Debate - Duna or Eve? Why?

CalMacDa

Which do you like better: Eve or Duna?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you like better: Eve or Duna?

• Eve
    • Duna
    • I can't pick. I like them the same
    • Never been to them, so I don't know

These two planets are close and easy to get to due to their atmospheres and conveniently close locations. They both have moons and are individual. But which one is better? That is what this thread is for. Let the debate begin. Duna or Eve? Please state why in your debate post. Also, vote in the poll!

Edited by CalMacDa

I voted Duna because I have wonderful memories of making a base there in 0.18, complete with rocket-powered rovers since wheels weren't invented yet. I picked Duna because it had a completely flat plain that went on for kilometers and was perfect for high-speed rocket roving :)

But really, Duna and Eve are both lovely in their own way. Duna is your friend, Eve is your enemy. Duna is comfortable, Eve is extreme. Duna is the standard first interplanetary mission, Eve is the final challenge. They are the yin and yang of KSP, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

While Eve is a beautiful planet and an absolute challenge, especially when it comes to getting back from its surface, Duna is great for grand scale exploration with orbital and ground bases, spaceplanes, frequent supply missions between orbit and surface and has some nice hidden eastereggs.

Eve has given me many hair losing hours of planning and building in the VAB, but she still kills instantly if you dont play her game. Duna is a place where you can try out new ideas, survive a mistake with some daring maneuvers and send rescue missions on the fly if you have a well equipped base in orbit. So, i like Duna for all the opportunities and Eve for the challenge, but in the end, i had more fun and enthusiastic moments whith missions on Duna. Duna wins.

...They are the yin and yang of KSP, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Well said. On the point :)

Edited by Frank_G

Eve... I hate this planet. It killed more Kerbals than all other planets taken together. Only two missions so far made it back from its surface. Its a big purple death trap floating in the void. I'm actually afraid if this planet. Give me Duna every time. A trip to Duna is actually easier than a trip to Mun. Duna is nice homey place I like to visit every now and then even without any particular reason. Duna hasn't killed a single Kerbal. Its friendly and welcoming.

Duna always makes me a little anxious when I send a Kerballed mission there, something about the interplanetary thing. It's not the skip away that the Mun and Minmus are, and there's a lot that can go wrong. But every time I go I'm glad I did and it's more awesome than the last trip.

Eve... Eve is just a pain. I find little about it fun. Even landing on Gilly is annoying.

Duna.

Its red, and that's the opposite of green. Closer to my favorite color than purple...

Oh, you mean logically?

Bigger moon. Larger gravity well means easy to get to. Compared to Gilly, that SOI is so tiny, I was in there once, and the orbital map didn't even know until the last second.

Packed with science that's easy to get. Low gravity and thin atmosphere make it a much easier place to do anything. And Ike has science too.

Eve is hard to take off from, but it is easier to land on, just deploy the chutes and boom, landing. Also the aero braking is easier than Duna by a large margin.

I've just set up the beginnings of a colony on Eve (solving the problems of getting back to orbit ;) ) while at Duna there's a more conventional exploration trip going on. I've landed on Ike and several places on Duna itself, returning to orbit each time. So I think Duna's good for exploring a large area, whereas on Eve you sort of have to study a smaller area in detail.

Eve...

So here are the two main reasons i like Eve:

-Thick atmosphere to protect me from crashing into the surface.

-My very very FIRST planet i landed on without a scratch since 0.19.

Don't get me wrong, i like Duna too.But, it's simply not much of a challenge.You just burn a few km/s of delta-v and your there in an orbit.

- - - Updated - - -

Eve...

So here are the two main reasons i like Eve:

-Thick atmosphere to protect me from crashing into the surface.

-My very very FIRST planet i landed on without a scratch since 0.19.

Don't get me wrong, i like Duna too.But, it's simply not much of a challenge.You just burn a few km/s of delta-v and your there in an orbit.

Duna is like an old friend. Kerbals can always count on it to give them a predictable experience, and not too hard to get away from.

Eve is like an overly attached girlfriend. Kerbals are just so glad to have landed on the planet in the first place that they're okay with not leaving for a while, and Eve's okay with it too.

IFWTfaB.png

Edited by GregroxMun

Hmmm... Eve? I don't know. For some reason I just end up going to Eve way more often than I do Duna. I hadn't gone to Duna for months before I started my latest career save. Plus, it's a bit more interesting to visit. Most of Duna is just monotonous rolling hills. Eve has lakes, mountains, craters, etc. The monotonous purple texture does wear on you, though.

Edited by Vaporo

Go to Eve for Gilly (and drop an expendable redshirt- I mean probe on Eve), go to Duna for Duna, because aerobraking over long distances when landing is fun to watch, as the mountains of Duna zip by. Ike is science rich, but I don't like it as much as Duna.

Simple as that. :D I don't know why, but I *really* like Gilly and Dres... ...Am I playing the game wrong? :D

Then again, i've only been to gilly and dres once...

I love eve because nothing is funnier than watching kerbals float about gaily in the super low gravity of gilly. Alas, Mechjeb does not like Gilly for some reason, all of my landings on it so far have gone sour.

Edited by Steambirds

Eve is a death trap, I've never managed a return mission to that benighted place. Duna is brilliant. It still feels like an accomplishment to go there and back, but easy enough that you're unlikely to have to cheese it with f5 f9.

Ordinarily I'd say Duna, but recently I sent a surface base to both Eve and Duna, but only the Eve one survived :\

(The Duna station came in about 100m/s too fast... close, but so, so far...)

Edited by Slam_Jones

I plan to visit Duna after I explore Kerbin's moons. I don't know if I'll ever attempt landing on Eve. Some places you just don't go...

Its not landing on Eve that's the problem, pack a chute and off you go. With FAR I managed to get an orbital proble to land with a little gliding and planned lithobraking (AKA: eyeballing the ground and going 'there looks flat!).

Getting back from Eve, I have never done it - not even with a probe.

I prefer Duna for all the reasons above. Eve pisses me off because it's difficulty is exaggerated by the lack of stock parts for balloons and turbofans. With those parts it would much more fun to explore and return Kerbals from. I have made it back once from Eve with a large asparagus rocket, but it felt silly and unrealistic to me.

Eve is the hardest to land and come back from. I would Level it harder than Tylo, because with Tylo there is no atmosphere holding you down. Eve is not a challenge to get to, but it is a challenge to land and come back

- - - Updated - - -

Duna is nice and easy though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.