Deploying probes

Hi all! I have been working all day on this and I can't get it to work. So here is the setup...

I want to have a plane that can drop a probe/rover from a cargo bay and let the probe/rover land via parachutes while the plane flies on. I have been able to attach my rover to an unmanned rocket and retrieve both and I have been able to drop the rover on the landing strip from a cargo plane. But for some reason i can not deploy the rover from a flying aircraft. I switch over to it and see the chutes are deployed but when I switch back to my plane and land it the rover is nowhere to be found! Below are some pictures of my plane and rover. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

jwT8ZFp.jpg

ThRdnSc.jpg

uPgmd11.jpg

abTYHRC.jpg

Edited by RocketScientistsSon

Anything that isn't controlled and gets more than 2.5km away from 'you' gets deleted after going below a certain altitude. Which is a shame as I tried the same kind of thing.

There are mods which can resolve that issue, such as Flight Manager for Reusable Stages. It's not quite what it was intended for, but it should solve this issue :D. If you're just looking for funds/science/kerbals recovery (unlike OP), then the StageRecovery mod is probably a better choice.

The only 'stock' solution I know of is to not be flying too high and fast when you drop the probe. Then circle around it and watch it to ensure you stay within the safe distance until it's landed.

Alternatively, for more thrill factor, let it free fall and follow it in a nosedive before popping the chutes at the last moment and switching back to pull out of the dive :D

It would save having to try risky landings in bumpy terrain.

To be honest, with a bit of practice the only places landing is hard to do will be the ocean (good luck with that :P) and in the mountains. In the latter case you can usually just land nearby and then taxi over. You might need to add more wings to your plane though if it can't stay in the air below, say, 60 m/s (to be safe). Landing at 100+m/s (in stock) is always a bad idea, even if it works :P.

Btw, I would recommend swapping the separator for a decoupler. Saves leaving a mess wherever you drop the rover :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.