Contract: Test Mk2-R Radial-Mount Parachute - Wont deploy above 23k so can't complete?

Ok so I'm trying to complete the Test Mk2-R Radial-Mount Parachute contract, which requires me to have a speed of 210-410 m/s whilst flying, over Kerbin and at an altitude of 23500m to 33300m.

The problem I'm having is that after attempting the mission over and over again, trying to toggle the variables for chute deployment etc is that I can't get the chute to deploy above 22800m or something like that. Even if I manually try to activate them at that altitude they wont actually deploy until the craft goes lower (I'm assuming this has something to do with atmospheric pressure).

But then how is it possible to complete the contract if the chute simply wont open before that altitude? Any advice?

As far as I know, the chute doesn't actually need to deploy, it should complete through activating the stage. Doing this does actually set the chute to 'fired', so it will automatically deploy at the relevant altitude - you'll notice the icon changes from white to a blueish off-white to signify this.

I've done a lot of high altitude chute contracts in 0.25, though not since 0.90, so it's just possible they tweaked it and what I'm saying is worthless.

Any advice?

Click on the "+ more info" blue-text item on the contract to see what counts as completing the test. Normally, you have to hit space to stage and you're done, no matter whether it makes sense, but sometimes there's a different way to do it, and the blue-text expands to let you know what you have to do.

(Though I'd argue it makes sense to test a parachute above where it should deploy, to test that the deployment mechanism doesn't trigger early)

If you attempted to deploy the chutes as you say in your OP, then you should have gotten a Contract Completion notice in the upper right, assuming all test conditions were met simultaneously. In other words, you need to be flying in the altitude window at the same time you're flying in the specified velocity range, and then deploy the chutes via stating. If you see the number in the upper right increment, you got it.

Managed to get the contract complete today, simple problem was not releasing the chutes via the space bar (staging). After waiting for the criteria to be met I was able to complete it successfully by releasing the chutes via staging job done.

Thanks for the help guys.

Another bit of advice, slightly off topic. If you are required to perform a test with both altitude and speed ranges (and the altitude allows it), I recommend obtaining the parts and fuel to build a jet plane. I find it easier to to reach midpoints in the required ranges with greater control from the use of a jet plane. This works with survey missions too. I also include science parts, which are justified by science gains. Landing the plane at the KSC afterwards allows for a decent recovery compensation.

For those who are better at taking off than they are at landing, planes can be fitted with chutes and brought down safely, so that funds recovery to some degree is still an option.

• 3 years later...

Greetings from a beginner, this is my first post. I just figured this one out: I also managed to test the parachute in descent, but after my ship fell below the required speed & height the test indicators went grey again, and the contract was not fulfilled upon landing.

On my third attempt on the launch pad, I realized that the parachute and the decoupler under the capsule were on the same stage. I added a stage, dragged the decoupler there, and after that the test went perfectly.

Clearly arming the parachute while decoupling was what ruined the test.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.