KSP Pet Peeves

waterlubber

@Derfel:It sounds like you're saying that SQUAD (the developers of KSP) is affiliated with EA. AFAIK, they have nothing to do with each other.
"EA" can also mean Early Access. Not the first time that abbreviation clash has caused confusion.

EA means Early Access, which KSP "was" before this Beta release.

You can disable automatic updating on Steam, but there's no way to disable the game from updating when you play it apart from going offline, however this is more of an issue with Steam rather than Squad.

As for bugs, what's the point in reporting them when Squad simply doesn't care? People are still stupidly buying this game on Steam which is putting money in Squad's pocket without them doing anything. Bugs that have been around since 0.13 are still there, each update brings more bugs and nothing is ever really fixed. There haven't been any new features for over 8 months regardless of the fact that we've had multiple updates, any features that are implemented are just stolen from already existing mods.

I play in windowed mode so misclicking it is sometimes a pain.

Also for some unknown reason my game tends to run slower and become laggier every time I run it. That could be fixed, I guess. Dont know how, though.

- - - Updated - - -

As for bugs, what's the point in reporting them when Squad simply doesn't care? People are still stupidly buying this game on Steam which is putting money in Squad's pocket without them doing anything. Bugs that have been around since 0.13 are still there, each update brings more bugs and nothing is ever really fixed. There haven't been any new features for over 8 months regardless of the fact that we've had multiple updates, any features that are implemented are just stolen from already existing mods.

You need to remember theres like 20 guys working on the base game and 100+ people in the modding section that simply make stuff that were going to be implemented in the stock game anyway, and since something works fine and people like it theres no point against "stealing" them from modders. I would call that a "boosted, driven by community developement".

Edited by Veeltch

You need to remember theres like 20 guys working on the base game and 100+ people in the modding section that simply make stuff that were going to be implemented in the stock game anyway, and since something works fine and people like it theres no point against "stealing" them from modders. I would call that a "boosted, driven by community developement".

You're condoning theft then? There aren't 100+ people working on one mod, there's usually 1-5 people working on a single mod. Squad have actively stolen mods and passed them of as stock parts. C7 Aerospace, Mechjeb, FinePrint, SpacePlane Plus, multiple B9 pieces.

I'm pretty sure if someone stole Squad parts and implemented them into another game or passed them off as their own, Squad wouldn't be too happy.

You're condoning theft then? There aren't 100+ people working on one mod, there's usually 1-5 people working on a single mod. Squad have actively stolen mods and passed them of as stock parts. C7 Aerospace, Mechjeb, FinePrint, SpacePlane Plus, multiple B9 pieces.

I'm pretty sure if someone stole Squad parts and implemented them into another game or passed them off as their own, Squad wouldn't be too happy.

Huh. With such a butthurt/post ratio on your forum page, I cant take you seriously anymore. Seems like the conversation between the two of us is over.

Also an edit about that stealing thing, so other people dont get me wrong: Im pretty sure SQUAD and modders both agree on implementing mods into the stock game, and both have some sort of profits. At least thats what I want to believe so. Havent seen a single modder whom mod became the part of the game to be complaining. Unless Im missing something...

Edited by Veeltch

One more:

The Navball doesn't give relative velocity when your target is a Celestial body.

This makes rendezvousing with small-SOI worlds and quick jaunts out of the Kerbin SOI more difficult than they need to be.

I suppose some related peeves.

The UI only shows closest-approaches on the maneuver node orbit, once you've plotted one. Once you've started burning, knowing where the close-approach on your actual trajectory eventually becomes a lot more important. It's the primary reason I use the Protractor mod, because it not only shows my close approach on my actual trajectory, but will do so at any time, unlike KSP, which requires your plotted trajectory to be /very close/ to the target orbit before it will show you close approaches.

Similarly, I'd like to see close-approaches when my trajectory's still hyperbolic. Sometimes, I just want to go to the moon of the world I'm headed for, and brake over that moon. But without close-approaches on hyperbolic trajectories, you're forced to basically scrape the orbit until an SOI interception appears.

C7 Aerospace, Mechjeb, FinePrint, SpacePlane Plus, multiple B9 pieces.

For most of those, (I'm not sure about C7, it was before my time I believe or at least before I paid attention) the modders were not just paid for the work they were actually paid TO IMPLEMENT THEM INTO THE GAME. I'm not sure how that's stealing.

In the case of MechJeb, I don't believe that one single line of MechJeb code has been implemented into the main game. At the very least, there is no evidence it has.

For most of those, (I'm not sure about C7, it was before my time I believe or at least before I paid attention) the modders were not just paid for the work they were actually paid TO IMPLEMENT THEM INTO THE GAME. I'm not sure how that's stealing.

Chad Jenkins, known as C7studios back in the old days, is now a former KSP Dev working on Universe Sandbox 2 instead. He was the first to create plane parts and because of his mod Harvester decided to put a runway in the game, before the parts got even added into stock. Hes basically the reason we have planes in the game, and Im very thankful for that.

Edited by Veeltch

Aye, there's no "theft" going on at all. If Squad want a modder's contributions to be added to the game, they discuss it directly with the modder and make sure everyone who has a stake is happy with the arrangement. At no point has Squad claimed sole credit for the parts -- some parts still bear the C7 Aerospace 'manufacturer' designation, in recognition of Chad's significant contribution in that area. Heck, most of the modders that have their contributions added to the game get hired on either temporarily or indefinitely as official KSP developers.

You can disable automatic updating on Steam, but there's no way to disable the game from updating when you play it apart from going offline, however this is more of an issue with Steam rather than Squad.

Just an FYI, Kerbal Space Program has absolutely no DRM whatsoever. This means that you can rip it straight out of your Steamapps location, put a copy somewhere else on your hard drive, create a desktop/start menu/whatever shortcut to it, and run it without Steam ever being involved. That should stop any silly auto-update shenanigans.

Huh. With such a butthurt/post ratio on your forum page, I cant take you seriously anymore. Seems like the conversation between the two of us is over.

Also an edit about that stealing thing, so other people dont get me wrong: Im pretty sure SQUAD and modders both agree on implementing mods into the stock game, and both have some sort of profits. At least thats what I want to believe so. Havent seen a single modder whom mod became the part of the game to be complaining. Unless Im missing something...

Huh. With such a brown-nose/post ration on your forum page, I can't take you seriously anymore. Seems like the conversation between the two of us is over, but you're still going to reply for some reason. Odd...

C9 was implemented in the game first before they offered anything to the creator, it wasn't until he complained that he was given anything in return for his work. As for why modders don't complain when there work is stolen, do you go to any other KSP forum apart from this one? All they do is complain about there work being stolen, any dissent ehre is quietly crushed by the Squad Worship Brigade who ban people and delete ANY post that disagrees with the opus moderandi here, what's more they do it for free.

Why aren't Squad developing their own content rather than taking mods and implementing them so they can sell the game more? Because Squad no longer cares about this game, they've made some money and they're quite happy selling a broken and unfinished game as long as lemmings such as yourself and willing to spread open the cheeks and dive right in and defend their every action.

C9 was implemented in the game first before they offered anything to the creator, it wasn't until he complained that he was given anything in return for his work.

I would appreciate a link to proof of this.

As for why modders don't complain when there work is stolen, do you go to any other KSP forum apart from this one? All they do is complain about there work being stolen.

Again, I would appreciate links to these complaints. In particular, I'd appreciate links to complaints from the developers of C7 Aerospace, Mechjeb, FinePrint, SpacePlane Plus, and B9; the mods you stated above as having been stolen.

To bring this back to the thread topic, unsubstantiated grandiose claims are a huge pet peeve of mine.

Huh. With such a brown-nose/post ration on your forum page, I can't take you seriously anymore.

And that right there is exactly why you just got smacked for that post. Criticism and outright insults are two very different things.

We also don't ban people for disagreeing. The only "people" I've banned are spambots, and one instance of someone with a very profane username who was invited to re-apply with a less profane username.

As for your claims about stolen work, I would suggest "post proof or retract". 4chan is not proof. If Squad were ripping off modders left right and centre, I imagine that various videogame and other tech publications would love to go all tabloid-frenzy on that. The word would also spread, and our quite burgeoning and lively modder community would vanish like morning mist. Surprisingly, neither thing has happened.

Read the forum rules. They are there for a reason and you are breaking them. I will leave this thread open just in case you have any actual proof, but you are strongly recommended to lay off the insults and unfounded accusations.

And that right there is exactly why you just got smacked for that post. Criticism and outright insults are two very different things.

We also don't ban people for disagreeing. The only "people" I've banned are spambots, and one instance of someone with a very profane username who was invited to re-apply with a less profane username.

As for your claims about stolen work, I would suggest "post proof or retract". 4chan is not proof. If Squad were ripping off modders left right and centre, I imagine that various videogame and other tech publications would love to go all tabloid-frenzy on that. The word would also spread, and our quite burgeoning and lively modder community would vanish like morning mist. Surprisingly, neither thing has happened.

Read the forum rules. They are there for a reason and you are breaking them. I will leave this thread open just in case you have any actual proof, but you are strongly recommended to lay off the insults and unfounded accusations.

Copied it word for word apart from the butthurt thing. If you want to wave you "special internet powers" around than by all mean do so, but don't throw a tantrum because I disagree with your oh so special Squad. I take someone calling me butthurt very personal and consider it a grave attack on my person, I hope you act accordingly and follow the community rules. KSP isn't a big enough game to get notice by video game media for stealing other people's work. No other main stream company would release a game for this long and not fix ANY major bugs that have been reported, kind of the reason Squad tries to hide the bug list and king of the reason why the bug list seems to grow daily without ever getting fixed.Just over 700 bugs report, yet only 20 have been fixed. Major bugs that were reported 2 years ago seem to be ignored.

I also posted proof in my last post, but for some reason you deemed fit to delete it. Any reason for that? Or do Squad tell you to delete anything that harms their reputation on this forum? Wouldn't want billies knowing that Squad actively steal mods to pass off as new features, don't care about fixing updates and are only interested in making more money off a broken game.

http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/290

http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/projects/ksp/issues?set_filter=1&tracker_id=1

Got a new pet peeve after playing some last night: Kerbals not holding onto the ladder when you EVA them. It was pretty annoying having to thrust back to the capsule after each EVA report.

I've been noticing that a lot lately myself as well. And now that SAS automatically disengages, if you hit the ship accidentally.... Things get fun. lol.

Pet peeve of mine are trolls who claim their posts were deleted or edited to try to cause controversy, who make claims with no proof then crap themselves when they are called out to provide the proof they don't have, and then act all insulted, but then this is the internet ;)

It's funny watching them make a fool of themselves though :D

Oh right, this was about pet peeves in KSP, sorry, I know this is a small thing but having to raise the navball every time I first go to the map is a real pain in the butt, it'd be nice if it toggled on and stayed up :)

The fact that all capsules are not rotated in the proper way for a launch into equatorial orbit. No one likes g-forces coming from the side.

If you're getting excessive sideways G-forces, you're probably weren't going to space anyway.

But I guess I've never thought of it like that. They are flying sideways into space. I don't think you'd notice it as an astronaut though. I mean, the space shuttle is upside down on the way up.

My KSP pet peeve is the missions where you have to rescue some guy from orbit. How did he get there? Those missions make no sense. He'd die before I had time to build a rocket to save him, let alone launch it.

This is the internet. If modders were having their work stolen, they would quickly get the word out and Squad would lose reputation faster than a space program cancelling contracts. An extraordinary claim such as that requires very strong evidence.

I kinda feel guilty for feeding the troll there. Sorry guys :L

One more: the hatch on Mk1-2 pod not being symmetrical. I know its based on the apollo capsule, but still me no like that one. It kinda messes up the chute placement and my designs, sometimes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.