KSP Music player

RainDreamer

After checking this thread, I found a lot of good music that would go very well with KSP and enhance playing experience, however, there is no easy way to enjoy them in gameplay without alt tabbing and play them, which takes away some of the effect. I know there is Soundtrack Editor, but that haven't been updated in a while, and what it does just seems to be adding more track to the game, not what I had in mind.

My idea is two fold:

1. A true music player in game - Pause/Play, fastforward/backward, load up playlists, allow players to create playlist (doesn't have to be in game and require UI for this), etc. This alone, if possible, is amazing enough already, but it could be even more amazing.

2. Contextual dynamic music - Allow players to choose which track to automatically play based on situations, such as inflight, in orbit, landing, on EVA, reentry, etc, and biomes. Players can just click "Epic sound track" mode and it will play music based on conditions that has been predefined by the players themselves. Fade-in/out effect for transition is good enough. Failing this,

2b. A set of hot keys linking to specific track for user defined situation. Hitting that "atmospheric entry" key as your craft slowly descend for epic feels! Can even try to link it with action group so that your Panic"Abort" button will play fitting (or not) music to your situation!

Imagine

playing as you launch. Imagine
playing as you fly by the planets in your travel. Imagine
as you making an epic atmospheric entry. I would love this to happen.

It is possible but there isn't much interest.

I started programming a music player which uses the game's music system. I thought about adding some more triggers (SOI, altitude, speed, fuel/electricity levels, etc.) until I realized you'll have to come up with a complete new system and disable the current one. I messed around a bit and did some thread programming, tried some community APIs and cried because of the practically nonexisting KSP API documentation.

That's when I stopped the development.

Yeah, just that.

And, if possible, like my 2b idea, a set of maybe 10 hot buttons (not keys, just set of labelable buttons on GUI) with each linked to a specific track, so that you can activate them on command, so you trigger things yourself as you feel appropriate. And taking it further, this function can also be linked with a part in-game, so it can hook up with action groups, and switch tracks based on the group you activate.

So switching to rocket mode on your space plane may feel a little more epic, maybe.

But I would be totally fine with a simple music player that can play my own music without having to alt-tabbing out.

I think using a MPD controller system might work better. While the MPD protocol is limited, it's widespread. It allows selecting between preentered playlists, pausing, playing, skipping and starting songs. Theoretically this should be enough to allow any Jukebox music player software that supports MPD to work well.

Additionally, MPD allows multiple programs and network devices to control the music player client, and allows for remote music players if that is what you want.

Won't soundtrack editor eventually also include in-ame control over what music is playing, as well as being able to set certain music for more specific contexts (e.g. a playlist for Duna, or a song that plays when you've landed on Vall)? Its creator is still active and did say to expect these things.

Won't soundtrack editor eventually also include in-ame control over what music is playing, as well as being able to set certain music for more specific contexts (e.g. a playlist for Duna, or a song that plays when you've landed on Vall)? Its creator is still active and did say to expect these things.

Well. I did linked it in OP. Didn't know in-game control is in the plan though. Will look at it when it does that. For now, just adding music in is kind of lacking for me, as it lack control. And it doesn't seem to be updated to 0.90.

Here's what I did then: http://www.filedropper.com/akustik

(Akustik means acoustic in German.)

I used the music from here and here. There's no license for them so I didn't put it into the zip.

Get the music from over there, convert it to OGG and rename it so that the file name and the names in the config file are the same (file name with .ogg, name in the cfg without .ogg). Finally put it into the GameData\Akustik\Music directory and don't forget to change the cfg if needed.

The plugin is still very simple and far from finished. There are bugs, a debug window which you can't close, no control buttons etc. Don't download it when you don't intend to develop it further.

Edited by *Aqua*
changed file hoster

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.