[1.1.2] Kerbal Konstructs v0.9.7.1 - Slopey Glidey

AlphaAsh

I seem to be having a bug with the NGS feature. ...

I'll take a look at this today and see if I can reproduce it.

It may be related to the NGS setting in medsouz/KerbalKonstructs/PluginData/KerbalKonstructs/KerbalKonstructs.cfg

For now, just open that up in a text editor and make sure it looks like this:

launchFromAnySite = False
disableCareerStrategyLayer = False
enableATC = True
enableNGS = True
staffHireCost = 1000
staffRepRequirementMultiplier = 50

The important line is enableNGS = True

That might not be the fix though. Don't know yet. Just a quick guess.

I love the Idea of this mod. I am not a mod maker but If any mod makers read this, here is what I would love to see happen with this. Combine this mode with a contract pack or even a story line pack and set things up so that parts, when landed, can be converted to a permanent part of the landscape. This would add some real intense end game game play and at the same time reduce PC power need.

Edited by mcirish3

I love the Idea of this mod. I am not a mod maker but If any mod makers read this, here is what I would love to see happen with this. Combine this mode with a contract pack or even a story line pack and set things up so that parts, when landed, can be converted to a permanent part of the landscape. This would add some real intense end game game play and at the same time reduce PC power need.

I second that notion!

Great idea

@AlphaAsh

No, it didn't help anything. That boolean just seems to make the NGS window default to on once you open BaseBoss. Nonfunctioning NGS still occurs.

I've had no luck reproducing the problem :(

Another thing worth checking. See if you've a stray duplicate KerbalKonstructs.dll lurking somewhere in GameData. This does sound like the kind of symptom of something like that and I've had reports of CKAN misinstalling the .dll.

Only other thing I can think of to try is the drastic one: back-up your saves, then clean install of everything.

Edited by AlphaAsh

Check out KSC++ by Lack. That's got some statics of that type you might like.

Do keep in mind that I can't properly support off-Kerbin bases with KK because of limitations in KSP. If launch-sites bOrk off-Kerbin, there's not much I can do about it.

What exactly breaks with off-Kerbin bases? I've wanted an orbital launch site (2,868.75 km alt) space station/shipyard for the longest time.

What exactly breaks with off-Kerbin bases? I've wanted an orbital launch site (2,868.75 km alt) space station/shipyard for the longest time.

That should theoretically work. The problem arises when the body you are launching from isn't Kerbin. But KK hasn't been tested with anything that high so unexpected results might occur.

That should theoretically work. The problem arises when the body you are launching from isn't Kerbin. But KK hasn't been tested with anything that high so unexpected results might occur.

Oh that would be sweet. A site in Keosynchronous orbit with the implication that it's the top of a space elevator :)

If you do it right you could even "land" on it as your orbital speed would match its "orbit." Too bad (I assume) you can't have docking ports on these buildings. :D

Oh that would be sweet. A site in Keosynchronous orbit with the implication that it's the top of a space elevator :)

If you do it right you could even "land" on it as your orbital speed would match its "orbit." Too bad (I assume) you can't have docking ports on these buildings. :D

I was thinking of using something more like Space Station V from 2001: A Space Odyssey, a very large space station. Well, 300m x 150m. Not nearly as big as michaelhester07's Torus/biodome parts.

I'm going to test this out, seems to be a way around the whole "not launching from Kerbin" problem... I'm wondering what happens when a ship spawns in exactly geosync orbit.

I second that notion!

Great idea

I think My Idea is a tough one to deliver on, because it would require combining this mod with a mod like extraplanetary launch pads, a mod like karbonite or Kethane, a mod like MKS, and some sort of integration to allow docking, or integration, (some sort of range detection at least so that the program knows what components have been added and where to put them relative to the other components and to add functionality to the new base as parts are delivered) which has never been made and I am not sure it even can be made ( though brilliant mode makers have proven every assumption including, squad's, about this game wrong upto this point) . I Like the Idea, not sure It can ever get off the ground.

Edited by mcirish3

I Make Statics. How Do I Make my Fuel Tanks, erm, Tank?

Snippet of a cfg file:

STATIC
{
name = ksidetanks13
mesh = ksidetanks13.mu
module = Part
category = none
author = AlphaAsh
static = true
scale = 0.1
rescaleFactor = 1
cost = 0
subcategory = 0
title = Fuel Tanks
manufacturer = KashCorp
description = Tanks with fuel
attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0
mass = 1
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 1
minimum_drag = 1
angularDrag = 1
crashTolerance = 1
maxTemp = 1
breakingForce = 1
breakingTorque = 1
[B] LqFMax = 5000
OxFMax = 5000
MoFMax = 5000[/B]
Instances
{
CelestialBody = Kerbin
RadialPosition = 23753.98,590139.3,-105991.7

See the three fields in bold. That's all there is to it. KK currently only supports the three main KSP fuels. Just add one of those fields, or two, or all three. Sup to you.

Design Notes

*Static persistency is keyed by the static's position (cos that is very unlikely not to be unique). If you move a static, you change its key and invalidate its persistency (you reset it as if it were new).

*KSP's persistency is a PITA to work with, so I ended up using my own persistency file. That means no support of quick loads and flight reverts. That means you can merrily abuse them to get spent money back and not lose purchased fuel. After the hell of trying to use KSP persistency and practically losing the will to live, I don't care. Abuse as you wish.

Edited by AlphaAsh

Looking good!

Two quick questions:

- Does placing assets incur an in-game cost?

- Are there any plans to have a build timer on placed assets, much as an RTS game would do?

I'm guessing electric charging points will be coming soon.

- Does placing assets incur an in-game cost?

- Are there any plans to have a build timer on placed assets, much as an RTS game would do?

I'm guessing electric charging points will be coming soon.

- No. You don't currently found or upgrade bases with Kerbal Konstructs' strategy layer and integration. That's still the editor. I do have plans for founding and upgrading bases though.

- Also see previous answer. Currently don't know. Time is not really a resource in KSP, so I doubt it though.

- Electric charging points is on the list for working facilities, yup.

- No. You don't currently found or upgrade bases with Kerbal Konstructs' strategy layer and integration. That's still the editor. I do have plans for founding and upgrading bases though.

- Also see previous answer. Currently don't know. Time is not really a resource in KSP, so I doubt it though.

- Electric charging points is on the list for working facilities, yup.

I thought I read somewhere else in the thread that implementing bases on bodies other than Kerbin might be very difficult - sorry if this has been asked 1,000 times, but is it simply difficult, or is there something in the game that absolutely prevents you from, say, establishing a launchpad on the Mun (and maybe somehow using RocketParts from a nearby somethingorother to create stuff, or whatever kind of construction process)?

I thought I read somewhere else in the thread that implementing bases on bodies other than Kerbin might be very difficult - sorry if this has been asked 1,000 times, but is it simply difficult, or is there something in the game that absolutely prevents you from, say, establishing a launchpad on the Mun...

Start with this post: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/93699-0-90-WIP-Kerbal-Konstructs-v0-6-6-%28Dec-16%29-Static-Objects-and-Launch-Sites!?p=1589207&viewfull=1#post1589207

and then go from there. It has come up a few times, yup.

Changelog:

• Added the first 'working facility' feature - fuel tanks. Order, store and transfer fuel from tanks at bases using the Base Boss Facility Manger.
  • Added exclusive static assets for Kerbal Konstructs, including: rocket fuel tanks (liquidfuel and oxidizer), runway, helipad, rocketpad, large hangar, control tower, VAB, taxiways and a crawlerway.
  • Added an exclusive example base, Round Range, using only the new assets.
  • Various bug fixes.

See the three fields in bold. That's all there is to it. KK currently only supports the three main KSP fuels. Just add one of those fields, or two, or all three. Sup to you.

Design Notes

*Static persistency is keyed by the static's position (cos that is very unlikely not to be unique). If you move a static, you change its key and invalidate its persistency (you reset it as if it were new).

*KSP's persistency is a PITA to work with, so I ended up using my own persistency file. That means no support of quick loads and flight reverts. That means you can merrily abuse them to get spent money back and not lose purchased fuel. After the hell of trying to use KSP persistency and practically losing the will to live, I don't care. Abuse as you wish.

So my Idea is not as far out of the ballpark as I thought but is still along way off. Solving the KSP persistency file problem is a big hurdle I hope someone can solve for you. Thanks for a great mode :)

Huh, so what I gather from that is that, for example, it might be vaguely possible to somehow make it so that you can place static, non-spawn/non-launch-point objects off of Kerbin using EPL resources (integrating the two just a little bit for certain cases, like: find a container with RocketParts within X kilometers and deduct some), but using an EPL part as an actual launch point near those static objects might be less bounce-y or less problematic than spawning directly from the VAB at a KK site and somehow magically requiring nearby RocketParts to do that, assuming that could be done as well...

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

Playing around with the editor, I intuitively tried to click and drag statics to reposition them fast - doing it with the arrows is like typing with a remote control.

I'm hopeful some serious modellers start developing some properly pretty, yet efficient (thinking of Bac9's greatest gift to us, the new KSC) statics for DIY bases.

One set of stock statics I'd really like are bridge parts. I'm sad that Kerbin City's bridge has lain unfinished so long.

...Solving the KSP persistency file problem is a big hurdle I hope someone can solve for you...

It's the hooks and the way they dump everything into persistent.sfs. I can't be selective about what to write to it and don't have the advantage of using those hooks the same way you can with parts. After so many attempts to find a way to get my data to actually 'stick' in persistent.sfs I finally had to give up and use my own db. At least I learnt how to use the living c*** out of ConfigNode during all that.

I'm hopeful some serious modellers start developing some properly pretty, yet efficient (thinking of Bac9's greatest gift to us, the new KSC) statics for DIY bases.

Read this initially as a thread dump then realised that it's you colmo :P TBBH, I stick to simple modelling because A) Unity/KSP struggles with too much detail in a scene a lot more than 'more advanced' game engines and B) I'm not getting paid to make models in KSP. I save my best work for professional contracts. I have to.

One set of stock statics I'd really like are bridge parts. I'm sad that Kerbin City's bridge has lain unfinished so long.

Eskandare likes bridges. Go talk to him in the Cities of Kerbin thread. I do believe he shares your disappoint :)

Edited by AlphaAsh

Thanks for this! Brings so much to the game, especially in the sense of not having to fly a craft over, put its coordinates in hyperedit and save it, this actually adds an actual BASE! Consider this a subscribe.

Re my problems from the other thread, moving where it was installed seems to have fixed it.

It seems to be running smoothly. Though it did onec say this in the log::

[Warning]: File 'C:/Users/Thomas/Downloads/KerbalSpaceProgram/KSP 0.90/KSP_win/KSP_Data/../saves/OoECoM/KK.cfg' does not exist

And this:

[Log]: KK: KerbalKonstructs.updateCache could not determine playerPos. All hell now happens.

I am getting some crashes when switching to space center, but that's still under investigation, and seems to happen even if KK is not there.

Edited by Tw1

[Warning]: File 'C:/Users/Thomas/Downloads/KerbalSpaceProgram/KSP 0.90/KSP_win/KSP_Data/../saves/OoECoM/KK.cfg' does not exist

Expected behaviour. Kerbal Konstructs will create it. You can ignore this message generated by KSP.

[Log]: KK: KerbalKonstructs.updateCache could not determine playerPos. All hell now happens.

Shouldn't happen. Either Kerbal Konstructs still isn't installed properly or your KSP installation is plain broken. Reproduce the error then I need your KSP.log. I'd also appreciate a directory listing of your GameData folder and a subdirectory breakdown of GameData/medsouz.

EDIT - Also I'm concerned that Windows may restrict access to dlls installed to that path. In fact I'm now thinking that first warning might in fact be KK not being able to generate a file because of Windows security restrictions on that path.

EDIT 2 - I am now 99% positive that all of your KSP issues are going to be to do with Windows security on that install path. Move your KSP install somewhere sensible.

Edited by AlphaAsh

Is this the future? This is a tremendously fun idea and execution.

Am I wrong to assume this only works on Kerbin? I'd love for this to allow building up bases on Mun, Minmus and beyond!

--also, I'd love for them to be hidden/unusable until they're discovered by flying around/scansat. ;)