[1.10.0] S.A.V.E - automatic backup system - 1.10.0-3173

Nereid

Just came across a possible bug:

For debugging purposes, I had to rename the game directory. After running the game, I noticed that SAVE had done it's save in the original location.

It seems that you are storing a complete path. This could be a problem if someone needs/wants to rename everything or move it to a new location and SAVE then won't seem to be working properly.

How about adding an option which would, if the backup directory is inside the game directory, either automatically alter the path to be relative to the game directory, or ask the user if they would want it to be relative or absolute? My personal preference would be to make this automatic, and only store the complete path if the selected directory is outside the game directory.

Ok, bug report:

The backup works fine, as long as you don't rename the install directory.

However, the restore does not work at all.

I was testing a rocket, so did a save first, did my thing, and when I was done I did a restore.

It sat there for a bit, then said it was done, but it hadn't done anything. I had to go into the save directory itself and restore the persistent.sfs file by hand

This is version 0.9.17-387, installed by CKAN

Windows 7, KSP 32 bit.

I recently (last night) received a mention in KSP that my save was corrupted. My saved career game disappeared from KSP's list and from S.A.V.E. However, once I manually moved my save files from the S.A.V.E. directory back to their previous home in the KSP directory, my game was restored. So, restoration of corrupted game from within the S.A.V.E. interface--not in this instance. All of my hard work with my career saved by S.A.V.E. and a tiny bit of manual intervention--done!

Thank you! You saved Jeb! (Well, technically since I just sent him on a mission to land on the Mun and I screwed up with my maneuver nodes meaning that he won't have enough fuel left to reach escape velocity, AND since I play with TAC-LS and KCT, the chance of getting a rescue mission to him in time is pretty slim, I think you doomed Jeb. But all for SCIENCE!)

• 2 months later...

I loved this mod and it did save me in a couple spots....but I'm now no longer using it. Due to the number of items in my saves folder, this mod started to cause some horrendous hangs when saves occurred. I had the mod set to backup everything on every save. What the mod is set for doesn't really matter...as whenever the backup happens, it will cause a hang because of the number of items it has to backup. In addition it slows down transitions between scenes. After removing it the difference is night and day.

So there's two problems when you have a lot of items in your saves folder:

1. when the game performs the backup it will hang for a time depending on how much is present in your saves folder. For me, right now, the hangs last for 15-20 seconds. Sometimes as long as 30 seconds. After removing the mod the saves are instantaneous.

2. when switching between scenes this mod causes hangs. For me this meant switching between scenes lasted the better part of 30 seconds. After removing the mod, switching takes maybe 5 seconds.

This happens on all of my systems. Everything from my gaming system at home to my ultrabook. On Windows 7 or Linux...it doesn't matter....it happens. Regular hard drive or SSD, doesn't matter.

Right now on my Linux install...where I did get the mod working....I have two saves, one totalling 39.5MB and the other totalling 27.3MB. That's NOT including the Subassemblies directory which doesn't get backed up.

Now for me, these issues are moot....since I recently switched to Linux for KSP to use the 64 bit version, I've found it to be incredibly stable (just got done streaming for 7+ hours without a single crash). I don't really need a special mod for backups now tied to the in-game saving. That was only necessary because of the inherent instability of windows versions of KSP either due to the unstable 64 bit version, or the memory limited 32 bit version. As I said, this mod saved me a couple of times, but the hangs that it has caused have stressed me out at times. I will not miss it because of that alone.

If you want to see examples of the issues I state above, you can view them on my past broadcasts.

Example from Sunday night WITH the hangs: http://www.twitch.tv/thundergod97/b/643326839

If you want to see how it now plays without the mod, you can watch any of my streams from this point on...or any of my past broadcasts from this point on. No this is not a means to get more viewers...just want to point out a severe flaw with this mod. The more you play, the worse it gets unless you severely limit what is saved in your saves folder.

I run another mod to do incremental backups of craft, which bloats the SPH/VAB folders enormously so I really don't want to back those up, it makes the hangs you described ridiculous - might want to try turning "Recurse subfolders" off & see if that helps. It doesn't help that it backs up copies of KAC's backups as well though - can we get an option to just backup persistent.sfs? maybe configurable backup types so it does persistent.sfs often and a full recursive backup very occasionally.

Incidentally that mod ( CraftHistory ) runs in it's own thread, it appears - that'd solve any hanging issue if S.A.V.E did it.

Edited by Van Disaster

It would be useful if SAVE would be less brute-force about the backups, only copying files that have changed since the previous backup.

For right now, I just set it to 2 or 4 hours and a maximum of 5 SAVE folders.

(Being on a SSD also helps.)

Your mod is great.

I would use it, but we Mac users already have a native option, that works flawlessly. The Time Machine.

It automatically keep a track of the changes and do the regular copies, based on time change.

;)

But yours are great option for others.

Cheers.

Nice Idea.

I installed it from ckan, but having some problems. I had a problem and wanted to turn back to a save state. But including the very first backup it didn't work. And it says all the saves are corrupted, but when I use the save its working fine. Maybe I am doing something wrong, any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...

For some there is some kind of timing issue when restoring backups. S.A.V.E will do backups and restores asynchronous, which is working well for me but it seems not for all. KSP or Unity behave differently in a strange way as it seems.

I will upload a version for 1.0 which use synchronous I/O operations by default this week.

Backups should work. If a restore would not, you have to copy the files manually until then.

Sorry for the late answer.

It' s already on my list. I'm using S.A.V.E quite a lot myself for development purposes and have fixed a few more or less minor bugs in the meantime. I will see what I can do next weekend (it is a long weekend here in Germany).

BTW: don't restore backups of fresh games. The folder is empty and KSP may get get crazy then.

Thank you for this mod Nereid. In .9 I restarted my "serious career" many times due to ruining my persistent file with new mods. Now I have this installed and it's already saved my game twice for 1.0. Most excellent!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Neriad,

Love this, has saved my game many times.

Couple of suggestions:

1. Backup the settings.cfg as listed above

2. Add a new function to clone a complete save into a new one. For example, let's say I have a game saved as "Career 1". I'd like to be able to clone it to "Career 1-1". I can do this easily by opening Windows Explorer, but it would be nice to do this inside the game.

Thanks

LinuxGuruGamer

If anyone is interested, I'm trying to make a fork of this until Neriad does another update.

This is for myself, I'd be happy to share with anybody.

I'm trying to put in a cloning functionality, which would easily clone a save into a new save.

I'm also looking for some input. Assuming you are interested, would you prefer to clone a save into a new save file, or clone a current save into a new save file?

LGG

If anyone is interested, I'm trying to make a fork of this until Neriad does another update.

This is for myself, I'd be happy to share with anybody.

I'm trying to put in a cloning functionality, which would easily clone a save into a new save.

I'm also looking for some input. Assuming you are interested, would you prefer to clone a save into a new save file, or clone a current save into a new save file?

LGG

I have the cloning functionality finished and working.

The following is a link to a Zip file which contains the modified DLL and a Readme file:

S.A.V.E-Modified

Please note, that this has only been used by myself. I suggest that you create a backup before trying to use it

I would appreciate any comments on it, and if/when Neriad accepts my changes, will delete it at that time

LGG

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.