is this PC?!  

23 members have voted

1. 1. is this PC?!

• buy now
    • it's good
    • it's okay
    • it's bad
    • it's useless

Now this may seem stupid that I've done this twice but this one's for my friend and it's a different pc.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm?itemId=261568740636

Tell me what you think

Please explain your vote also remember this is for gaming in general not just KSP

Edited by Commander Jebidiah

If you are getting it for gaming in general, a prebuilt rig just isn't a good option. build one tailored to your needs.

What is your budget?

Edit: the 1GB AMD Radeon HD5450 video card was a budget video card from 5 years ago. that said, this link HERE says that particular card ran far cry 2(a game from 2008) at high quality settings at an unplayable frame rate. So I imagine modern games will be less than cooperative.

The CPU is listed as the vague "Intel Core 2 Duo 3.00 Ghz" is presumably the Intel Core2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz, which, while rated highly for value, is not rated highly for performance.

Edited by r4pt0r

Better than Anything I will ever get... my 2008 macbook pro has 2.3 Ghz duo and like 256 MB of graphics and 2 GB of ram. It takes patience to get used to that, but take my specs as the lowest even possible. I can't play ksp with 300 or more parts.

I like how it has OpenOffice and Chrome logos on the image when they're free software you can download onto (almost) any PC...

Clearly designed for people who don't have that big a knowledge of computers, it lists things you can store on a 1TB hard drive.

Not too promising, i'd look for an up to 3.40 Ghz(or more) processor and for a graphic processor with 2gb memory(dont need more unless you really wanna use multiple monitors). Those should make a fine gaming computer.

The VRAM and the Clock of the CPU are the least important specs on a PC, there are even Pentiums from 2004@3,8Ghz, also there is stupid hardware like the GT 610 with 4GB...

For something thats used for gaming i would recommend at least an i3 (should be Sandybridge or newer) or an AMD FX 6300 (not good for KSP due to low performance per core) and as a GPU something like a R7 260X or a GTX 750TI. Anything older or weaker will have problems with modern games at some point...

If you are getting it for gaming in general, a prebuilt rig just isn't a good option. build one tailored to your needs.

What is your budget?

Edit: the 1GB AMD Radeon HD5450 video card was a budget video card from 5 years ago. that said, this link HERE says that particular card ran far cry 2(a game from 2008) at high quality settings at an unplayable frame rate. So I imagine modern games will be less than cooperative.

The CPU is listed as the vague "Intel Core 2 Duo 3.00 Ghz" is presumably the Intel Core2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz, which, while rated highly for value, is not rated highly for performance.

I had an 8400 and it was an overclocking monster. One button push to overclock to 4.00 GHZ.

The rest of the machine is not good. Dude spend at least £500 on a machine. Look at the PC gamer system recommendations. They are excellent and cover every price point.

Edited by Majorjim

You can get an outdated PC on ebay for 200 quid, but if you save just 300, you can build a decent low end, modern gaming PC that would be orders of magnitude faster and better. There are lots of useful build guides on youtube.

Even though I'm an Intel man myself, for your price range, I would recommend an AMD APU dual graphics build - excellent performance for that price range.

Edited by segaprophet

You can get an outdated PC on ebay for 200 quid, but if you save just 300, you can build a decent low end, modern gaming PC that would be orders of magnitude faster and better. There are lots of useful build guides on youtube.

Even though I'm an Intel man myself, for your price range, I would recommend an AMD APU dual graphics build - excellent performance for that price range.

If there is a Windows license involved it's pretty hard to build your own for less in the low end. Get a cheap machine and add a decent video card seems to be the play in that scenario.

That's ignoring whether one has the skillset to build their own (it's not overly difficult but some people are uncomfortable with it).

If there is a Windows license involved it's pretty hard to build your own for less in the low end. Get a cheap machine and add a decent video card seems to be the play in that scenario.

That's ignoring whether one has the skillset to build their own (it's not overly difficult but some people are uncomfortable with it).

There are ways to get Windows legitimately on the cheap -

As for learning how to configure and build a PC, all I can say is that it's not without challenges but it is a rewarding experience.

Edited by segaprophet

I'd buy this computer only if I were planning to upgrade it.

Memory: 8gB. That's fine for now, my machine is running 4gB with very little trouble. The fact that it's DDR2 means it could be difficult to upgrade when it comes time.

HDD: 1000gB. Also fine, you shouldn't need to upgrade that for a while.

GPU: Radeon HD5450. Could certainly be upgraded with great benefit. I recommend Radeon HD 6850 or higher. I think they sell for about $100 nowadays.\

CPU: Intel Core 2-Duo @ 3.0 gHz. Not terrible, but could certainly be better.

Meh, I'm not gonna make a liar of myself to save a few bucks on a Windows license, though if one is legitimately a student that's an option (I got Office for cheap this way when I was in university).

I personally agree that building your own is satisfying (that's why I build my own even if it doesn't save money), but not everyone is into that sort of thing.

I currently have a old 2011 IMac, which is just awesome for its age.

Specs: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i7-3.4-27-inch-aluminum-mid-2011-thunderbolt-specs.html

I have the upgraded processor, 8gb of ram and the upgraded graphics card.

I plan on buidling a PC next year, but I still have lots to research and learn about that.

I currently have a old 2011 IMac, which is just awesome for its age.

Specs: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i7-3.4-27-inch-aluminum-mid-2011-thunderbolt-specs.html

I have the upgraded processor, 8gb of ram and the upgraded graphics card.

I plan on buidling a PC next year, but I still have lots to research and learn about that.

That's cool, I also have a maxed out Mid-2011 iMac (the 21.5"), in addition to my gaming PC - I use them both.

Anyway, to anyone interested in a good PC on the cheap, $400 (~£250), done and done -

That's cool, I also have a maxed out Mid-2011 iMac (the 21.5"), in addition to my gaming PC - I use them both.

Anyway, to anyone interested in a good PC on the cheap, $400 (~£250), done and done -

I love that IMac model, but I need to take it apart and dust off the cooling systems.

I love that IMac model, but I need to take it apart and dust off the cooling systems.

Then don't cheap out on the thermal paste. :)

I once took apart my old i7 2670qm hp laptop and put stock thermal paste on the gpu.

Never again.

Now this may seem stupid that I've done this twice but this one's for my friend and it's a different pc.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm?itemId=261568740636

Tell me what you think

Please explain your vote also remember this is for gaming in general not just KSP

I do not think it is very suitable for gaming at all. The processor was good in its day, but is ageing and not very suitable for newer games, let alone the newest games. The video card is not a gaming card at all. You might be able to play older games, but do not expect a lot, as it is a 20-25 pound video card.

For use as a gaming computer I would advise against it. Lightish duties only.

I do not think it is very suitable for gaming at all. The processor was good in its day, but is ageing and not very suitable for newer games, let alone the newest games. The video card is not a gaming card at all. You might be able to play older games, but do not expect a lot, as it is a 20-25 pound video card.

For use as a gaming computer I would advise against it. Lightish duties only.

I second this. You're not going to want anything under a fx 6300, even for KSP. I'd also recommend a gtx 760, as NVIDIA is slashing their prices in preparation for the gtx 960.

Also, the gtx 960 might be a bad deal, especially with the rumor that it is crippled by a 128 bit memory interface. No amount of un utilized vram can fix that, as it'll only add more waste.

Go for a decent prebuilt normal profile i5 pc with a decent psu, and a pcie 16 slot, then put in a gtx 750 ti. Should have no problems, unless you run linux or some crazy non windows os.

Edited by andrew123

You do realize that that card is about as expensive as the entire proposed computer, right?

That's a moonshot proposal, incase he can stretch that budget.

I'd recommend at least a GTX 750 ti, as that's the current sweet spot. It the budget is unchangeable, then you're going to have to compromise with the gpu. I can attest that KSP loves punishing GPU's with shadow rendering, as my over clocked GTX 760 can show with its thermals.

So, really, don't cheap out to the level of a core 2 duo. The Pentium G 3258 is an amazing deal at under 70 bucks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117374

Edited by andrew123

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.