[1.1.2] Kerbal Konstructs v0.9.7.1 - Slopey Glidey

AlphaAsh

Other things functional buildings could do:

- Warehouses + storage silos for resource storage (modders could add non-stock resources such as RocketParts, Karbonite, Uranium, whatever)

- resource conversion e.g. refineries, factories, power stations, part recycling plants.

Half-done. I still need to do some new models for these types of facilities before finishing up some code.

Response to a PM better addressed in the thread.

...what if K Konstructs had the option to deploy a 'field base' in a location?

...throw custom locations into existence without having to waffle through the static-placing menu. Not to mention it allows players to 'PLAY' setting up locations rather than mod it.

Base 'founding' has been something I've wanted to do for a while but I was never able to find a decent technical solution. Thanks to the work on the custom instance importer, I now have something to adapt to a solution to being able to save and load static instance data per save game.

Of course the actual game-mechanics and interfacing with appropriate static models still needs to be coded up, but at least the main obstacle has finally been cleared.

I didn't know KK works with RSS now:

Project Alexandria (Video)

I did a quick test. It seems you place the objects and then manually change CelestialBody = Earth to CelestialBody = Kerbin. Else KK crashes.

If this is stable, it could make a few players happy.

That makes sense. I've never actually included anything in KK specifically to support planetary or kerbol system rescales or changes. If it works, then great :)

Response to a PM better addressed in the thread.

Base 'founding' has been something I've wanted to do for a while but I was never able to find a decent technical solution. Thanks to the work on the custom instance importer, I now have something to adapt to a solution to being able to save and load static instance data per save game.

Of course the actual game-mechanics and interfacing with appropriate static models still needs to be coded up, but at least the main obstacle has finally been cleared.

Niftiness.

I wonder if that mechanic will work for offworld bases as well. I know the Focus of Kerbin Side is ground bases, and KK was founded to replace kerbtown, but it makes sense that fixed, static meshes that can only be thrown in at start would not be desired since they would instantly open other worlds.

But the options this could unlock for building offworld colonies that AREN'T a collection of rocket bits and in-situ clunkers might be worth expanding the scope, from my point of view.

The ability to, not only plop down a base, but for a player to direct the overall nature of the facilities just makes my inner RTS tingle. That's something I've wanted in gameplay for a long time... This weird cross-mix between doing everything by hand and designing your vehicles, and the ability to quickly turn that into an automated process.

For mechanics overall, though. First and foremost I'd suggest delivery-by-part triggered by a Kerbal as the central 'mechanic'. You want a base in a specific spot, you HAVE to put a Kerbal ON SITE. Since I'll forget half of what I think up if I go to sleep at this point, I'm going to go ahead and imagine a little now rather than wait for a response.

Obviously, putting a part a Kerbal can trigger on site is key. Whatever the function of the import feature works, I'd wonder if you can make statics that can act partially like pods. Not mobile, but the ability to house Kerbals and provide life support for those mods that utilize it and act as a 'there are kerbals on site' there. Partially, this calls back to my PM last week. If you can build sites anyway, obviously auto-recover to the space center makes no sense if the Kerbal in question is on DUNA. And if a part is delivered, triggered, and the mesh for the base replaces it, obviously you have to move the vehicle that 'deployed' it in the first place. Or delete it. Kind of a problem though if Kerbals are required on site, or are in a vehicle. Thus, kill vehicle, replace with mesh, house Kerbal.

I think about some of the mods I've been looking at now, like Civilian Population and Pathfinder, and then my mind goes full RTS with the potential. If you can found a 'base', why not go the whole nine yards? For the operational cost of setting up a colony and collecting materials 'in situ', you can accumulate the supplies needed to build out base structures. Base structures are 'placed' at say, the expense of rocket parts. (Search all physics loaded sources for parts and take them as needed?)

- Base Command Center (Nothing works without a command center, defines the area around it for a few km as the base itself. Anything built in its boundaries belong to that base.)

- Base Power (Mining, Manufacturing, and Fabrication of vehicles need a power center.)

- Base Housing (Offworld recruiting station.)

- Base Mining (Kerbin uses funds, offworld uses resources)

- Base Manufacturing (The mid-step for the resources)

- Base Comms (Tracking station or remote-tech command center... Would need an interesting flag)

- Base Construction (VAB/SPH equivalent)

- Launch Pad (Duh?)

- Helipad (DUH?)

- Runway(s) ((DUUUUH?)

I'll stop now. Don't want to get TOO excited since you likely don't even know if/when you'd start on something like that. Though, I can offer my services to flesh out a project plan if you want Alpha. Something that has complex potential, but is in itself simple for players to use.

No need for a spec/project plan. That's something I always do, a habit of my profession.

I always stick to the KISS principle for game-mechanics design. I like a certain amount of 'real' in my KSP but I also prefer a certain amount of abstraction in any game. The core mechanic of any base 'foundation' and 'expansion' will be: Mine for Ore. Refine/convert ore to Processed Ore. Use Processed Ore to construct stuff.

No need for a spec/project plan. That's something I always do, a habit of my profession.

I always stick to the KISS principle for game-mechanics design. I like a certain amount of 'real' in my KSP but I also prefer a certain amount of abstraction in any game. The core mechanic of any base 'foundation' and 'expansion' will be: Mine for Ore. Refine/convert ore to Processed Ore. Use Processed Ore to construct stuff.

I like having things to DO myself, but I hate when it starts becoming a chore.

I'm a fan of 'start it by hand, then bring in the automation'.

I like having things to DO myself, but I hate when it starts becoming a chore.

I'm a fan of 'start it by hand, then bring in the automation'.

The involvement of kerbals in attendance (and I mean actual kerbonauts) is at the top of my requirements.

The involvement of kerbals in attendance (and I mean actual kerbonauts) is at the top of my requirements.

I hope this will come with Diamond Pickaxes...

BTW, on RSS I cannot delete an object. This may or may not have something to do with the CelestrialBody problem. And the fact that KK updates all .cfg's on close, even those unchanged. Otherwise it seems to work perfectly fine.

Maybe, if it's just one line of code or something, possibly, could you have look at it?

I hope this will come with Diamond Pickaxes...

BTW, on RSS I cannot delete an object. This may or may not have something to do with the CelestrialBody problem. And the fact that KK updates all .cfg's on close, even those unchanged. Otherwise it seems to work perfectly fine.

Maybe, if it's just one line of code or something, possibly, could you have look at it?

I'll take a look sure. For now, shut down KSP and delete the instance out of the config by hand.

How do I place objects at the KSC so they are visible in "Space center" view (like KerbinSide)? I placed some Floodlights next to the Lauchpad and I can only see them "out in the field", when I launch. I remember this used to work fine a year ago... Any tips?

Edit: works fine with KK v 0.7.1. Didn't test other versions. Strange thing is, Kerbinside objects are allways visible.

Edited by Divico

How do I place objects at the KSC so they are visible in "Space center" view (like KerbinSide)? I placed some Floodlights next to the Lauchpad and I can only see them "out in the field", when I launch. I remember this used to work fine a year ago... Any tips?

Edit: works fine with KK v 0.7.1. Didn't test other versions. Strange thing is, Kerbinside objects are allways visible.

Any object you want to appear in the Space Center scene must be placed in a group called KSCUpgrades.

Any object you want to appear in the Space Center scene must be placed in a group called KSCUpgrades.

Aaand that's the magic button. How's that "Advanced User's Reference Manual for Base Konstructors" comming along?

p.s. It does make the LP look better, I think. They are even clickable.

l1HUxd2.jpg

Edited by Divico

Hey huys,

Has anyone had this glitch when the part models don't load after you've launched a custom launchsite?

I've built a small airstrip and when I launch from there I get the collision boxes right and it seems that everything is in place, but I can't see the models - as if they're transparent.

Would much appreciate some advice!

Hey huys,

Has anyone had this glitch when the part models don't load after you've launched a custom launchsite?

I've built a small airstrip and when I launch from there I get the collision boxes right and it seems that everything is in place, but I can't see the models - as if they're transparent.

Would much appreciate some advice!

It's a KSP bug I still haven't been able to work-around. After setting up a new launchsite, a restart of KSP should fix the issue.

If you also play with RemoteTech, and want a transmitter at each location with a launchpad, add the following segment to RemoteTech_settings.cfg immediately after the Mission Control ground station. This list is up to date as of v0.9.4.1.

STATION
{
Guid = 6a558734-4c7e-4d25-b3c3-4a6319510f02
Name = Central Lakes Space Operations
Latitude = -15.263
Longitude = -88.666
Height = 15.9
Body = 1
MarkColor = 0.996078,0,0,1
Antennas
{
ANTENNA
{
Omni = 7.5E+07
}
}
}
STATION
{
Guid = bd71f9d2-1dea-4e27-90e3-4feef8a2c304
Name = Deadkerbal Pit Launch Site
Latitude = 14.684
Longitude = 52.304
Height = 1840.7
Body = 1
Antennas
{
ANTENNA
{
Omni = 7.5E+07
}
}
}
STATION
{
Guid = 7df29bdf-8a7a-4bad-9f7e-5a61f6af776d
Name = Dull Spot
Latitude = 63.884
Longitude = 7.552
Height = 426.2
Body = 1
Antennas
{
ANTENNA
{
Omni = 7.5E+07
}
}
}
STATION
{
Guid = fab4d66b-f3aa-4640-ac24-63a7488c4dae
Name = Goldpool
Latitude = -1.11
Longitude = -162.633
Height = 12.7
Body = 1
Antennas
{
ANTENNA
{
Omni = 7.5E+07
}
}
}
STATION
{
Guid = f9c4489e-4a27-4ecb-b50d-f97eddf6fefc
Name = Great Ez Kape
Latitude = 20.998
Longitude = -34.13
Height = 11.5
Body = 1
Antennas
{
ANTENNA
{
Omni = 7.5E+07
}
}
}
STATION
{
Guid = 8b826094-a883-40ee-993d-e991191dfd85
Name = Green Basin
Latitude = -6.439
Longitude = 1.323
Height = 1420.8
Body = 1
Antennas
{
ANTENNA
{
Omni = 7.5E+07
}
}
}
STATION
{
Guid = 0a578880-c014-46e3-afa8-6c3c3eb0975a
Name = Hanbert Cape
Latitude = -22.612
Longitude = 39.745
Height = 3.9
Body = 1
Antennas
{
ANTENNA
{
Omni = 7.5E+07
}
}
}
STATION
{
Guid = 923c247a-435d-4f02-9da0-2826e3cff625
Name = Kraken’s Belly
Latitude = -26.706
Longitude = -106.981
Height = 2478.1
Body = 1
Antennas
{
ANTENNA
{
Omni = 7.5E+07
}
}
}
STATION
{
Guid = 1e81745e-a567-4ac0-ac16-df26ed92a968
Name = KSC 2
Latitude = 20.663
Longitude = 33.579
Height = 424.2
Body = 1
Antennas
{
ANTENNA
{
Omni = 7.5E+07
}
}
}
STATION
{
Guid = 1591424a-f543-49e8-944e-97c2643c9a31
Name = Mount Snowey Launch Complex
Latitude = 20.431
Longitude = 101.826
Height = 3476.8
Body = 1
Antennas
{
ANTENNA
{
Omni = 7.5E+07
}
}
}
STATION
{
Guid = 483c3bb4-57a6-494c-b65f-9515146b926b
Name = Round Range Launchpad
Latitude = -6.057
Longitude = -80.529
Height = 1212.8
Body = 1
Antennas
{
ANTENNA
{
Omni = 7.5E+07
}
}
}
STATION
{
Guid = 1e1a8991-edc0-427c-9dc4-7e3b52094edb
Name = Sanctuary Mouth
Latitude = 23.681
Longitude = 140.056
Height = 13.1
Body = 1
Antennas
{
ANTENNA
{
Omni = 7.5E+07
}
}
}
STATION
{
Guid = f961ac88-c9e1-422a-b739-bd96e8dedfdc
Name = Sea’s End
Latitude = -34.117
Longitude = -100.206
Height = 6.6
Body = 1
Antennas
{
ANTENNA
{
Omni = 7.5E+07
}
}
}
STATION
{
Guid = 6dee4ea3-337a-45ec-b014-9520acca8f7d
Name = Zebedee Polar Launch Facility
Latitude = 78.477
Longitude = -35.1
Height = 948.9
Body = 1
Antennas
{
ANTENNA
{
Omni = 7.5E+07
}
}
}

Does anybody know how to make another launch site the main one? I'd love to make the Kosmodrome the main one.

You can set a new launch site as default in the VAB and SPH. So you don't have to change it every time. But you cannot change the "Home view" of the KSC.

• 3 weeks later...

Im playing on lowest graphic settings

Mod does now work

I build a base and when i go to spawn at it or fly to it from another base the created base is not there. Its physics are but the base itself isn't

kYrBpBr.png

As you can see in the picture. The probe core is physically on the base…but the base is invisible. It was visible when I made it though

Im playing on lowest graphic settings

Mod does now work

I build a base and when i go to spawn at it or fly to it from another base the created base is not there. Its physics are but the base itself isn't

http://i.imgur.com/kYrBpBr.png

As you can see in the picture. The probe core is physically on the base…but the base is invisible. It was visible when I made it though

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/105247-1-0-4-Kerbal-Konstructs-v0-9-4-1-For-Justin?p=2231370&viewfull=1#post2231370