Eve - A ground based circumnavigation @ 13 m/s

Fengist

Glad you made it. Personally I am glad to hear that the last bit of the trek was uneventful. After all the problems that plagued the mission, it is good to see the guys make it.

Thanks! I'm sure they're glad to be rid of me.

phew! bet you and crew never want to see /anything/ purple ever again!!!

Not from the ground anyway. There is one island that actually looks reddish from the orbital images. I thought briefly about detouring to see what color it really was but instead, flew Target over it... it's purple too.

That sneak peek looks to me as though you are somewhere on the mun...

That would be correct. The question is... with what?

You finished! Well done! This is a mission report for the archives.

Was there a part of Eve you liked best, while you where there?

Thanks! Honestly, after circumnavigating Eve by air, I was expecting a bit more from it. I guess it looked a bit more rugged from 20km up. I honestly found it to be more flat and boring than I expected. Even the highlands were nothing compared to what you find on Kerbin. Granted, I steered around most of the impact craters so I didn't have those slopes to deal with, but the mountains... I was hoping for a nice peak or two. Just didn't materialize.

I would still wish to see them boys safely home :) Leaving Eve is an adventure by its own )

If all else fails, I'll have Kirke use his transporter (he's a captain ya know). Come to think of it, I should have called Bob...Bones.

Cool story! That must have taken a lot of patience. Well done for persevering with it, now I never have to :P

It looks like that thingy you have on the moon might be some kind of walker/rover/krakenbait.

LOL, most likely, the latter. But you are correct in all three assumptions.

• 1 month later...

How time flies, the last time I checked was at the big breakdown, but congratulations on completing the journey!

I think you may have missed out on some of the more interesting features of Eve, the North Pole for example is pretty impressive, and the terrain at both poles is definitely challenging. Also, some of the craters are interesting, and at least for me, working to find decent passes through the more mountainous regions was pretty engaging. It was pretty neat that your rover had sea-going capability.

How time flies, the last time I checked was at the big breakdown, but congratulations on completing the journey!

I think you may have missed out on some of the more interesting features of Eve, the North Pole for example is pretty impressive, and the terrain at both poles is definitely challenging. Also, some of the craters are interesting, and at least for me, working to find decent passes through the more mountainous regions was pretty engaging. It was pretty neat that your rover had sea-going capability.

Thanks!

If you're attempting your own circumnavigation, I've started a challenge to try to keep track of everyone who's done one. Feel free to join it.

Well that was an impressive read! I actually stumbled on your Mun-walker thread first, so the "teaser" pic was kinda spoiled, but that's not important. I am curious what exactly happened to the first Walkabout? It's not exactly clear, but I'm guessing the parts-clipping finally caught up with it and caused explosive failure?

Whatever the case, I thoroughly enjoyed reading. One of the highlights of KSP is trying to overcome the glitches and "engineering faults" we sometimes find ourselves in. I'm well-acquainted with that sense of relief at the end too, though in my case the Centipede didn't have nearly as far to travel as Walkabout. Might not make for a climactic finish, but at least everyone gets out alive.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.