[1.10.0] S.A.V.E - automatic backup system - 1.10.0-3173

Nereid

Some questions about the configuration:

1. What does "Recurse Subfolders" mean?
  2. Any reasons why "Asynchronous backup/restore" should not be enabled?
  3. Does "Compress backups" cost a lot? Will it make the game lag? And if yes, will the Async option fix that?
  4. If I set it to backup once every <some time>, will it still also backup on each save and on exit? And if no, could it maybe be made possible to combine those two options with one of the interval options?

And a bug with v1.4.2-2791 (the latest in CKAN):

• When I click the Restore button (freshly installed KSP and freshly installed SAVE mod), the UI turns into a thin gray bar with no buttons and no nothing... And no way of getting the tab buttons back except restarting the game, as far as I can see... :huh:

On 16.6.2017 at 11:49 PM, Svish said:

Some questions about the configuration:

1. What does "Recurse Subfolders" mean?
  2. Any reasons why "Asynchronous backup/restore" should not be enabled?
  3. Does "Compress backups" cost a lot? Will it make the game lag? And if yes, will the Async option fix that?
  4. If I set it to backup once every <some time>, will it still also backup on each save and on exit? And if no, could it maybe be made possible to combine those two options with one of the interval options?

• When I click the Restore button (freshly installed KSP and freshly installed SAVE mod), the UI turns into a thin gray bar with no buttons and no nothing... And no way of getting the tab buttons back except restarting the game, as far as I can see... :huh:
  1. It will backup your ship-designs, too. Those are stored in subfolders of your savegame folder.
  2. Yes. It works on my system, but I got reports that it doesn't work for all.
  3. Compressed backups doesn't cost a lot. But it comes with a price: You cannot restore the backups without S.A.V.E that easy anymore.
  4. As far as I rememer. No. But I can add this as an option.

I will take a look what may cause this bug. Maybe something is different in 1.3...

On 20.6.2017 at 10:22 PM, Svish said:

Also, the Erase Backup-button doesn't seem to be doing anything?

Hmmm.... maybe the latest branch was a bit ahead of time. For FF and NG I copied all source back from the latest releases to preventg any unfinished development changes a few months ago. 

Minor bugs, therefore I will work on them next week. But thanks for reporting anyway...

Edited by Nereid

On 20.6.2017 at 10:22 PM, Svish said:

Also, the Erase Backup-button doesn't seem to be doing anything?

Fixed in 1.4.3-2822.

On 16.6.2017 at 11:49 PM, Svish said:

I have seen this myself once, but I cannot reproduce this.

EDIT: OK, this happens, when there arfe no backupsets (or games). I will fix this, too

Edited by Nereid

• 3 months later...

G'day Nereid,

Haven't actually tried this mod yet, but was keen to take a look at the source code. Turns out it's inside the release ZIP.
Any particular reason you don't keep the source on GitHub or similar?

Cheers,

- Micha.

On 22.10.2017 at 5:50 PM, micha said:

Haven't actually tried this mod yet, but was keen to take a look at the source code. Turns out it's inside the release ZIP.
Any particular reason you don't keep the source on GitHub or similar?

It's on Github: github.com/Nereid42/S.A.V.E

On 2.7.2017 at 5:24 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

The .version file still says it's for 1.2.2

It's a bug. Fixed in the current version.

Edited by Nereid

• 1 month later...

Great mod! I like the "on quit" backup option the most, but would it be possible to make it work together with the Quick Exit mod (https://spacedock.info/mod/105/QuickExit)? It usually takes a few minutes for me to make a compressed backup of my saves, so the best time for me to do it is when exiting the game and alt-tabbing back into other apps while the game does its backups. I would find it a better alternative to waiting for backups to complete at some point of playing, or alt-tabbing back to the game after some time so that I can really quit it.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@Nereid

I'm having a problem because this is copying all the directories in the save dir, unfortunatly, Kaptain's Log saves lots of image files there as well.

So I'm going to be modifying this for myself to add an exclusion list, which will be directories which should NOT be copied.  I'm also going to add an option to put the window at the top left instead of the top right (since the LoadingScreenManager has it's icon in the toolbar and that's where the toolbar puts the buttons).

I'd be happy to submit this as a PR, if  you are interested.

@Brigadier I'll let you know when I have this done so your problem can be fixed

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@Nereid

I'm having a problem because this is copying all the directories in the save dir, unfortunatly, Kaptain's Log saves lots of image files there as well.

So I'm going to be modifying this for myself to add an exclusion list, which will be directories which should NOT be copied.  I'm also going to add an option to put the window at the top left instead of the top right (since the LoadingScreenManager has it's icon in the toolbar and that's where the toolbar puts the buttons).

Much obliged, good sirs.

Here is my unofficial version of this with the following changes:

• Added ConfigNodeIO.cs to read data from new config file
  • Added setting to new config file to specify position of window
  • Added setting to new config file to list directories which should NOT be backed up
  • Added GameData structure with initial default Settings file
  • Merged in changes from latest download from Spacedock
  • Updated .version to point to LGG repo to avoid confusion

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/S.A.V.E/releases/tag/1.5.3.1-unofficial

Source code is in the same repo on Github (obviously)

This repo was cloned from @Nereid's github, then updated with my changes and the latest changes from the download on Spacedock

There is a new PluginData/Settings.cfg file, read it for information on how to configure the window position

The license is GPL (included with the download), although it probably should be the text for the LGPL as specified in the OP.  I merely included the same license as in the original mod, so whatever license applies to that one obviously applies to this.

Please do NOT bother @Nereid with any issues related to my changes, contact me instead.

If Nereid wishes to accept a PR and make this more official, I'd be very happy to take down this repo.

On 8/29/2018 at 4:40 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Here is my unofficial version of this with the following changes:

• Added ConfigNodeIO.cs to read data from new config file
  • Added setting to new config file to specify position of window
  • Added setting to new config file to list directories which should NOT be backed up
  • Added GameData structure with initial default Settings file
  • Merged in changes from latest download from Spacedock
  • Updated .version to point to LGG repo to avoid confusion

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/S.A.V.E/releases/tag/1.5.3.1-unofficial

Source code is in the same repo on Github (obviously)

This repo was cloned from @Nereid's github, then updated with my changes and the latest changes from the download on Spacedock

There is a new PluginData/Settings.cfg file, read it for information on how to configure the window position

The license is GPL (included with the download), although it probably should be the text for the LGPL as specified in the OP.  I merely included the same license as in the original mod, so whatever license applies to that one obviously applies to this.

Please do NOT bother @Nereid with any issues related to my changes, contact me instead.

If Nereid wishes to accept a PR and make this more official, I'd be very happy to take down this repo.

The procedure to install will be to remove my CKAN-installed SAVE then put the zip file GameData into game install GameData, correct?  If I do this, I figure I will lose settings when I uninstall the original SAVE but not the saves themselves.

7 hours ago, Brigadier said:

The procedure to install will be to remove my CKAN-installed SAVE then put the zip file GameData into game install GameData, correct?  If I do this, I figure I will lose settings when I uninstall the original SAVE but not the saves themselves.

You won't lose any settings, he stores the settings in the GameData directory, not in the SAVE directory

• 1 month later...
On 8/28/2018 at 3:42 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

@Nereid

I will take a look into this when I'm back from my vacation in November. There is no time currently.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When are the settings saved?

After going back to main menu and changing settings and loading the save, the S.A.V.E.dat was not changed.
I hope it does not only save the settings when literally quitting the game, that would be disgusting ...

The problem is, that I don't get the format of the settings file - it's kinda hex and so I just can't change it manually without knowing what to do.

18 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

I hope it does not only save the settings when literally quitting the game, that would be disgusting ...

That is the point, I just moved all mods but this to a temp folder to quickly launch KSP, change the settings and quit it.

NOW the settings are saved.

So quitting KSP is the only way to get the settings saved. Indeed.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.