KSP Pet Peeves

waterlubber

Simple: Post your peeves about KSP here.

I hate the new VAB icons, specifically how they split fuel tanks and engines, and also how they're on the right side of the screen...right where Ubuntu's taskbar is. It pops up and covers them whenever I try to click on them. And subassemblies were moved to the advanced tab, and also how the OKTO2 was stripped of the SAS.

OCTO2 has very advanced SAS. SAS != reaction wheels.

I like the new reaction wheel-less probes. They give more variety instead of 'octo2 everything'. That being said, the progression could still use some work (why is the OCTO2 heavier and require more energy than the QUBE? It's not like the additional SAS features are useful).

I also like the split of fuel tanks and the engines...the propulsion tab was getting very overcrowded.

Here's my peeves:

- I dislike the change to subassembly location as well.

- I'd rather have the engines above the fuel tanks, based on classical ordering in older versions. The icons for those are terrible too.

- The gating for action groups is obnoxious. What's next, mouse input has to be purchased?

- THERE IS STILL ALMOST NOTHING IN THE COMMAND AND CONTROL TAB. Put decouplers there, dammit!

- Gilly's low science zone is kinda low, and it's warp zones need reworking. Nothing more boring than cruising at 4x physwarp for hours on end..

- I dislike how Squad managed to cause confusion between what SAS and reaction wheel/CMG torque is. Now that confusion is coming home to roost!

Pretty much the only pet peeve I have is having to run 100 mods cause this game is so awesome and with all the great mods out there makes this game epic but crashing like crazy before the game loads up because of having so many mods not so much fun.

My game will run fine one day with all my mods then the next day it won't even start. I have to remove all mods then fire up the game make sure it works then shut it down and put all mods back in to get the game working again.

Yes all my mods are updated I think it may be a problem with how the module manger loads them not sure. I know it would be awesome if some of these mods such as Planet Shine, E.V.E, Texture Replacer and other essential mods got implemented into the game to cut down on the amount of mods needed to be loaded at game start up. Not sure how that would work but guessing game devs would have to ask the mod designer or vice-versa.

Building upgrade prices are much too high, especially in Hard mode, reducing much of Career to a boring grind. Fortunately this can be somewhat fixed with an unintuitive reduction of funds penalties. And hopefully SQUAD will be addressing the problem with adjustments and a proper logical slider for building upgrade costs.

Trying to get this awesome game to run with all the amazing mods out there without crashing at start up. Really wish mods like E.V.E, Planet Shine, Texture Replacer and other essential mods got streamlined into the game cutting back the amount of mods loading up at the start. Not sure exactly how that work between devs and modders but it would be awesome.

If you tell your pilot or probe core of a heavy ship to hold onto a vector, it doesn't cancel out all of the rotation in time and flies right past the vector...

To add to this, the 'hold heading' SAS button works as well as ever, but the various 'pointing' vectors bring back my memories of pre-0.21 (at least I think it was that version) SAS, when it would wobble and not hold steadily on the vector. Surely they can just copy the code over from the standard SAS?

If you install NoMoreGrind by nlight, then Career mode becomes a bit more fun. It makes all the buildings 10 times less expensive than they were before. I thought that was a bit too cheap, so edited the config to make it 12 times less.

The experience system.

Total miss.

If a Kerbal makes it to mun, then the he keeps the knowledge to himself forever??? No updates to a training regime which lets the program pass the experience on to new Kerbals?

Our KSP dev team is really great and I appreciate all the great updates in .90 but on the experience bit they totally missed the mark. Sorry boys. Do over.

If you install NoMoreGrind by nlight, then Career mode becomes a bit more fun. It makes all the buildings 10 times less expensive than they were before. I thought that was a bit too cheap, so edited the config to make it 12 times less.

Wouldn't that make them even cheaper?

I hate the new VAB icons...how they're on the right side of the screen...right where Ubuntu's taskbar is. It pops up and covers them whenever I try to click on them.
Well, fix Ubuntu so it doesn't do that :P

As for myself, .90 peeves:

* Difficulty filtering or sorting parts by mod. The old listings sorted by GameData subfolder, which was effectively a sort by mod. The new listings lack that option anywhere. Manufacturer is unreliable - many used by mod parts don't show up at all, some mods use more than one manufacturer on their parts, and others use the stock manufacturers.

* Problems placing thin parts. They can easily connect on the wrong node and clip into the part above, which as an added bonus causes FAR to produce too little drag. DRE's heatshields are some of the biggest problem parts for this.

Long-standing peeves:

* Problems placing manoeuvre nodes on escape trajectories. This shouldn't be hard to fix, seriously.

* Orbit jitter. Ugh. Unfortunately I don't see this one going away any time soon.

* The 48-7S being overpowered. TWR higher than anything else apart from the giant NASA engines is silly, and the lower Isp doesn't compensate for it. It's needed a good whack with the nerf bat for ages, but then career came along and it's left as also the cheapest engine there is after the fricking sepratron. Oh, and it's not like it's buried at the top of the tech tree either, you can get it without even upgrading the R&D complex. /rantrantrant

* Lag.

For me the Tracking Station UI could be improved a little...

On a few occasions I have terminated the wrong flights. I know primarily this is my fault for being clumsy or tired after a long flight to the Mun, but a few minor tweaks would reduce the risk...

1. Re order the Recover, Terminate and Fly buttons so that Recover is in the middle and Terminate and Fly are at each end, and increase their spacing a little.

2. Highlight the selected flight a little more clearly by giving it a brighter colour or a border on the list.

3. The 'Are you sure...' pop up window could show the flight name, and perhaps list the crew too, to give a clear 'final check' .

* Problems placing thin parts. They can easily connect on the wrong node and clip into the part above, which as an added bonus causes FAR to produce too little drag. DRE's heatshields are some of the biggest problem parts for this.

Shouldn't that be a long standing peeve? ;)

* Problems placing manoeuvre nodes on escape trajectories. This shouldn't be hard to fix, seriously.

* The 48-7S being overpowered. TWR higher than anything else apart from the giant NASA engines is silly, and the lower Isp doesn't compensate for it. It's needed a good whack with the nerf bat for ages, but then career came along and it's left as also the cheapest engine there is after the fricking sepratron. Oh, and it's not like it's buried at the top of the tech tree either, you can get it without even upgrading the R&D complex. /rantrantrant

Add these to my list too. Also the 24-77 needs an Isp buff (to be similar to the 48-7S) and a slight thrust nerf (it's also way up there in the TWR charts, just not as bad as the 48) .. thankfully they addressed the Mk55 issues already so it doesn't belong on my peeve list anymore.

If you land in the southern hemisphere, but less than 1° south of the equator, on any world in KSP, the map screen will lie to you and tell you that your landing point was in the Northern Hemisphere.

On the Mun, this means that the point the Map Screen is telling you your spacecraft is can be as much as 7.2 kilometers north of where it actually is, and the error scales linearly with world radius. On Kerbin, the error can be about 21.6km.

Incidentally, all of KSC is in the southern hemisphere of Kerbin, but less than 1° South of the equator.

How you tell your guy to hold, say, retrograde. He does so for you for a while and you hit "T" to turn off SAS for a while. You move the ship around, get it all situated, and hit T again to lock your heading.

...and your Kerbal dutifully starts aiming retrograde again.

How you tell your guy to hold, say, retrograde. He does so for you for a while and you hit "T" to turn off SAS for a while. You move the ship around, get it all situated, and hit T again to lock your heading.

...and your Kerbal dutifully starts aiming retrograde again.

Yeah, like if the direction buttons were on the way of anything to not be always there, and the gizmos buttons which do not graphically fit the rest of the UI and are floating there.

I don't have many KSP Pet peeves, though.

It's still an epic game.

Edited by tetryds

My pet peeves:

-Removing access to Action Groups. These are a shortcut for the user interface, not some sort of special ability. If I want to set up three things to happen at the same time, I should be able to do it. Having to scroll around and click "Deploy Panel" on a bunch of different panels at one time is a pain that should not exist. Dropping parts of a vehicle in a balanced manner can also be very important.

-Piloting. The way it's done is odd. A pilot's skill should determine the ability to hold a ship steady on the marker, and not oversteer and waste all the power of RCS fuel. The way it is, a pilot seems to be oddly unable to find an arbitrary point on the nav ball until he reaches a certain level.

-The science clickfest. It needs something more than just a "go here, click that, click this, you have new parts" mechanic. There's a handful of mods I'm watching that might help with that feeling.

-The tech tree seems to be oddly ordered.

-The tendency of the game to move further towards "LOLsplosion simulator", instead of feeling like a space program.

-The Kerbal Classes being implemented in a way that we don't have real access to.

Edited by razark

My only one is how there are NO MK3 INTERNALS!! I was excited about the new internals, but there are none yet.

And the MK1 Inline Cockpit, and the Mobile Processing Lab, and the MK2 and MK3 crew cabins...

Edited by Rthsom

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.