How Important is Kerbal Safety to You?

TheHockeyPlayer

To what extent do you go to in order to keep your Kerbals safe?  

344 members have voted

1. 1. To what extent do you go to in order to keep your Kerbals safe?

• I go out of my way to ensure my Kerbals don't die. If one of them does die, I'm heartbroken
    • I'll add a few parachutes here and there, but if one dies, it's not the end of the world.
    • I don't go to any extent to keep them from dying because they're a dime a dozen!

Kerbals are too valuable not to risk. That sounds counterintuitive, but EVA reports! Ergo I tend to take some precautionary measures. Kerbal Experience being implemented in the (warning: brazen opinion incoming) p--- poor role-locked implementation it is actually does make some kerbals very valuable so I tend to take a bit more precautions than I used to, but I'm not going to spend an hour designing a safety system that I almost never need to use (my lifters are pretty proven).

I'm probably not nearly careful enough with my Kerbals, honestly. So confident am I in the safety potential for my various craft that I don't even bother with abort systems on them. Granted, I think the last time I had a rocket actually suffer explosive and spontaneous unplanned disassembly on the way to orbit was some time around 0.18, but still. My Kerbals must think their engineers are insane.

Testing mission abort systems, doing unmanned test runs, designing my missions with multiple configurations so that things can be changed en-route... Yeah, I'll take the first option.

Seriously though, I haven't landed Kerbals anywhere other than Duna, Mun, and Minmus because of that, I think I should just let go and stop giving damns about this stuff. After playing 6.4x Kerbin for a while I kinda burned out. The sheer ammount of planning I was putting into stuff was way too much for me to handle, I think it's time for a mission to Jool on a freaking chair.

I keep my boys alive if at all possible, to the point of having an orbital rescue craft that doubles as an escape pod on my space station. That said, I don't believe that the crazy-brave astronauts in my space program would be satisfied with a probe-based effort; they're there to explore, damnit, not to sit around and let robots do their job for them.:cool:

I do USE probes, just mostly as precursors to manned missions or for repeated contract fulfillment.

I mean well by installing Launch Escape Systems on my rockets, but spaceplanes tend to murder my kerbals by the dozen.

"Okay, we're going to start tests on the new SSTO prototype. We need 18 brave kerbals to report to the spaceplane hangar immediately."

Only a soulless monster could let their Kerbals die. But I play with no saving/loading and I rarely include a better escape plan than "stage off everything that can be staged off and deploy the parachutes" so sometimes accidents happen (especially with spaceplanes)... plus the stranded Kerbals I've lost when they've run out of life support before I could get a rescue ship to them... i cri ever tiem

I like all my kerbals to stay alive, but outside of that, their actual safety isn't so important. One time I had to get 12 kerbals off the surface of Gilly. I could have easily gone EVA to get them to the mothership, but who has time for that? I stuck em all in command seats around the outside of an ion craft. Hang on tight guys, you're in for a looong ride!

In Career mode, I try my hardest to keep my Kerbals safe. In Sandbox, I still express a moderate level of consideration. But if I'm just testing stuff (strapping a bunch of SRBs to a command pod to see how high it goes :D) I don't bother to put a parachute.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.