:~Can I Has More Stockalike Greeble Mods?~: <3

HuntsmanThe8

Some players think it's all about efficiency, anything that's inefficient wouldn't be done in real life, I'm not totally convinced of that (Space shuttle anyone?)

But seeing as KSP is a game and that people are amazingly creative with the parts available I think it'd be cool to have stuff that's just for show :)

Who knows what players could make from them...

heh I can see this being useful for lots of things like a set of building blocks for modders that know how to weld in thier config files but not how to model

Actually this is worth exploring. I've changed my mind. Unfortunately I already voted down this thread so if everyone reading it could offset my mistake, that would be great.

In fact, I'm pretty sure I'd like to take this on. Everyone give me ideas for individual models.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

So, just throwing out random ideas:

Pipes, Structural/utility looking blocks, micro meteorite shielding plates, a complex looking but useless stick, raised surfaces of different shapes (futuristic hexagon is usually used), dummy windows, exhaust ports, fins, light boxes, flaps...

hmm... If greebles were made an opensource part week theme would people honestly start participating? Cause if so it'd be a great way to generate a lot of greebles in a short amount of time... or someone could just start a collaborative greeble project for the sake and love of greebles alone but that's too sensible. :P

Abusing the two-piece part module (fuel lines and struts) could be a cool way to make 'procedural greebles' so you could run tubes and hoses all over your ship!

That is really clever. I can't believe I didn't think of this. There are some limitations though, like you can't really have curved pipes.

So, just throwing out random ideas:

Pipes - OK

Structural/utility looking blocks -What does that mean?

micro meteorite shielding plates - I need some examples

a complex looking but useless stick - What does that mean?

raised surfaces of different shapes (futuristic hexagon is usually used) - OK

dummy windows - OK

exhaust ports - O.O That's just reckless. It'd have to be like..less than a meter wide at most.

fins - I need some examples

light boxes - What's that?

flaps - Like aircraft flaps?

I still need more ideas people.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

Structural/utility box: A box with some raised/indented surfaces, and wirings/pipe on its sides, like the body of this model (can just be texture instead of actual mesh to improve performance):

disc2.jpg

Micro meteorite shielding - something like the middle of this craft where there are hexa-like edge plates (I am not very good at describe this, am I?)

ad_astra_incrementis_by_smpritchard-d462y5w.jpg

Complex looking stick - something like this:

Antenna_A.jpg

Exhaust ports - It could be shielded!

Fins - the most useless part of all, no realistic spaceship would possibly need one, so I am pulling some sci-fi stuff as examples - see those angled fins everywhere on the ship(maybe they are antennas?):

scary-spaceship.jpg

Light box - something like this - basic greeble stuff, with lights: Doesn't have to be complex in mesh either, just a simple cube works, since we have the raised surfaces to make it more interesting, it just need some lights to give some interesting visual in the dark.

simple_blue_glowing_cubes_by_dracu_teufel666-d4sag8a.jpg

Flaps - I was thinking something like the engine flap from Karbonite Plus engine:

Yxp6reS.png

More ideas:

Computer terminal (not sure why anyone would want one outside the pod).

Exposed mechanisms, like this one:

large_scifi_details_and_greeble_3d_model_9c35b990-7c2d-4435-bf90-f63e31422fac.jpg

Dummy Hatches.

Sounds cool, especially for movie makers. I love the idea, and would probably mess around with it, but once the novelty wore off, I doubt I would use it any more. I tried using the handrail pack, but I wasn't able to get my kerbals to use them properly and once they lost all functionality (for me) I removed them, despite liking the aesthetics. Not to mention the "realists" that will start screaming for having all of these "non-aerodynamic" and "useless, unrealistic" parts hanging off of ships.

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.