[BUG] Memory Leak Flying Near Ground

- So, I did a visual survey of a area and all left is doing a EVA. Usually my planes "land" using parachutes, the Kerbal jumps out and it reches maximum memory allocation and crashes. If I reload, the whole area, which was a plain field before, is full of trees

When I did my test I was under the impression that the scatter objects where sometime left on a nearby patch of terrain and not moved where I was standing. I don't think it is related to a leak but more likly a problem with the logic that move the scatter near the player.

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if this is the reason why biome hopping around the mun only takes a couple launches and landings (I generally do a low orbit of 20km) for it to start doing this in the screenshot below and then crash due to OOM when I go to spacecenter?

screenshot15_zpsjlq97q4m.png

• 4 weeks later...
This bug seems to have been fixed for the 1.0 update according to the latest devnote :)

Reproducible in 1.0, but there's a difference - you no longer have to fly near the ground. I flied at 5-10km. Two flights, two crashes.

i think it's not linked to F10 heating gauges because i experienced this bug in KSP 0.90 and 1.0.0.830,

the heating gauge is new since KSP 1.1.

Now i'm waiting the gauge problem is solved to confirm this problem,

and play with this mod to forecast the memory crash: Sentinel Memory Monitoring Utility

Edited by Skalou

Memory use will climb as you fly around as the terrain is loaded and stored, but it will peak and remain stead (or it would if not for the heat gauge bug), this is normal and that ground data has to go somewhere :)

Though if you are short of RAM, you can reach a point where the terrain tries to allocate space that isn't there, causing a crash.

ok, but it was a fresh stock install of KSP v1.0.0.830, no mod. i was at the beginning of a carrer mode flying a 30 parts jet at about 10 000m during 10 min to reach a survey point.

for the Ram i don't kown, i have 8GB (1 on grafic card), only KSP, steam and firefox with maybe 10 pages running, maybe 1 or 2 windows folder openned also. i allow v-ram.

i have understand ksp is 32 bits and so is limited to use 3.5 GB of ram, and it shouldn't limit?

here you can find the crash folder and the dxdiag,if it helps: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mho39okq73fu17i/AACVjA9XD-oXcQppgpFpFOr6a?dl=0

Edit:

there was also a setting with terrain scattering at 50 %, since this crash i disabled it.

Edited by Skalou

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.