Zoom in closer on Kerbin? (I am trying to get surface sample in specific area)

Hello,

I have been struggling to get two surface samples for a contract. I have landed my lander super close, but am apparently not close enough - how can I get to these areas? I have been wandering around randomly sampling the ground but haven't found the proper spots and am going crazy :confused:.

If you can't zoom in and such, any tips on getting there in a more efficient way than literally walking around. I have also discovered that if I walk around (or run with Shift) and time warp to level 4, I often times just fall into Kerbin and die (??!) so I can't really zoom around.

Here's how close I am:

16oOerc.png

..but walking around doesn't really provide any waypoints:

Uhq3sed.png

Edited by Carbal

That's probably about 5-10 km actually - Kerbin's a pretty big lump of rock remember. You're best to use spaceplanes or rocket-launched rovers for those. You can also install the In-Flight Waypoints mod which will give you visual markers.

I'll look in to those (that in-flight waypoints sounds fantastic)! But say I wanted to run to the target (say I was like 500m away), there's not a stock way of doing it really?

But say I wanted to run to the target (say I was like 500m away), there's not a stock way of doing it really?

Not on EVA, no. If you use a spaceplane or rover or similar you can add the waypoint to the navball, which will tell you which direction it is. In most cases that leads you straight to it :D

Thanks! I'm in Career mode and don't have spaceplanes available yet, so will just use rockets to get to the area via navigation. It's just tough to hone in on the exact area, but (as with most things in KSP) it'll just take time and many tries.

In that case, I would suggest you do other contracts until you do have spaceplanes. The survey ones really aren't worth the effort if you can't do them reliably first time :(

Noted, thanks. To the Mun!

Edit: For the record, apparently I have to spread some reputation around before giving more to you again :blush::huh:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.