[1.1.2] Kerbal Konstructs v0.9.7.1 - Slopey Glidey

AlphaAsh

How To Make a Race Track

• You'll need Kerbal Konstructs and you should go check out the various tutorials linked in the OP so you know how to use the editor.
  • This short "tutorial" assumes you have some understanding of Kerbal Konstruct's editor.
  • KerbinSide Air-Race has some statics specifically for creating races.

A race track has three elements: the Start Line, the gates and the Finish Line.

1. All of these elements should be in the same Group.
  2. The Start Line should have a FacilityType defined as RaceStart.
  3. The Finish Line should have a FacilityType defined as RaceFinish.
  4. Each gate is a pair, with one side with a FacilityType of GateX, the otherside GateXP. Where X is the number of the gate.

So your first gate would have one pole with FacilityType defined as Gate1. The other pole defined as Gate1P.

Technical stuff:

• Start and Finish Lines detect the distance to a vessel from their origin. So that's a sphere. It's a fixed distance right now. Yes this is a lazy solution and I'll be improving it in future versions of KK.
  • Gates calculate a lerp vector between the poles and the distance between the poles. This then determines a point and the range to that point a vessel must be to be considered through the gate. Again a pretty lazy solution I'll be improving.
  • The statics in KerbinSide Air-Race had to have a new version of the start and finish lines created to move the origin, which are in the latest version.

Edited by AlphaAsh

I have a bug to report: When launching a vessel from KSC2 (the only one I've looked into at the moment; this bug does not occur on the Launch Pad), after flying up about 6 km, the launch clamps suddenly spawn around my vessel again, sometimes which my rocket will collide into. I have several mods installed, so I can try it in vanilla, but I suspect this is Kerbal Konstructs (w/ Kerbin-Side).

I have a bug to report: When launching a vessel from KSC2 (the only one I've looked into at the moment; this bug does not occur on the Launch Pad), after flying up about 6 km, the launch clamps suddenly spawn around my vessel again, sometimes which my rocket will collide into. I have several mods installed, so I can try it in vanilla, but I suspect this is Kerbal Konstructs (w/ Kerbin-Side).

Totally... bizarre. I'm not even going to try and reproduce that. Next time it happens, revert to the VAB, exit to KSC and then go and grab your KSP.log and post it here.

I'd like more than one report of this before I even consider investigating. Anyone else?

Is there a way to rotate statics in more than one axis? My towers always seem to spawn on their sides. I would also like to increase the maximum render distance past 100km.

1 - There was but it didn't work properly. I removed the feature because it didn't work properly. You can try playing around with the Orientation parameter of an instance:

Instances
{
CelestialBody = Kerbin
RadialPosition = 156866.5,-271438.8,514765.2
[B]Orientation = 0,1,0[/B]

since I haven't totally deprecated it. Unless I did. I'll check.

2 - An instance's render range is determined by VisibilityRange:

Instances
{
CelestialBody = Kerbin
RadialPosition = 156866.5,-271438.8,514765.2
Orientation = 0,1,0
RadiusOffset = 2516.78
RotationAngle = 180
RefLatitude = -26.76663
RefLongitude = 73.05223
[B]VisibilityRange = 25000[/B]

which can also be set with the Instance Editor. I don't recall there being a hard limit. I'll check that too.

Edited by AlphaAsh

I recall reading that launch clamps following your vessel is a stock bug that may or may not be made worse by world/launch site modification. Probably not much that can be done about it.

Is there a way to rotate statics in more than one axis? My towers always seem to spawn on their sides. I would also like to increase the maximum render distance past 100km.

Orientation settings will be back in the next version of KK. Do expect camera wonkiness and un-intuitive weirdness in how the three axisii(es?) interact with rotation. It's an editor, so the controls will just allow direct control of the three axisisisisisis. (I bit my tongue.) They range from -1 to +1.

Maximum VisibilityRange in the editor I'll make configurable in the KK config file.

v0.8.4 available from KerbalStuff.

Changelog:

• maxEditorVisRange configurable in KerbalKonstructs.cfg. This determines the maximum that Visibility Range can be set to in the Instance Editor.
  • Orientation setting re-implemented in the Instance Editor.
  • Configurable X, Y and Z axes, ranging from -1 to +1.
  • Four presets, Top Up, Bottom Up, On Left, On Right.
  • X and Z have 'tip' buttons, allowing increases and decreases to the axis in steps of 0.01.
  • Note that the camera axis will change along with the object.
  • Orientation changes may interact un-intuitively with rotation settings.

Allright, nice! thanks for the update:)

The new orientation and visdistance settings work great and the camera silliness is not too serious.

It was worth doing. I'd been putting it off because I knew any implementation would be flakey at best. I think I ended up with the best functionality - certainly better than the way it was done in KerbTown - and I've already taken advantage of orientation in one of my other projects.

Would love to see what you do with it.

Basically i was just testing how a space elevator or some other massive construct would look like in ksp, and it seems like they look pretty cool.

Didn't think anything working or useful would come out of it, but i got the colliders working without too much crashing, although they cause flickering in the texture. I was wondering if making a animation of a some sort of a platter going up and down and attaching a collider to it would let you ferry stuff up, i will try to learn animating next week or so.

There are quite a few issues with the tower being treated as ground and the payload moving at orbital velocity.

I made a Imgur album with all kinds of research notes from my discoveries:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Basically i was just testing how a space elevator or some other massive construct would look like in ksp, and it seems like they look pretty cool.

That is pretty frickin' amazing. I never knew you could make anything NEARLY that big. I thought you had to keep it under the 2.5 (or 22.5) km physics bubble limit.

...i got the colliders working without too much crashing, although they cause flickering in the texture.

Awesome sauce sir. Regarding colliders, on such a huge object you'll probably find you have to 'cut them up' a lot. KSP physics tends to 'see' gaps in exceptionally long edges of colliders. It's what makes creating reliable colliders on objects like runways so difficult.

under known issues (sorry, I didn't read all 22 pages so I don't know if this has been answered) Active texture management causes black squares. Resolved by 5th Horseman.

I don't have active texture management installed but have that exact same issue whenever I install texture replacer. Uninstall Texture replacer, black squares go away. Every time.

Really isn't much of an issue, more of a curiosity. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :D

under known issues (sorry, I didn't read all 22 pages so I don't know if this has been answered) Active texture management causes black squares. Resolved by 5th Horseman.

I don't have active texture management installed but have that exact same issue whenever I install texture replacer. Uninstall Texture replacer, black squares go away. Every time.

Really isn't much of an issue, more of a curiosity. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :D

Nothing I can do. It's TextureReplacer that needs to be fixed.

As well as working tracking stations (which will be revised to work with the recently announced new feature for KSP) there's quite a bit more planned for the next version of KK, which I'm considering bumping to 1.0.

This includes a GUI overhaul, because KK needed one desperately, because it needed it to support lots of new features coming and because Unity 5 when KSP 1.1 lands means I need to redo it all again. Okay, that last reason didn't make sense.

Still, overhauling the GUI seemed to be a sensible thing to do since I'm also re-structuring the project to make better use of OO. Properly placing code in classes and isolating repeated code to methods in the right classes should mean an easier to maintain and update plug-in. That's the theory anyway. In practice, I'm a lazy sod and KerbTown's legacy-code is a hell of endless spaghetti so put those two together and I quickly get bored and go do something fun instead.

Like new features. Enough technical gibberish, here's some eye-candy.

kkv1i1.pngkkv1i2.png

GUI improvements and polish. A unified GUI where the same stuff was just being presented differently in various scenes.

A couple of new features you can probably spot are the ability to 'favourite' sites and then filter the launch selector by favourites. You'll also be able to set a default launchsite separately for the VAB and SPH and configure it for when you start a save.

Bases will also be getting logs. Just because logs are fun. That feature may not be ready for 1.0. It involves persistence. I hate coding persistence.

I seem to be having some issues in selecting KSC2's launch pad. Loading my rocket in there causes the game to load into a half-state, so to speak. I get a view of the underside of the rocket, or fire and smoke, and no controls work. The controls don't even engage that the rocket's on the pad, showing the SAS controls while nothing is active. No staging appears, either. Anyone else have this? I've removed and reinstalled a fresh download of the mod and still the same thing happens.

Anyone else have this? I've removed and reinstalled a fresh download of the mod and still the same thing happens.

The symptoms described are indicative of an out-dated Kerbal Konstructs, incorrect install and/or a second .dll lurking in GameData.

In order to help you I need to know/see:

1. Version of KSP.
  2. Platform. If Windows, are you using 32bit KSP or the 64 bit hack?
  3. Path of KSP install.
  4. A KSP.log from the root of that install after reproducing the issue, returning to KSC and exiting the game.
  5. Version of Kerbal Konstructs.
  6. Path of Kerbal Konstructs install.
  7. A list of other mods you have installed.

I also need some clarification concerning the issue:

1. Is it only happening when you launch from the launchpad at KSC2?
  2. Or is it happening at other custom launchsites?
  3. Is it happening when launching from KSC's launchpad or runway?
  4. As a smoke test, can you confirm that custom static buildings are appearing as you would expect?

Edited by AlphaAsh

im screwing around with somefriens on a kerbtown type thing, using our own models but we were wondering how long till we cold get destuctible buildings like stock?

- - - Updated - - -

where do you ut the textures? and how do you set it up in unity?

im screwing around with somefriens on a kerbtown type thing, using our own models but we were wondering how long till we cold get destuctible buildings like stock?

No ETA. I've not even looked at what or how and probably won't. I tend to add stuff I want first, since I make mods for me first. And it's not a feature I care about, sorry.

where do you ut the textures? and how do you set it up in unity?

I'm not going to discuss the lengthy processes involved with texturing models. There's an entire sub-forum dedicated to helping you over here.