[1.1.2] Kerbal Konstructs v0.9.7.1 - Slopey Glidey

AlphaAsh

13 minutes ago, AlphaAsh said:

Based on the info you've provided, I haven't a clue what's wrong.

A KSP.log would be useful. I'd also check it yourself to see if it's reporting something as simple as not being able to load a static.

The symptoms you describe are indicative of a faulty static cfg or a faulty installation.

Statics are all ok, but... the bases are gone somehow (the function of being a base/ launchsite for some statics). I believe that somewhere is some kind of conflict, which terminates to run this function.

10 hours ago, AlphaAsh said:

Based on the info you've provided, I haven't a clue what's wrong.

A KSP.log would be useful. I'd also check it yourself to see if it's reporting something as simple as not being able to load a static.

The symptoms you describe are indicative of a faulty static cfg or a faulty installation of the mod.

Yeah this again. I think blowfish and I need some kind of forum macros for responding to the same question being asked over and over. I do have a 'search the thread' image around here somewhere...

Yes you can build launchsites on bodies other than Kerbin. However KSP's spawn/launch code is written assuming that the gravity of Kerbin is there when the vessel is spawned. If it's not, when a vessel is spawned it might not settle properly and may be inclined to float off somewhere or just drop at an odd angle.

Hence, I don't provide support for issues that arise from launching vessels from custom launchsites on bodies that aren't Kerbin. I'm not going to try and re-write KSP's spawning code at that level. That's like work, man.

Issue is not about that (those bases are working perfectly, well at least on my KSP, and are simply made for fun for myself and simplify some work as modify planets at it`s finest, and so on...), but overall KK function is not working. I can click this icon on game as much as i wish or punch buttons combination Ctrl-K as much as i wish, but ... there is no outcome. Even the bases/launchsites aren`t visible, only statics.

And it seems that i need to send my KSP.log file directly to you or something like that because i tried many pastebin and it`s alternatives and my 6mb log file is too heavy for them  :D:( .

Here is my KSP.log file. Maybe someone with a good eyesight could see some conflict or something else reason there (i think).. :) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx0FJ5V1tOR5NU92eFFkWmxOV1U/view?usp=sharing

(as far as i`ve tested, it seems that i don`t see any conflicts with other mods, so reason is somewhere else)

Edited by EmperorPeeter
Adding more information about bug.

@AlphaAsh Getting more and more interested into this. I had a first look into the code, it doesn't looks too crazy even if some comments would help a bit :P

Trying to get the clearest possible picture of the project, on which functionalities are you currently focusing the most (high-priority stuff) ?

There are two things on which I'd like to do something :

- Tracking stations : if RT integration is not possible, I guess that the only remaining option is to write a RT-like (without using its code, which would indeed be wrong). Obviously, that's a lot of work, probably enough for this summer.
- Resources production : to begin with, "Food", "Water" and "Oxygen". It would cover the basics for a mod like TAC LSS. At first the way you did it with fuel : a water tower + a warehouse you could use to refill your stores. If everything goes as planned, a recycling plant that converts the various types of waste into a little bit of money. That should fit in the "low hanging fruit" category.

I see a lot of other things that can be done, but those two ones seem to be a "foundation layer" to me.

Also, I think that a detailed .pdf User Manual could be useful, so I'll try something in that area too.

Welcome on board chap. I like the cut of your jib or whatever and I've been desperate to get another code monkey on board since medsouz bailed. Any contribution is very very welcome.

12 minutes ago, N_Molson said:

@AlphaAsh Getting more and more interested into this. I had a first look into the code, it doesn't looks too crazy even if some comments would help a bit :P

Trying to get the clearest possible picture of the project, on which functionalities are you currently focusing the most (high-priority stuff) ?

There are two things on which I'd like to do something :

- Tracking stations : if RT integration is not possible, I guess that the only remaining option is to write a RT-like (without using its code, which would indeed be wrong). Obviously, that's a lot of work, probably enough for this summer.
- Resources production : to begin with, "Food", "Water" and "Oxygen". It would cover the basics for a mod like TAC LSS. At first the way you did it with fuel : a water tower + a warehouse you could use to refill your stores. If everything goes as planned, a recycling plant that converts the various types of waste into a little bit of money. That should fit in the "low hanging fruit" category.

I see a lot of other things that can be done, but those two ones seem to be a "foundation layer" to me.

Also, I think that a detailed .pdf User Manual could be useful, so I'll try something in that area too.

And all of this.

I have a tendency to chuck a lot of stubs for features in and then just work on developing features as I fancy. It makes for a very relaxed project.

If you want to take a more formal approach, you can of course.

TLDR: You decide what interests you and what you work on whenever.

Edited by AlphaAsh

12 hours ago, EmperorPeeter said:

Here is my KSP.log file. Maybe someone with a good eyesight could see some conflict or something else reason there (i think).. :) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx0FJ5V1tOR5NU92eFFkWmxOV1U/view?usp=sharing

(as far as i`ve tested, it seems that i don`t see any conflicts with other mods, so reason is somewhere else)

Really? Chap, look at the mess at the start of that log.

I think you should consider a complete re-install of KSP, making sure that it's somewhere that isn't Windows protected (since that may be the root of your problems).

A lot of mods are throwing exceptions and that's going to make such a heavily modded game very unstable indeed. I'm not supporting issues you place on KK in amongst that mess.

Edited by AlphaAsh

3 hours ago, AlphaAsh said:

Really? Chap, look at the mess at the start of that log.

I think you should consider a complete re-install of KSP, making sure that it's somewhere that isn't Windows protected (since that may be the root of your problems).

A lot of mods are throwing exceptions and that's going to make such a heavily modded game very unstable indeed. I'm not supporting issues you place on KK in amongst that mess.

previous version  worked perfectly, with no errors (without any conflicts with those mods).

Right now i found a reason(not really, but somewhere) of a conflict, but which were the main issue, i don`t know yet to tell, but right now KerbalKonstruct decided to start work properly again. Also i re-installed my KSP again. I will tell, if i found the reason.

Edited by EmperorPeeter
Adding more information about bug.

3 hours ago, AlphaAsh said:

Okay.

Mod called "It`s the little things" - somehow it conflicts with KK base stuff and disables it. I believe that there might be some parts, which somehow maybe give false feedback to KK and then shut it`s launchsites functions off (this is assumption, the real answer, which conflicts there, is unknown).

24 minutes ago, EmperorPeeter said:

Mod called "It`s the little things" - somehow it conflicts with KK base stuff and disables it. I believe that there might be some parts, which somehow maybe give false feedback to KK and then shut it`s launchsites functions off (this is assumption, the real answer, which conflicts there, is unknown).

The statics in the pack aren't configured for KK correctly then.

EDIT - There's a sub-folder in that zip called game data. Can I assume you actually extracted itstheLittleThings from that in to GameData?

I've had a quick look at the cfgs and they seem fine at a glance, which makes me wonder whether you went and dumped game data into GameData. Because yes that'd break KK.

Regardless, you need to talk to the team that made It's the Little Things.

Edited by AlphaAsh

So after a few days of trying to get KK and RT to be nice with each other, I put that aside and decided to make some pink lines aimed at Kerbin for myself instead.

screenshot79.png

Well, it is at least progress.

0.9.6.6_EX now available. See OP for links.

Changelog:

• This is an experimental version. That means it has new features that aren't necessarily finished.
  • It may also mean bugs.
  • If you don't like experimental features or risk of bugs, then don't update.
  • Started implementing new features for operational tracking stations.
  • Uplinks from tracking stations to vessels in orbit of that body are now displayed in the tracking station/map view.
  • A green line means the station uplink has a lock. A red line means it doesn't.

A Note on Experimental Versions

I've been chastised on occasion for releasing experimental versions of KK. However, since the testing team here consists of me, myself and my wife I rely on these kinds of releases to get stuff tested 'in the wild' so-to-speak.

If you don't want to help with testing, don't update to an experimental release. Wait until the next (more likely) stable release.

Edited by AlphaAsh

@AlphaAsh RemoteTech integration could be done easily by various cfg files, one for each tracking station. The files could be .txt files so that Module Manager ignores them. When a player buys a tracking station, he should exit the game and change the extension of the corresponding file to enable RemoteTech for it. Yes, not elegant, but it's how I've been playing before 1.0.

To be honest, I kind'of miss the older Kerbinside, with very few options and very basic interface. Just open base, be able to take off or run simulations, get KCT and Stage Recovery to take closest base into account, be able to refuel (TacFuelBalancer did the trick for me), park some planes and then launch them again (Ship Manifest to spawn kerbals), a few nice tracking stations with the above implementation. All the while, everything working with NavTools HSI for easy landing. 

19 minutes ago, karamazovnew said:

@AlphaAsh RemoteTech integration could be done easily by various cfg files, one for each tracking station. The files could be .txt files so that Module Manager ignores them. When a player buys a tracking station, he should exit the game and change the extension of the corresponding file to enable RemoteTech for it. Yes, not elegant, but it's how I've been playing before 1.0.

That's a work-around. I want a more elegant solution, first and foremost, for me. Since I can't get that with RemoteTech's currently rigid API and feature-set, I make my own solution. And like all the features I put in KK, as much as is possible, I make it possible to switch them on and off or to configure them.

Don't like a feature? Turn it off. Prefer to use an alternative mod even without any integration? Yup, you can turn that off too. In the latter case, by deleting an interface assembly (dll). Like how you don't have to have CityLights in EVE. Or RemoteTech support with Contract Configurator.

19 minutes ago, karamazovnew said:

To be honest, I kind'of miss the older Kerbinside, with very few options and very basic interface. Just open base, be able to take off or run simulations, get KCT and Stage Recovery to take closest base into account, be able to refuel (TacFuelBalancer did the trick for me), park some planes and then launch them again (Ship Manifest to spawn kerbals), a few nice tracking stations with the above implementation. All the while, everything working with NavTools HSI for easy landing. 

See above. KK hasn't actually changed very much at all other than to have lots more options added to it. That first and foremost, I want. And often because I don't actually like the 'standard' mod for a solution. Like RemoteTech.

EDIT - Kerbal Konstructs has tracking stations in it. It has fuel stations in it. It has control towers. Offices. Factories etc. etc. etc. I want all of these things to do something other than look pretty. It is the number 1 criticism that Kerbin-Side had in its early forms.

Edited by AlphaAsh

Three other things came to mind after replying to that last post:

- I could put a 'lite' setting in KK. Click the button, tada, KK lite. I haven't because I didn't think anyone would want such a thing.

- Kerbal Konstructs allows third party static AND base development. It allows other modders to insert into KSP something entirely new.

- KK has a licence that permits total freedom to fork it. If someone wanted to, they could do a 'launchsite capabilities and statics loader only' version if they wanted to.

In conclusion: I am not restricting myself or holding back. In doing that, if I lose a 'user' because of perceived bloat, frankly my only response is... *shrug* meh.

Edited by AlphaAsh

2 hours ago, AlphaAsh said:

Uplinks from tracking stations to vessels in orbit of that body are now displayed in the tracking station/map view.

is this just aesthetic? if I understand correctly this will not have any effect with RT, right?

Just now, Noobton said:

is this just aesthetic? if I understand correctly this will not have any effect with RT, right?

It is just aesthetic right now. And nothing I'm doing tracking station wise has any effect or interaction with RemoteTech. I've given up trying and I'm creating my own features for tracking stations, relays and comms.

1 hour ago, AlphaAsh said:

It is just aesthetic right now. And nothing I'm doing tracking station wise has any effect or interaction with RemoteTech. I've given up trying and I'm creating my own features for tracking stations, relays and comms.

I'm curious as to why you aren't just waiting until the official "remote tech" feature comes in 1.2? Is it just that you want it right now so you're working on it now? Or are you just getting the bulk of the work out of the way and are planning on integrating with the stock feature whenever it comes out? Just curious, obviously do whatever is most fun for you :)

7 minutes ago, magico13 said:

Is it just that you want it right now so you're working on it now? Or are you just getting the bulk of the work out of the way and are planning on integrating with the stock feature whenever it comes out?

Yes.

:confused:

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. The current RemoteTech code seems to be using functions from an obsolete version of the API, and is causing framerate loss, as far as I can tell. Having that integrated and optimized to the KSP API would be of course by far the best option. Better idea to build a foundation with plain concrete rather than gravel, if you want to build a nice and durable house. :)

Had my first attempts to play with KK code, I failed miserably but errors teach you a lot of things too. I'll try to have some fun with Water & Food, and ideally Waste stuff.

1 hour ago, N_Molson said:

The current RemoteTech code seems to be using functions from an obsolete version of the API, and is causing framerate loss, as far as I can tell. Having that integrated and optimized to the KSP API would be of course by far the best option.

I do think RemoteTech is choking under some legacy code but having gotten to know the code a bit I can see they're making good headway. Unfortunately even with a decent API, the underlying structure is just too rigid for me to not want to just go round it all.

Instead I'll build from the ground up, with concrete, as you put it.

I think RoverDude's stuff coming in 1.2 will serve RT and KK both well. If anything, it might give us something to replace some of the bigger chunks of code. Occlusion comes to mind. I hate that code in KK and would dearly love to hook KSP more directly for stuff like it.