[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]

LVsmNMH.png

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

CactEye is a plugin and set of parts that allow for modular orbital telescopes. CactEye telescopes feature a fully-functional science system, and are upgradeable/serviceable (primarily through Kerbal Attachment System). Orbital telescopes also now become fundamental to discovering asteroids.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

CactEye 2 is available as a BETA release. As of right now, the Wide Field cameras and the Asteroid cameras are available and should be fully functional. The Occultation experiments are not yet available, but will be in a future release.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR][TD]

Downloads:

[/TD][/TR]

[TR][TD]

Kerbal Stuff: [Moderator removed defunct website link]

[/TD][/TR]

[TR][TD]

Curse: http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/226554-cacteye-2-orbital-telescope

[/TD][/TR]

[TR][TD]

Github: https://github.com/Raven45/CactEye-2/releases

[/TD][/TR]

[TR][TD]

The Source Code:

[/TD][/TR]

[TR][TD]

Github: Current Source Code

[/TD][/TR]

[TR][TD]

The License:

[/TD][/TR]

[TR][TD]

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

This work, "CactEye 2," is a derivative of "CactEye Orbital Telescope" by Rubber-Ducky, used under CC BY 4.0. "CactEye 2" is licensed under CC BY 4.0 by Raven.

Icons made by Freepik from http://www.flaticon.com is licensed by http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/ CC BY 3.0

[/TD][/TR]

[TR][TD]

Screenshots:

[/TD][/TR]

[TR][TD]

[/TD][/TR]

[TR][TD]

Changelog:

[/TD][/TR]

[TR][TD]

CactEye 2 BETA 5.2
-Fixed attachment node issues on some of the structural parts.
-Added an example of the large telescope per a request on the forums.

CactEye 2 BETA 5.1
-Compatibility update for KSP 1.0
-Compatibility update for Distant Object Enhancement 1.5.4
-Added support for Outer Planets Mod, thanks to ImAHungryMan!
-Removed the CactEye agency, for now. This was to prevent KSP from breaking if CactEye is removed. 
This could break existing save games, you have been warned. The agency will be added back in a future
update as other modders and I figure out a better way to manage custom agencies without ruining 
people's save games.

CactEye 2 BETA 5
-Fixed an issue where the telescope would throw an incorrect "out of power" message when the telescope was 
equipped with both an asteroid and a wide field processor. 
-Fixed an issue where the probe core did not have a SAS module, again...
-Fixed an issue where the processors do not consume power. 
-Added Remote Tech support to the probe core.
-Added KSP-AVC support.

CactEye 2 BETA 4
-Fixed an issue where the science dialog would not reset after running an experiment with a CactEye processor;
the symptom of this was a CactEye screenshot showing in a science dialog after running an unrelated experiment.

CactEye 2 BETA 3
-Fixed an issue where running a science experiment with either the "Wide Field Camera 1" or
"Wide Field Camera 2" would produce a "NullReferenceException."
-Fixed an issue where attempting to switch to another processor would grey the GUI out with the error
message that the telescope was out of power, even with full batteries. 
-Fixed a "ArgumentOutOfRange" exception that would be thrown while switching to another processor.
-Fixed an issue with both the Wide Field Camera processors and the Asteroid Camera processors where an 
incorrect amount of science points would be awarded. 

CactEye 2 BETA 2
-Completely rewritten code base for CactEye. 
-Completely redesigned GUI for the Telescope controls. 
-Asteroid telescopes should no longer be restricted to Kerbin orbit.
-Occulation experiments are not yet available.

[/TD][/TR]

[/TABLE]

Edited by James Kerman
link removed

Beta 4 is now live on Github, and awaiting approval on Curse. It fixes an issue with the Science Dialogues not resetting.

CactEye 2 BETA 4
-Fixed an issue where the science dialog would not reset after running an experiment with a CactEye processor;
the symptom of this was a CactEye screenshot showing in a science dialog after running an unrelated experiment.

I can't wait to start taking screen caps with this again man. As a photographer and a gamer, this mod is sweet sauce all over my everything. Thank you. I wonder if I can see any light from planetshine and distant object enhancement with this...

EDIT: Also what is the default behavior of the fungi telescope supposed to be? It doesn't have any open or deploy options, and appears to always work, even when pointed at the sun...

Edited by Errol

Figured it's worth pointing out that the Slim probe core could use a RT config.

@PART[probeCoreSlim]:NEEDS[RemoteTech]
{
%MODULE[ModuleSPU] {
}

%MODULE[ModuleRTAntennaPassive] {
%TechRequired = unmannedTech
%OmniRange = 3000

%TRANSMITTER {
%PacketInterval = 0.3
%PacketSize = 2
%PacketResourceCost = 15.0
}
}
}

Thank you for bringing this back! As an idea for the asteroid cameras, you could change where the asteroids are being found based on the level of the telescope.

Something like:

Level 1 will find asteroids that will pass by Kerbin

Level 2 will find asteroids that are between Duna and Jool (Dres area?)

Level 3 will find asteroids (comets?) that are sun divers or out beyond the orbit of Jool

Similar to how this mod worked. Maybe you can collaborate.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/80483

Thank you for bringing this back! As an idea for the asteroid cameras, you could change where the asteroids are being found based on the level of the telescope.

Something like:

Level 1 will find asteroids that will pass by Kerbin

Level 2 will find asteroids that are between Duna and Jool (Dres area?)

Level 3 will find asteroids (comets?) that are sun divers or out beyond the orbit of Jool

Similar to how this mod worked. Maybe you can collaborate.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/80483

I like the idea. I'll see what I can do.

Figured it's worth pointing out that the Slim probe core could use a RT config.

@PART[probeCoreSlim]:NEEDS[RemoteTech]
{
%MODULE[ModuleSPU] {
}

%MODULE[ModuleRTAntennaPassive] {
%TechRequired = unmannedTech
%OmniRange = 3000

%TRANSMITTER {
%PacketInterval = 0.3
%PacketSize = 2
%PacketResourceCost = 15.0
}
}
}

Thank you, I've incorporated this into a new release :).

Beta 5 is now live on Github, and awaiting approval on Curse.

CactEye 2 BETA 5
-Fixed an issue where the telescope would throw an incorrect "out of power" message when the telescope was
equipped with both an asteroid and a wide field processor.
-Fixed an issue where the probe core did not have a SAS module, again...
-Fixed an issue where the processors do not consume power.
-Added Remote Tech support to the probe core.
-Added KSP-AVC support.

BETA 6, provided that there is no major issue with BETA 5 that would need a fast update, is likely going to see the introduction of some new contracts. So stay tuned.

BETA 6, provided that there is no major issue with BETA 5 that would need a fast update, is likely going to see the introduction of some new contracts. So stay tuned.
Any thoughts on adding contracts for the telescopes?

He answered this question 2 posts before you asked the question. Please read 10-20 posts back before posting.

Edited by Master Tao
keep it civil

Glad to see this mod found a new home! I've used the orginal version in the past, and loved it!

Any thoughts on adding contracts for the telescopes?

Yes, I am currently look at about five types of contracts:

1. New Telescope Contract

The most basic contract. Basically deliver a new telescope to a specified orbit.

2. Planetary Observation Contract

Another basic contract. Either a new or existing telescope can be used to observe a target planet/moon.

3. Ground base Observatory Contract

A contract requiring the construction of a ground based observatory.

4. Orbital Observatory Contract

Same as the ground based observatory, but in space. Think space station with a telescope.

5. VLA Contract

Not sure if I can pull this off or not, but will make the attempt. This contract requires the construction of a VLA telescope on the surface of a target celestial body, such as the Mun. This will include a new processor type.

This are tentative, and are no promises. But this is what I'm aiming for.

I think the prob core just need the basic SAS module instead of lvl 1 SAS, which makes it equal to a HECS probe core for cheaper price.
Actually I think level 2 (I think it is) so it can be set to point toward a target better fits the function for use with a telescope to make it point in the right direction of what you want to observe.

I can change it to either way. I've noticed the issue with SAS and making the scope point at the target really only works at low zoom levels; SAS is not perfectly accurate and I've notice the scope point a smidgen off with high zoom levels, meaning you're looking at deep space instead of the target. MechJeb's SMART A.S.S., is a little bit more accurate, but still not perfect.

Ground observatory? Will we have a swirling mount powered by infernal robotic? It would be quite difficult to swing the kind of telescopes we have to have them point at targets in 1G with SAS alone on the ground.

And I actually wouldn't mind if it gets better SAS, but I think the price should match up with its functionality.

I don't think it would be too hard to aim something on the ground if you really put your mind to it. The problem comes after about a minute when the scope isn't facing the target any more. What we need is auto tracking for ground based telescopes. Kerbin spins 4 times faster then earth after all.

when i point the telescope to kerbin the picture is all weird as if the clouds are interfering with the rendering and looks awful. Also removing cat eye will break the game, same as the firing a kerbal glitch where you can't access any building.

Hi guys. I'm having trouble with this awesome mod; problem is, when i try to get a picture of an asteroid with the Asteroid Camera 2, game says an error occured. I managed to get to see the log file and the lines say

[Error]: [R&D]: No Experiment definition found with id Default Experiment
[Log]: CactEye 2: Exception 4: An error occured producing a science report!
[Log]: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at ScienceSubject..ctor (.ScienceExperiment exp, ExperimentSituations sit, .CelestialBody body, System.String biome) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ResearchAndDevelopment.GetExperimentSubject (.ScienceExperiment experiment, ExperimentSituations situation, .CelestialBody body, System.String biome) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at CactEye2.CactEyeAsteroidProcessor.DoScience (Vector3 TargetPosition, Boolean IsSmallOptics, Single FOV, UnityEngine.Texture2D Screenshot) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at CactEye2.TelescopeMenu.DrawProcessorControls () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Don't know what could be possibly related to, but i'm pretty sure there are no mods conflicts since i checked them one by one. Additionally, the error occurs even with CactEye alone activated.

Apart from this, great work with the telescopes and sorry for my English

when i point the telescope to kerbin the picture is all weird as if the clouds are interfering with the rendering and looks awful. Also removing cat eye will break the game, same as the firing a kerbal glitch where you can't access any building.

More than likely, the awful rendering could be due to either ATM or DDSLoader. I've heard from other people that ATM with aggressive settings is causing issues with the telescope view, and I've recently confirmed this.

I've also confirmed the save game breaking bug, and fixing this will be top priority in BETA 6.

Hi guys. I'm having trouble with this awesome mod; problem is, when i try to get a picture of an asteroid with the Asteroid Camera 2, game says an error occured. I managed to get to see the log file and the lines say

[Error]: [R&D]: No Experiment definition found with id Default Experiment
[Log]: CactEye 2: Exception 4: An error occured producing a science report!
[Log]: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at ScienceSubject..ctor (.ScienceExperiment exp, ExperimentSituations sit, .CelestialBody body, System.String biome) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ResearchAndDevelopment.GetExperimentSubject (.ScienceExperiment experiment, ExperimentSituations situation, .CelestialBody body, System.String biome) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at CactEye2.CactEyeAsteroidProcessor.DoScience (Vector3 TargetPosition, Boolean IsSmallOptics, Single FOV, UnityEngine.Texture2D Screenshot) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at CactEye2.TelescopeMenu.DrawProcessorControls () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Don't know what could be possibly related to, but i'm pretty sure there are no mods conflicts since i checked them one by one. Additionally, the error occurs even with CactEye alone activated.

Apart from this, great work with the telescopes and sorry for my English

That's just odd. Basically what the error report is saying is that the game is not recognizing it as an asteroid processors, and is trying to run an experiment that doesn't exist. Try deleting the mod and reinstalling, and lets see what happens.

That's just odd. Basically what the error report is saying is that the game is not recognizing it as an asteroid processors, and is trying to run an experiment that doesn't exist. Try deleting the mod and reinstalling, and lets see what happens.

Just tested out after removing & reinstalling the mod: same error as above in the logs. However i think the game is actually recognizing it as a processor, since the odds against a new asteroid discovery do change from 1:100 to 1:90 ; don't know if this changes for the science part.

In addition, i experience some graphics issues when looking to other planets (Kerbin is rendered perfectly) with the standard telescope; i have installed your fix for Distant Objects Enhancement and i have also Environmental Visual Enhancements and Texture Replacer along with Better Atmospheres texture pack. Maybe the "glitchy & scattering" effects on planets and moons surfaces could be related to those mods, i don't know. Thanks for your fast reply

Edited by Lornuir

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.