Minmus - Tundra Orbit

I just found out that this is a special orbit.

So I got a contract to do one and am as close to the displayed orbit as I can get. Deviation is really minimal.

See here:

screenshot22.png

But the contract does not complete....

Any suggestions?

EDIT: The blue one is another one... so ignore it. All other requirements are met. Just not the orbit itself.

Edited by Tokay Gris

Are you going in the right direction? I can't tell from that image but, if you look at those dots, they should be going away from you, not towards you. You could also just look at the AN/DN. They should be 0, not 180.

I checked three times, because I made that mistake before. Direction is correct and the AN/DN are the same.

All other requirements are met. Except "Reach the designated tundra orbit with minimal deviation".

Do you still need to turn off SAS for the contract to trigger? Or was that requirement removed when the FinePrint stuff went stock?

That was removed. I've completed several of these contracts while I've still had SAS, controls pressed and the engine running at the time it triggered.

Tundra, Kolniya (Molniya), and any highly eccentric orbit can be difficult. The problem is that even though it looks pixel-perfect, the deviation at the apoapsis can easily fall outside the accepted range because your view is focused near the body. Additionally, the Oberth effect works against you; burning prograde/retrograde at a low periapsis is so darned efficient that it is very hard to match a high apoapsis precisely enough.

Try creating two maneuver nodes, one mid-course, and one at the apoapsis. Then hit Backspace to focus on your vessel, then Tab twice to focus on your second maneuver node. Zoom close enough and you should now be able to clearly see your deviation. Carefully adjust your first maneuver node (using Precise Node will help avoid tedious view switching between your nodes) so that your apoapsis is at the correct spot (try to match the first three decimal places, and make sure it looks right from all directions). Execute it, then match your orbit with another maneuver node at your new apoapsis.

Edited by Spheniscine

Make good use of maneuvering thrusters as well. When a small touch is needed, a low mass low thrust are key. That's why I use ion engines and monopropellant thrusters exclusively for my temperature satellites. I just did this mission earlier today and still had enough xenon left over to bring my orbit to 10km ap / 10 km periap on a perfectly polar orbit so I can use it for temperature contracts indefinitely.

Try using this, launched from a mk 2 cargo bay with a docking clamp to get it into orbit. Undock in in orbit, fly by ions to destination and probe forever.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/94022667/Public%20site%20hosting/ksp/Temperature%20Probe.craft

Seems that's the whole launch vehicle and probe, but I think you'll appreciate it, all stock.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

Side note: if you don't have PreciseNode, and want to use that double-node method, once you've set up the two, open the first maneuver node THEN tab to view the second and swivel your camera to be able to see (and adjust) the first.

Finally did it. The Thrustlimiter did the trick.

While orbits around Kerbin (in my experience) need usually only be "roughly accurate" to complete the contract, this orbit around Minmus was off by only 200 metres. I changed the periapsis an then did it.

So, not a basic problem or bug. The orbit just was not exact enough.

Thanks, guys!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.