your order.
  7. Or hit Max to order the tank to be filled to capacity.
  8. This is how many funds your order will cost.
  9. Any order placed will be immediately filled (pun intended) when you hit the Buy button. No confirmation necessary. No waiting. After buying or if you change your mind, click Done. There's no backsies - this will not revert an order.
  10. This is the active vessel.
  11. This is its fuel tanks. Name, type of fuel, amount of fuel in it.
  12. To select a tank to transfer fuel to or from, hit Select. Currently only one tank can be selected at a time. I hope to improve that.
  13. Select the rate you want the transfer to happen. x1 is slow. x10 is ten times faster than that.
  14. Now click In or Out to transfer fuel into the fuel tanks or out to the active vessel's tank. Click Stop to stop the transfer.
kkbreak.jpg

kkairracingheader.jpg

1. If you want to air race you need some tracks configured to use the racing feature. Try KerbinSide Air-Race.
  2. KerbinSide Air-Race currently has three tracks: KSCRace near KSC (easyish track), Dundards near Dundard's Edge (really very tricky track) and The Krags, near Black Krags (tricky track).
  3. To run a race, open Base Boss in flight and click the button 'I want to race!'
  4. The Base Boss will close and the race app will open. It'll tell you the distance to the nearest start line. Cross that start line to start the race.

airracefeature.png

kktutorials.jpg

kkreviews.jpg

kkissues.jpg

1. Launch sites don't always automatically clear before launch.
  2. The camera can be pretty shaky and wonky when working with statics.
  3. No official support of launchsites off of Kerbin. You can make them but be prepared for issues due to limitations in KSP that we've not figured out how to work-around.
  4. If you try editing statics a long ways away from the active vessel, the terrain won't be rendered properly.
  5. If you don't know how to use a feature (like the NGS) RTFM (or rather the Features section of this post) or post in this thread and someone who does know will probably tell you.

kktroublebanner.jpg

Having a problem you think is Kerbal Konstructs doing something wonky, wrong or unexpected? Here's what you need to do:

1. Try to reproduce the issue. If you can't then move on. KSP had wind.
  2. If that didn't help, are you using the 64 bit version of KSP for Windows?
  3. If you are, see if you can reproduce the problem in 32 bit.
  4. If you can't, KSP 64 bit didn't work properly. Make sure if you report the bug, you tell me that.

If you can reproduce the problem and want to post for help, you're now more likely to get help from me if you're specific about the issue and report the bug along with the following:

• Version of KSP.
  • 64 bit or 32 bit.
  • Platform.
  • Path of KSP install.
  • A KSP.log from the root of that install after reproducing the issue, returning to KSC and exiting the game.
  • Version of Kerbal Konstructs.
  • Path of Kerbal Konstructs install.
  • A list of other mods you have installed.
  • A screenshot of the problem happening, if you think it might help.

The base icons are white squares. The KK toolbar icons are just white. The NGS graphics are white.

Kerbal Konstructs isn't installed properly. It has hard-coded pathing for finding the textures it needs. See the Installation section of the OP to find out how KK should be installed. This may also occur if you have a duplicate dll lurking in GameData. Make sure there's only one KerbalKonstructs.dll, and that it's in GameData/KerbalKonstructs

kkcredits.jpg

medsouz - The First Forkmaster | AlphaAsh - The Current Forkmaster | Razchek - KerbTown Genius

kksourcery.jpg

kklicence.jpg

Spoiler

Kerbal Konstructs Plugin

The MIT License (MIT)

Copyright © 2015 Matt "medsouz" Souza, Ashley "AlphaAsh" Hall

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

Static Assets Artwork & Models

Copyright © 2014-2015, Ashley Hall and Alpha Strike Games

All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

3. Neither the name of the copyright holder nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

Addendum 1: You may modify the contents for personal use but may not re-distribute modified versions of the content without obtaining permission first. Contact Ashley Hall on the KSP forums, PMing the user AlphaAsh.

Addendum 2: This work may not be re-distributed, modified or un-modified in a 'mod pack'.

Addendum 3: If re-distributing, no financial or other form of profitable gain should be made from this work, directly or indirectly. No advertising of any sort may be included in the redistribution or at any point of redistribution.

Addendum 4: Contributions from collaborators may be licenced separately, except where such licence conflicts with this licence. Conflicts will be handled by the collaborators when they occur.

Edited by AlphaAsh

kkguide.jpg

Please note that this tutorial is out-of-date. Kerbal Konstructs editing tools have been refined and improved over many months. However, the basic principles explained in this tutorial still apply, and it should still be helpful for getting started using the editing tools.

To Make a New Base

Find a suitable location. Land there. You need a craft or a kerbal at the location you want to make a base. Make sure you're controlling that craft or kerbal, then hit Ctrl+K to bring up the Kerbal Konstructs Statics Editor window.

To Edit an Existing Base

Take control of a craft or kerbal currently at that base. Then hit Ctrl+K to bring up the Kerbal Konstructs Statics Editor window.

The Kerbal Konstructs Statics Editor

• This window lets you list available assets (typically known as 'statics') you can spawn. You can then select a static to spawn.
  • To have statics available to you, you need to have some content installed, like KerbinSide.
  • The window allows you to list all existing statics already spawned, known as 'instances'. You can also narrow down this list to instances in your immediate vicinity (within 10km). You can then select an instance to edit.

Let's take a look at using The KK Statics Editor to spawn new instances and edit existing instances.

Spawning New Instances

kkguidespawnnew.jpg

1. Click this button and a list of available statics will appear below.
  2. Each available static is listed as a button. The 'title' of the static appears to the left. Hopefully this will be descriptive enough to tell you what the object actually is.
  3. The unique identifier of the static appears to the right. You can use this to quickly identify which mod this static comes from.

Click one of the listed statics. This will spawn an instance of that static at your current location with the camera focused on it and pops up KK Instance Editor (see later).

Editing Existing Instances

kkguidelocalinstances.jpg

1. Click this button and only instances within 10km of your location will be listed below.
  2. Click this button whenever you want to commit any changes you make to instances. This button also appears on the KK Instance Editor. See later.
  3. Instances are listed as buttons. On the left of the button is the group the instance is assigned to.
  4. On the right is the 'title' of the static the instance is an instance of. (I bit my tongue. Ow.)
  5. When listing local instances, they can all be assigned to a custom group. Enter the name of the group you want them assigned to here.
  6. Click this to then immediately assign the listed instances to that group.
  7. Click this if you want a list of every instance regardless of where it is. Be careful if you decide to then edit a distant instance. When the camera focuses on it, the world itself may not be fully rendered, making it very difficult to edit your instance in relation to the terrain it is on.

To edit an instance, just click a button in the list. The camera will focus on it and the KK Instance Editor will pop up.

Why Group Stuff?

Currently the main advantage of placing instances in a group is it improves the efficiency of Kerbal Konstructs making instances in visibility range or out of visibility range active or inactive. It helps with KSP's performance. It will have future benefits as more features are added to Kerbal Konstructs.

The KK Instance Editor

When you spawn a new instance or edit an existing instance up pops the KK Instance Editor.

kkguideinstanceeditor.jpg

NOTE! Alt. is altitude. Rot. is rotation.

WARNING! Not all statics can be made launchsites.

1. Enter a number here and hit enter. This increment will be applied to re-positioning by the various re-positioning buttons below.
  2. Displays the current position of the instance. You can manually enter a new position in these five boxes. Hit enter after typing in a change.
  3. These sixteen buttons allow you to fine-tune the position of your instance. The increment modifies the size of the position change applied by a click. Experiment with them - no teaching how to suck eggs today.
  4. The buttons for rotation are a little different. The double arrowed buttons decrease and increase angle by 1 degrees. The single arrowed buttons decrease and increase angle by the increment divided by 10 degrees.
  5. This should be pretty obvious what it does.
  6. Click this to pop up the KK Launchsite Editor. More on this in the next part of the guide.
  7. Saves ALL instances, including the one you're working on.
  8. Saves ALL instances and deselects the instance you're working on. Camera focus returns to your craft or kerbal.
  9. Deletes (despawns/kills/removes)the instance you're working on.

Instance Editor (Updated)

The Instance Editor now has some very useful new features.

1. You can copy the position of an instance to a clipboard.
  2. Then when you spawn or select another instance you can paste the position. The instance will be immediately moved to that position.
  3. Snap to Surface is now correctly called Snap to Terrain because that's what it actually does.
  4. No more manually editing visibility range in the config file. You can do it in the editor.
  5. You can enable and disable the colliders of an instance on the fly. Be very careful with this. It can be useful in certain circumstances. Probably not when moving a launchsite with a craft on it.
  6. You can now duplicate the selected instance. This immediately spawns a new instance of the same model with the same position and switches selection to that new instance.
  7. Make Launchsite is smarter now. It's disabled when an instance can't be a launchsite.

kkinstanceed.jpg

kklaunchsiteed.jpg

The KK Launchsite Editor

The Launchsite Editor has been streamlined. Redundant settings that have to be edited in the config file (like the spawn transform and preview screenie) aren't displayed anymore.

8. You can now set the site category in the editor.

9. The annoyingly difficult to maintain (for me) drop-down for selecting site type has been replaced with just as good buttons.

10. To support the new career mode feature, you can now set the open cost and close value of a launchsite in the editor.

Edited by AlphaAsh

Sweet on the full release.

One question: I just tried to download this and it's the same file name I got when I downloaded it from the other thread a few days ago. Is that correct?

Okay 2 questions: I am having the hardest time figuring out how to keep the icons while running Active Texture Management. No matter what I put in the config, I have all black icons in the map view. In particular, what's wrong with this config and what config would work instead?

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG
{
folder = medsouz
enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
medsouz/.*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
}

No new version chap, 0.7.0 is the latest release. medsouz asked if I wanted to start a new thread for KK and I decided it was high time it got a 'proper release'.

RE: ATM. Not sure. I'll poke at it myself and see if I can figure it out.

No new version chap, 0.7.0 is the latest release. medsouz asked if I wanted to start a new thread for KK and I decided it was high time it got a 'proper release'.

RE: ATM. Not sure. I'll poke at it myself and see if I can figure it out.

I'm testing a config I found buried deep in the ATM thread (Praise be Google). I'll edit this with the config if it works.

*EDIT*

This config works, thanks to BigD145 back in October

{
folder = medsouz
enabled = true

OVERRIDES
{
medsouz/KerbalKonstructs/Assets/.*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
make_not_readable = false
}
}
}

Also, it some of the icons that were causing me problems were the KerbinSide ones and this fixed it:

{
folder = KerbinSide
enabled = true

OVERRIDES
{
KerbinSide/Parts/Static/.*Icon.*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
}

Edited by 5thHorseman

I was wondering if maybe someone wanted to help me make some abandoned stuff on Verviedi in Kerbol Expanded. Kopernicus and Kerbal Konstructs do in fact work together so I'd love it if anyone would!

Edited by _Augustus_

...This config works, thanks to BigD145 back in October

{
folder = medsouz
enabled = true

OVERRIDES
{
medsouz/KerbalKonstructs/Assets/.*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
}

Also, it some of the icons that were causing me problems were the KerbinSide ones and this fixed it:

{
folder = KerbinSide
enabled = true

OVERRIDES
{
KerbinSide/Parts/Static/.*Icon.*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
}

Linked in Known Issues in the OP. Thank you 5thHorseman for the support.

Linked in Known Issues in the OP. Thank you 5thHorseman for the support.

AlphaAsh, I went ahead and created these configs and packaged them for easy installation. For anyone who is unsure about creating config files for ATM, all you have to do is drop the ActiveTextureManagement folder in your GameData directory and say "yes" when asked to merge the folders.

All kredit of course goes to 5thHorseman, I just bundled them for easy install.

Download can be had here on dropbox. Feel free to re-host them somewhere else if you want :)

AlphaAsh, I went ahead and created these configs and packaged them for easy installation. For anyone who is unsure about creating config files for ATM, all you have to do is drop the ActiveTextureManagement folder in your GameData directory and say "yes" when asked to merge the folders.

All kredit of course goes to 5thHorseman, I just bundled them for easy install.

Download can be had here on dropbox. Feel free to re-host them somewhere else if you want :)

Added to Known Issues in the OP. Thank you Hektos for the support :)

...upgrading buildings, working hangers ect, or do you got ideas for a new project?

I've lots more ideas for KK but most of them are either in design or prototyping and I'm not quite prepared to 'announce' any new features right now for... reasons. Some of them might just dead-end, afterall.

It would be very nice to see a kind of RemoteTech integration for sites with tracking stations where they wouldn't work with RT unless you had unlocked them. :)

I have got a feature in mind for KK regarding tracking stations and communications between Kerbin and craft in orbit but I'm not keen on full integration with RT. RT does its own thing which is a little too complex for what I have in mind.

Saying that, if I can harmlessly write an 'active/inactive' toggle to the RT config I might try that but then the issue is persistency between different save games. That's what's really been putting me off pursuing RT integration.

tldr: RemoteTech's API needs to be heavily improved and that needs to happen their side. I've not discussed it with the devs of RT though.

Edited by AlphaAsh

One of many features I have been working on for KK is working facilities at bases. In most cases, it's not easy to determine just what to make a facility do that actually enhances gameplay, rather than nerfing or over-complicating it. I'm trying various features for the facilities based on my own design and then a few suggestions that have been made.

In a few cases, it's pretty obvious what to do. Take for example, fuel tanks.

kkwipfueltanks.jpg

This particular type of fuel tank only handles LiquidFuel. There's another tank in KerbinSide that handles LqF, Oxi and MonoProp. I'm also making sure it's nice and easy for statics authors to easily integrate their own stuff into these features.

This is only one facility with a working feature and there's a few more I have planned. Keep in mind, what you see here is WIP and very much subject to change.

[...]what you see here is WIP and very much subject to change.

What I see here is still pretty cool. I already love your mod, you're just giving me more reasons :)

Edited by Hektos

Finally! Actually refuelling something! Now I really kinda want to make a crane to change payloads and log the hours of flight a specific airframe has.. oh god, the awesomeness! Yes yes, subject to change, but I really can't wait for whatever this turns out to be, if anything.. I've been aching for it since I got into planes...

EDIT: Also, you have a review by Kottabos Games

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

Love this mod. I dare say people have already thrown these suggestions at you, but my wish list would the ability to build bases on moons, other planets too. (Or is that already possible?)

The other request - my kids' suggestion, is a destructible firing range. Somewhere to test all those wonderful BD Armory toys...

--Update --

You CAN build moonbases with it. Oh. Wonderful. Need more lunar-themed buildings in Kerbinside now...

Edited by BinaryBad

Inspired by Kottabos Games review of KK, I've also started on another feature for the mod. Exclusive static assets and some example bases built from them.

kkexclusives.jpg

Excuse the poor placement of a rocketpad next to Black Krags' runway. It won't be staying there.

It'll be a lot easier to try out the features of KK and have immediately to hand a few statics to already start making bases with. You can then better decide whether you want to commit more of KSP's limited memory allocation to other static packs, such as KerbinSide.

Am I blatantly p1mping my own statics pack as well? Yes, obviously :P

- - - Updated - - -

...You CAN build moonbases with it. Oh. Wonderful. Need more lunar-themed buildings in Kerbinside now...

Check out KSC++ by Lack. That's got some statics of that type you might like.

Do keep in mind that I can't properly support off-Kerbin bases with KK because of limitations in KSP. If launch-sites bOrk off-Kerbin, there's not much I can do about it.

I've always dreamt of playing KSP multiplayer where each player has their own space center located at different parts of the world, each upgradeable through multiplayer career mode. Maybe this is one small step towards that becoming a reality.

I love the idea of refueling at different bases. It would be cool to be able to "launch" EVA'd kerbals from the Astronaut Complex, so they can walk towards the refueled vehicle and take off. This way we could have forever persistent vehicles in the space center and beyond. For extra awesomeness, spawning kerbals at the VAB rooftop helipad. :)

Hi guys, I had a problem with a missing (white)basemanager-icon everywhere, when I installed kerbinside+kerbalkonstrukts with ckan. Problem is, ckan does not in install kerbal konstrukts into GameData/medsouz/KerbalKonstructs, how it should be, but GameData/KerbalKonstructs. I just added a mesouz-folder into GameData-folder + merged it with KerbalKonstructs and it worked again. Took me a while to find this obvious bug.:D

Just thought it should be fixed for ckan-installs. Great mod :)

I seem to be having a bug with the NGS feature.

When I first tried it, I clicked the nearest base NGS button and it seemed to work fine.... but then when I clicked on the NGS button again.... it seemed to break it. the turn markers no longer work, the central indicator stays red regardless of direction and no distance or position information is updated or displayed.

Even on restarting the game... I can select a base manually and enable NGS or click the NGS button for nearest base, and now it never works. The NGS display comes up, but nothing works or is updated on it. The central indicator and turn direction arrows do not function and the distance and position numbers are all 0.

It seems that whatever I did by clicking the button that second time... forever broke the system?