~ consequential classical music thread ~

segaprophet

I know this thread probably won't be too active as the KSP crowd trends rather young, but I felt like making it anyway -

Post your favorite pieces of classical music (youtube embeds are best for sharing). If you like, post things like lyrics if available and reasons why the music speaks to you.

I'll start with J.S. Bach, Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring -

"Drawn by Thee, our souls aspiring

Soar to uncreated light."

No words. They should have sent a poet. :)

Nice idea! I love classical music, "despite" being 19 years old. My two favourite pieces are the following (won't embed them, cause they would take up too much space imo):

, which is usually played before the anthem in the first minute of the new year.

I used to learn music (mostly piano) for ~10 years. I think classical music gives much more delight than 10 minutes of monotone "WUBWUB" dubstep construction noise "music".

Edited by jmiki8

Even "classical" music can span a broad range of time, geography and style. This was interesting to learn. Perhaps most people are more familiar with the more limited scope of "classical period" music. Let's see what I can come up with.

Here is a playlist beginning with

Here's an old favorite of mine: The fourth movement of Mozart's Jupiter Symphony (41)

I just love it. There's an amazing level of complexity, like 5 different melodies going around if I'm not mistaken. It's also an awesome showpiece, people loved it the first time we played it! There's nothing like a standing ovation at the end of a well-played symphony. :D

It's hard to find a superior cut of this one, or at least for the one I'm looking for. I had this on vinyl ages ago, it was perfect... played as written. Can't find it.

Mozart's Concerto in C (KV 299), for flute and harp... complete.

Classical music meaning Symphonies and the like, I'm assuming. These two Pieces have me hooked right now:

Enigma Variations (Op. 36), Edward Elgar

(Skip to 14:11 for 'Nimrod' movement, my favorite)

String Quartet No. 14 Op. 131, Beethoven

(Was in Band of Brothers episode, "Why We Fight") Edited by Matt the Cat
Not finished

Peer Gynt Suite No.1, Op46 In the Hall of the Mountain King (performed by London Philharmonic in this particular KSP video)

I've also done "Jeb on a G-String" (Bach - Air on a G-String) and "Jeb and the Sugar Plum Fairy" (Pyotr Il'yich Tchaikovsky - Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy) but they're only half classical and half modern dance so I won't paste them up :)

My current favourites are:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.