[1.10.0] S.A.V.E - automatic backup system - 1.10.0-3173

Nereid

[quote name='linuxgurugamer']
I'm trying to put in a cloning functionality, which would easily clone a save into a new save.

LGG

A cloning feature is included in 1.1.1-1239

Edited by Nereid

In case there isn't an official meaning of S.A.V.E., I think a good one would be "

Snack-Augmented Version Keeping".

Well, there is no official meaning of "S.A.V.E". I was missing something like this while I was struggling with some bugs or new features in FinalFrontier. Often I couldn't reproduce something or have to test something again and just wanted to reload the latest quicksave... but I forgot to create one. Or (more disastrous) I saved/quicksaved but to late. Ok, just take a note "build/install a backup-every-save-plugin" - just below the many other notes that just say "build/install a backup-every-save-plugin" ;). Hyperedit often helps a lot, but its cumbersome too sometimes. Someday I was just thinking about how a plugin like this could be named and I liked the idea of "S.A.V.E". The next day I was starting to implement it.

BTW: I will add an option to the cloning feature to clone the backups of a game, too. Its easy to test a backup this way without overwriting a real game.

Edited by Nereid
quoting

• 3 weeks later...

I have uploaded 1.2.2 with some new features:

• Compressed backups (but be carefull: you need S.A.V.E to decomress them!)
  • Cloning backups into new games with backups included
  • Support for large collections of save games

But keep in mind: This is a new release and it's not very carefully testet. 1.1.x seems to work fine, this should work too. But if you want to stay on the safe side keep 1.1.x.

On 21.1.2015, 20:46:31, BlackSoldierB said:

It is possible to disable the backuping temporarily?

When i have several backups, and i need to find the correct backup, I don't want it to create backups of already backed up files.

I will add this in the next release.

On 30.3.2015, 09:47:18, thundergod97 said:

I loved this mod and it did save me in a couple spots....but I'm now no longer using it. Due to the number of items in my saves folder, this mod started to cause some horrendous hangs when saves occurred.

Just don't backup as often. Unfortunately doing async backups is not very reliable and seems not to work for everyone (it works for me, but caused major issues for others). Most of my personal games are really small. Maybe larges saves will cause issues with lags.

I'm a bit busy with other things at the moment, but send me a save and I will try to analyze the issue someday.

I recently installed this mod and despite being quite impressed with it, I have run into an issue with the compressed saves. For some reason when compression is enabled, the game locks up when ever I try to enter the tracking station. I've tried async/sync and some other settings. The logs report no errors, it just stops responding. The only oddity being the fact that the memory usage of the ksp process drops to about 44 mb.

• 3 weeks later...

this needs the ability to delete backups while in game as an option in the gui, great job on this

edit: also if this can refresh if you manually delete a backup while in game, of course adding a delete function would solve that. Hard to keep track of a huge list of backups and it allows you to pick the backups to keep. Renaming backups in game would be cool too.

Also why in in the settings does it say my backup path is...

C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_Data/../backup

when it is really located here...

C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program/backup

Edited by i_like_kerbals
more stuff

58 minutes ago, i_like_kerbals said:

Also why in in the settings does it say my backup path is...

C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_Data/../backup

when it is really located here...

C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program/backup

The "/../" means "go up a level".  So, it starts out in .../Kerbal Space Program/KSP_Data/, and then up a level to .../Kerbal Space Program/, and then into backup.

On Dienstag, 15. Dezember 2015 at 2:45 AM, CovertJaguar said:

I recently installed this mod and despite being quite impressed with it, I have run into an issue with the compressed saves. For some reason when compression is enabled, the game locks up when ever I try to enter the tracking station. I've tried async/sync and some other settings. The logs report no errors, it just stops responding. The only oddity being the fact that the memory usage of the ksp process drops to about 44 mb.

I will take a look into this soon. But at the moment FinalFrontier gets most of my attention.

• 1 month later...

Something has borked my career save and I'm trying to diagnose it.  When I go the the SAVE interface on startup and check on the status of the save I'm interested in reverting it shows "CORRUPT".  What does this mean (apart from the obvious) and is there anything I can do about it.

Edit 1:  I went back even further in the save history and two things seem to have occurred.  First, the save was no longer flagged as corrupt and, second, the save didn't appear to have the original problem.  I guess this answers my second question although I'd like to understand why.  That, I'm afraid, might never happen.

Edited by Brigadier
May have answered my own question.

So, I like the concept of this mod a lot, as my game is fairly unstable (never had a corrupted save, mind you, just a lot of crashes). However, I found myself running low on hard drive space and when I went to see was the culprit was...it was your mod. Or rather, the backup folder, which is 138.6gb and contains 70,567 items. Is this normal behavior? I highly doubt it, and maybe I have the save interval too high, but I thought there was a delete after x number of days feature which should clear out out saves, and I've manually cleared out past backups myself once or twice for dead games.

Looking over the settings below, and thinking about it now, my max number of backups is set to 200, which seems extremely high. Even still, looking at the save directory in KSP, the save game files don't seem to take up that much space, and 200 of them surely doesn't equal 138.6gb.

Anyway, I'm confused where these high numbers are coming from, but my settings do seem on the high side, so maybe that's it. I hate to say it, but I've had to uninstall the mod and delete all the backups, because I literally got a warning saying I only had 7mb of space left while writing this. Again, not saying any of this is your fault or normal behavior - I have a lot (a lot) of mods installed, so there could be some issues some where.

Linux, 64 bit

Cheers

Highlighted backup folder:

NHb5UOB.png

My Settings:

Pri3vl1.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2016 at 5:14 AM, Nereid said:

I will take a look into this soon. But at the moment FinalFrontier gets most of my attention.

Does this mean you don't intend to update this mod to 1.1? This mod is an absolute must have for me, I can't imagine not having it...

6 hours ago, KocLobster said:

Does this mean you don't intend to update this mod to 1.1? This mod is an absolute must have for me, I can't imagine not having it...

Just wait. Priorities are: FF, NG and then S.A.V.E

On 4/23/2016 at 11:23 PM, KocLobster said:

In the mean time, Squad built in a kind of backup system into the game, to help the testers. Open your save folder, there should be a Backup folder. You'll have to manually restore saves, but it works.

For anyone out there like me, that considers this mod one of those absolute must-have core mods, I suspect @Nereid may have a 1.1 update ready for us soon. He said that FF and NanoGauges comes first before this, but both of those now have working 1.1 versions, so it may not be long until this mod is too :)

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.