LAND SPEED RECORD!!!

This isn\'t the fastest by any means, but I thought I\'d share my first Land Speed Mission with a few pictures. The delivery aircraft was an absolute pig to fly below 8km or so, I\'m guessing due to the strange drag effects of the rover mounted at such a Kerbal angle.

No .cfg edits, just standard mods such as C7.

AFAKu.jpg

AOrxe.jpg

qgYSS.jpg

cFwAV.png

mUu8K.png

neVQI.png

g8M7g.png

zMrmR.png

U72T9.png

diGoS.png

cNpDL.png

Ay3jE.png

1EpiO.png

I do think the poles are the best alternative to a dry lake bed, 100% smooth and level, not a single bump. It\'s just getting the rover there :)

Now time to design my Advanced Land Speed Record machine and associated polar delivery vehicle and see if I can trump 300m/s! I\'ve found that small canards mounted in pairs above each wheel, and on Damned\'s rotatrons allows you to control the downforce on each axle individually - helps massively with stability!

Excalibur, your post is pretty cool, I especially like the pic of the craft screaming across a glacier. I need to stop settling for the terrain around KSC and try out some polar caps. Although, without the bumps you miss all the big air that you get when approaching topspeed. That\'s kind of a shame, it\'s fun to nervously watch your rover land and soak up the impact of big air :D. I look forward to seeing your next creation, this means I\'ll have to make a legit leaderboard :P.

Excalibur, your post is pretty cool, I especially like the pic of the craft screaming across a glacier. I need to stop settling for the terrain around KSC and try out some polar caps. Although, without the bumps you miss all the big air that you get when approaching topspeed. That\'s kind of a shame, it\'s fun to nervously watch your rover land and soak up the impact of big air :D. I look forward to seeing your next creation, this means I\'ll have to make a legit leaderboard :P.

Thanks. I know exactly where you\'re coming from about the big air... I did a little bit of testing around the KSC and it was wicked to see the car ride out the bumps. At one point I was doing around 200m/s and I swear it left the ground for what felt like at least a mile, had me reminded of the fabled \'JATO Rocket Car\' Myth... in fact I may find a mountain and try recreating that one hehe.

This isn\'t the fastest by any means, but I thought I\'d share my first Land Speed Mission with a few pictures. The delivery aircraft was an absolute pig to fly below 8km or so, I\'m guessing due to the strange drag effects of the rover mounted at such a Kerbal angle.

AFAKu.jpg

AOrxe.jpg

qgYSS.jpg

cFwAV.png

mUu8K.png

neVQI.png

g8M7g.png

zMrmR.png

U72T9.png

diGoS.png

cNpDL.png

Ay3jE.png

1EpiO.png

I do think the poles are the best alternative to a dry lake bed, 100% smooth and level, not a single bump. It\'s just getting the rover there :)

Now time to design my Advanced Land Speed Record machine and associated polar delivery vehicle and see if I can trump 300m/s! I\'ve found that small canards mounted in pairs above each wheel, and on Damned\'s rotatrons allows you to control the downforce on each axle individually - helps massively with stability!

pWl8c.gif

The terrain has been my big downfall. Time to try this.

COOLNESS!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.