(Possible) solution to rocket wobble

This is in the wrong forum I think :P

It is actually based on a technique I learned in Gmod. Rather than working as a tree, and being stored as such, each craft would link all parts directly to the root part. Each stage would have its own root part (so that seperating still works). This would greatly reduce craft wobble I believe, as it certainly works in Gmod (renowned for having flexible welds). Unfortunately all craft, both in orbit and in VAB/SPH would have to be rebuilt though, and I don't even know if this is possible in Unity :(

Edited by tetryds

Besides Kerbal joint reinforcement I have noticed that some of the larger rocket motors cause wobble due to over correction by things like SAS. I have even turned off gimbaling on motors and used veer governors instead.

Maybe I need to experiment with bigger rockets, but I've not noticed any considerable wobble after the structural integrity update. The problems I used to have (pretty bad ones like the infamous "engine crashing through its fuel tank" phenomenon) were fixed by KJR.

Wobble used to be bad.

A teensy little 2650-part ship almost always blew up on the launchpad, can you believe that?

I remember launching my largest orbital station, in one piece. used 2 stages of launch clamps, with 18 clamps each.

(first stage ignites core boosters to 38% thrust, and release their clamps. This is just enough to neutralize their weight, so when the whole stack stopped making like a jello tower, *then* i released the outer clamps and throttled up)

Ah, the good old days.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.