[1.0]CactEye 2 Orbital Telescope BETA 5.2

Raven.

No, no cloud mods. No memory for em!

using the infernal robotics mod actually works pretty well

I used 2 rototron or what they're called to tilt the probe around the 2 axis of the plane of the telescope opening

gyroscope.png

PS: I just took a full zoom pic of eeloo using this trick

Edited by Sigma88

Sorry but... tell me, am I being stupid ? I just launched a FungEye telescope, and I just don't know how to use it... I open the GUI, and except for zoom and SAS, there are no options about taking pictures, or collecting science... Right-click on the processor doesn't show any options too... Am I doing something wrong ???

yQkAFR8.png

The science button only appears in career mode and only if you have a target selected. The two arrow buttons only appear if you have more than one processor equipped on the telescope. The screenshot button only appears if you have an active target selected in map view.

With that being said, if you feel like CactEye is malfunctioning, please post a KSP.log file. The KSP.log is absolutely critical to getting bugs fixed, as CactEye is set to be very chatty in the logs and will report errors to the KSP.log (I'm a hug believer in log files).

Also, I want to let everyone know. Development has been a little slow lately, as I'm in a heavy duty engineering course of which we're dealing with a lot of assembly programming. This does not mean I'm leaving, it means that I'm a little bit slow at the moment.

You have to be playing in Science or Career mode. And you have to set the planet/moon as a target first. Also double-check if you are using the correct processor. Wide Field for planets and Asteroid for asteroids.

Aha ! I knew I missed something... Didn't target the planet first... So, that was indeed me being stoopid, sorry. Will try again later. Thanks for the clarification !

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I want to let everyone know. Development has been a little slow lately, as I'm in a heavy duty engineering course of which we're dealing with a lot of assembly programming. This does not mean I'm leaving, it means that I'm a little bit slow at the moment.

Take your time, this is an awesome mod, I used to play with it during rubberducky's management, I was very happy to re-discover it in 0.90 ! Thank you for taking over.

Looks to be a conflict between this and the caretaker update for Tarsier Space Tech. With both installed together the windows for TST don't come up. Without CactEye TST works fine.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j5qznw88hz1wmk1/output_log.txt?dl=0

That's odd. I'm playing with both and loving it. Do you use them on the same ship?

No separate ships. It had worked fine but since adding in CactEye the view window when using Tarsier no longer comes up. The hard drives work just fine from it. The only other thing I could think of is Lazor causing a problem when installed along with the other two, but either works fine separately with Lazor which would be even more weird.

EDIT: It was even more weird! It turns out it was a problem with Kerbal Calender! Naturally it was something totally unrelated that caused the problem :P

Edited by JeffreyCor

• 2 weeks later...

Just FYI for anyone using Distant Object Enhancement version 1.5.2, the Compatibility Patch patch included with CactEye will cause log spam. I don't know if the patch still fixes any of the original issues with DOE since the log spam was causing too much of a performance hit to even bother continuing to play with both.

Just FYI for anyone using Distant Object Enhancement version 1.5.2, the Compatibility Patch patch included with CactEye will cause log spam. I don't know if the patch still fixes any of the original issues with DOE since the log spam was causing too much of a performance hit to even bother continuing to play with both.

That's because the patch is meant for DOE 1.5.1, and is in need of an update. I'll see about getting that out before long.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I have been using this mod for a little while now, had used the wide field 1 camera several times and recovered science. I launched a new telescope (there is already a defunct one with unused Asteroid Scanner 2), and when I tried to take pictures of an asteroid with the new Asteroid Scanner 2, it said there was an error and to post about it here in this thread (the game did not crash or anything). If you need any more information let me know :)

Edit: Here is what I was looking at when I hit the take picture button and it said "Error"

94TYNBE.png

Edited by civilwargeeky

• 3 weeks later...
Hi! I have been using this mod for a little while now, had used the wide field 1 camera several times and recovered science. I launched a new telescope (there is already a defunct one with unused Asteroid Scanner 2), and when I tried to take pictures of an asteroid with the new Asteroid Scanner 2, it said there was an error and to post about it here in this thread (the game did not crash or anything). If you need any more information let me know :)

Edit: Here is what I was looking at when I hit the take picture button and it said "Error"

http://i.imgur.com/94TYNBE.png

I apologize for taking a while with getting back with you on this. Classes have been pretty heavy duty as of late.

I'm assuming the error message you saw was:

An error occured. Please post that you're having this error on the official CactEye 2 thread on the Kerbal Forums.

If so, it means that something is wrong with the configuration file for the science reports. Deleting and reinstalling CactEye 2 should clear this up. Either way, I'll take a look at the code to see if there's not any potential bugs their.

As an update, I only have two more weeks of classes; my final project is due on May 4th, and afterwards I should have considerably more time leftover to work on CactEye, something I've been itching to do for quite a while. I've also been periodically checking on the news to track the status of KSP 1.0. It's likely that BETA 6 will be on KSP 1.0, assuming that 1.0 comes out within the next couple of weeks (I'm assuming that since 1.0 is in experimentals).

BETA 6, as I've stated before, will feature contracts concerning the telescope, along with loads of bug fixes. Also CactEye will be brought up to speed with the latest version of DOE, so no more flares visible in the scope.

I think I've found a conflict with this and Tarsier Space Technologies' telescope plugin.

I'm currently using a tech tree mod, so I don't know which nodes to zerg in a fresh Science mode game.

If some one could let me know the earliest node(s) that needs unlocked to get a Cacteye telescope that would be very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

when you upgrade to 1.0?

Pretty soon actually. BETA 5.1 will be released soon which will include support for KSP 1.0; it will be a simple compatibility update that will also include support for DOE 1.5.3. BETA 6 has been in development for a while, and the reason BETA 6 is taking so long is because of a robotics course that has literally eaten my life these last few months. That class has its final demonstration next week, so development will soon resume.

Pretty soon actually. BETA 5.1 will be released soon which will include support for KSP 1.0; it will be a simple compatibility update that will also include support for DOE 1.5.3. BETA 6 has been in development for a while, and the reason BETA 6 is taking so long is because of a robotics course that has literally eaten my life these last few months. That class has its final demonstration next week, so development will soon resume.

Fantastic I'm glad to hear this is still being maintained. Also do you kind sharing a hint at what we can expect in beta 6?

Fantastic I'm glad to hear this is still being maintained. Also do you kind sharing a hint at what we can expect in beta 6?

Contracts mainly. I've been hacking at the contract system, which I was in the process of working on when I found out exactly how much work my engineering class was going to be (we had to build a little bot about eight inches wide that can navigate a maze. Except we were not allowed the use of any kind of high level language such as C; everything had to be coded in assembler. Plus every bit of hardware short of the CPU had to be designed and printed onto custom PCBs that we designed). After the compatibility update, I'll be switching my focus back to the contracts system.

Contracts mainly. I've been hacking at the contract system, which I was in the process of working on when I found out exactly how much work my engineering class was going to be (we had to build a little bot about eight inches wide that can navigate a maze. Except we were not allowed the use of any kind of high level language such as C; everything had to be coded in assembler. Plus every bit of hardware short of the CPU had to be designed and printed onto custom PCBs that we designed). After the compatibility update, I'll be switching my focus back to the contracts system.

Did you just tell it to hug the right/left wall?

BETA 5.1 is out. Please post if there are any issues.

CactEye 2 BETA 5.1
-Compatibility update for KSP 1.0
-Compatibility update for Distant Object Enhancement 1.5.4
-Added support for Outer Planets Mod, thanks to ImAHungryMan!
-Removed the CactEye agency, for now. This was to prevent KSP from breaking if CactEye is removed.
This could break existing save games, you have been warned. The agency will be added back in a future
update as other modders and I figure out a better way to manage custom agencies without ruining
people's save games.

EDIT: almost forgot to mention this. CactEye 2 is now also hosted on Kerbal Stuff: https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/720/CactEye%202%20Orbital%20Telescope

EDIT 2: Also note that an agency has been removed from this release. I very strongly recommend you start a new game if you have a save that was using CactEye 2 BETA 5. This was to fix a very serious, game breaking bug that was caused when removing CactEye from a save game.

Edited by Raven.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.