[1.10.0] S.A.V.E - automatic backup system - 1.10.0-3173

Nereid

1 hour ago, Lisias said:

To tell you the true, I found this one pretty convenient - and since there's already an inactive option to activate it (instead of top, bottom, left or right), I would second including this code on the mainstream. You never know when a pesky add'on will popup a Warning over it. :blush:

Ok, I'll merge the code and submit a pr in the next day or so

1 hour ago, Lisias said:

To tell you the true, I found this one pretty convenient - and since there's already an inactive option to activate it (instead of top, bottom, left or right), I would second including this code on the mainstream. You never know when a pesky add'on will popup a Warning over it. :blush:

@Nereid

I just submitted a PR with the changes to support selecting the variable positioning into the config screen

• 2 months later...
On 10/3/2020 at 3:37 AM, Murdabenne said:

Is this a full release, with the above issues resolved?  Or is it a beta?  Or is it abandoned?  Hard to tell sometimes.

See this post:

20 hours ago, Lisias said:

See this post:

Thanks but that front page post is why I asked.  The date of release noted was edited last on July 6, and a several of the discussions between you guys were after that, specifically the discussions on async issues between July 9 through July 15, and possibly the later discussions on July 6.

So are the issues resolved?

19 minutes ago, Murdabenne said:

Thanks but that front page post is why I asked.  The date of release noted was edited last on July 6, and a several of the discussions between you guys were after that, specifically the discussions on async issues between July 9 through July 15, and possibly the later discussions on July 6.

So are the issues resolved?

Well, the front page says

On 12/30/2014 at 10:27 AM, Nereid said:

S.A.V.E

automatic backup system

current version: 1.10.0-3173

The page was edited on July 6, the date of the post I linked to you. Same version too. Not to mention SpaceDock.

So, yeah, the problems with the async backups are solved.

OK, just to be clear, even though the release is PRIOR to the latter discussions, the points raised and PR offered were incorporated? Or was the PR offered by LGG not needed?

Its not clear from the timing, because the discussion posts were AFTER the release post's date. Just trying to make sure I know what the instabilities I am introducing are. 

Edited by Murdabenne
clarification

12 hours ago, Murdabenne said:

OK, just to be clear, even though the release is PRIOR to the latter discussions, the points raised and PR offered were incorporated? Or was the PR offered by LGG not needed?

Its not clear from the timing, because the discussion posts were AFTER the release post's date. Just trying to make sure I know what the instabilities I am introducing are. 

You got it wrong. :)

The PR LGG applied after the release is about allowing the Window to be draggable.

The discussion was about one of the proposals being less than ideal, and also about (my) opinion about the initial proposal from Micha being... hummm... "more orthodox" than a spinlock, that ended up being used for simplicity. But this doesn't means than a spinlock would not safely solve the problem (or at least this problem) - I ended up implementing Micha's way just to compare with the spinlock solution, but RL stroke hard and I ended up not having time to make the benchmarks.

I think this was what confused you.

-- -- -- POST EDIT -- -- -- 

And since we are here, I need to advise I was wrong on where the problem is on that discussion.

Edited by Lisias
post edit

• 5 months later...
5 hours ago, TomfooleryYT said:

so, I'm not sure how this happened but my game, after downloading this mod, is no longer letting me quicksave or overwrite previous saves. I even uninstalled the mod and it hasn't fixed anything 

It's unlikely the S.A.V.E, I'm using it for a long time, mangled with it a lot, broke it in uncountable ways toying with the code - but never got this problem.

Unfortunately, your KSP.log ends abruptly on the middle of the loading process. The log you provided don't even reaches the Main Menu!

[LOG 01:34:58.290] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'SquadExpansion/MakingHistory/Parts/Coupling/EnginePlate_1p5/EnginePlate1p5'
[LOG 01:34:58.362] PartLoader: Part 'SquadExpansion/MakingHistory/Parts/Coupling/EnginePlate_1p5/EnginePlate1p5' has no database record. Creating.

So it can't be used for diagnosing.

In time, you are running 1.8.1. Besides not that common, it's possible the the current release could work on the latest KSP, but present some glitches on older ones.

By last, but not by least, you have a awful amount of Exceptions on your parts, as this one:

[LOG 01:29:40.505] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'B9_Aerospace/Parts/Aero_HL_Body/1m-Universal/B9_Aero_HL_Body_Structure_1m_U'
[ERR 01:29:40.508] PartLoader: Encountered exception during compilation. System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
  at System.Number.StringToNumber (System.String str, System.Globalization.NumberStyles options, System.Number+NumberBuffer& number, System.Globalization.Numbe
rFormatInfo info, System.Boolean parseDecimal) [0x00057] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0
  at System.Number.ParseInt32 (System.String s, System.Globalization.NumberStyles style, System.Globalization.NumberFormatInfo info) [0x00013] in <ad04dee02e7e
4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0
  at System.Int32.Parse (System.String s) [0x00007] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0
  at PartLoader.ParsePart (UrlDir+UrlConfig urlConfig, ConfigNode node) [0x001d9] in <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0
  at PartLoader+<CompileParts>d__56.MoveNext () [0x005cd] in <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0

Besides not common, such problems may cause borks on 3rd parties add'ons that don't know how to handle them. Perhaps S.A.V.E. could be one of these.

I suggest you to:

1. Duplicate your whole KSP installment, so we can mangle it without risking your savegames
  2. Remove B9_Aerospace
  3. Check if the problem persists.

You can also try to install an older version of S.A.V.E., install the 1.8.0-3165 release from SpaceDock and see what happens.

Remember, do it on the copy you made - so if anythings goes south (and sometimes they do), nothing is lost.

• 4 months later...

@Nereid

SAVE is broken on 1.12, it always does a CTD.

Logs are here:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/pfb9a33waqy35ic/S.A.V.E-CTD.zip?dl=0

Not sure, but the symptoms are very similar to what I found a number of versions ago, when some mods I supported that used threads (ie:  MiniAVC, KSP-AVC) which used threads broke the game.  I know that SAVE uses threading, not sure what's going on.  Very sad because this was a favorite mod for me to use.

On 7/30/2021 at 9:23 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

@Nereid

SAVE is broken on 1.12, it always does a CTD.

Logs are here:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/pfb9a33waqy35ic/S.A.V.E-CTD.zip?dl=0

Not sure, but the symptoms are very similar to what I found a number of versions ago, when some mods I supported that used threads (ie:  MiniAVC, KSP-AVC) which used threads broke the game.  I know that SAVE uses threading, not sure what's going on.  Very sad because this was a favorite mod for me to use.

For all, I have a working version of this mod for KSP 1.12.  I'm testing it for my use, and if I don't hear from @Nereid I'll do a full adoption of it

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.