Is This True?

embaixador

Also, I find myself stuck randomly sometimes after a quickload: I can't quit the game, or return to the space center, or recover a vessel I landed, or doing another quickload, and I'm forced to kill KSP.exe to get out.

Happened again, landed a probe near KSC and I was stuck again. Enough KSP for tonight.

I'm almost opening a thread in Support, it's starting to get annoying.

What little I've played of 0.90, I've found it buggier than 0.25... and my 0.25 is very heavily modded, and I've been playing 0.25 a lot longer. The main thing is the random-launchpad-to-the-face glitch, where the craft will randomly lose a few parts, or occasionally completely split apart, when flying in space or high atmo, and when you check the F3 menu it will say it collided with the Launchpad or VAB.... I never had this in 0.25 or earlier, but I have it every few launches in 0.90; easily solved by quickloading, but it's still annoying.

So I dunno...

The main thing is the random-launchpad-to-the-face glitch, where the craft will randomly lose a few parts, or occasionally completely split apart, when flying in space or high atmo, and when you check the F3 menu it will say it collided with the Launchpad or VAB.... I never had this in 0.25 or earlier, but I have it every few launches in 0.90; easily solved by quickloading, but it's still annoying.

I noticed that several time during my 0.25 career. Mostly when approaching KSC, but once when obiting at 100 km. Sometimes KSC building even exploding due to this "collisions".

0.90 has been a nightmare for me so far, with new issues i never had in the 750++hours i played ksp before. at first i thought mods would be at fault, but even with the third stock ksp re-install i had game-breaking problems. like for example every time i load a vessel in space its engine "ghostfires" and i can't do anything about it. random crashes and spontaneous disassembly in mid-flight are common and of course anything docked is shaking itself to death...

i got so frustrated i even disconnected my flightstick but nothing changed. ( i run ksp 32-bit on an 4770k cpu + gtx770 graphics card.)

-snip-

Traches: That is NOT what he said and you know it. Stop acting like a silly goose.

To be fair, the OP has one post so it is a safe assumption that he is not a KSP player (yet), in which case Traches' statement is not entirely inaccurate to what a potential player might think. Also to be fair, the argument he implies Sal is making is theoretically valid with a few basic assumptions (avoid mods and claw and don't do anything Whackjobbian and some other things) but this is KSP, so those assumptions are out the window.

Yes it is. Wait for people to do their 'justice'.

I suspect that the guy would probably be perma-banned if he was a forum member, but that's just me.

While the forums were in fact that ....-istic at one point, its nowhere near that now. We're allowed to have our opinions and smack on the game sometimes (unless that's your sole purpose on the forums in which case you're a troll). Heck, I've gotten away with bashing the WNTS list back when suggestion threads were locked purely because they were about a WNTS list item.

Edited by Captain Sierra
SOLE, not soul you idiot . . . . why cant I grammar?

I have 71 folders worth of mods (I have several mods that use multiple folders B9, USI, etc.) and I have significantly reduced my crashes to nearly zero using these techniques:

1. Active Texture Management (aggressive)

2. Custom shortcut link:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP.exe" -force-opengl -popupwindow

I swear this made the biggest difference in stability besides...

3. Deleted Kerbinside mod

I haven't tried the latest update yet. I hope it is more stable.

1267 parts according to KSPModAdmin, I'd say at least half of my mods are NOT parts mods. Most are things like Editor Extensions, Resource Overview and Science Alert.

Funny, but not really fair.

I normally play the Linux 64-bit version and .90's maybe a little buggier than .25, I've had the odd game crash, but really nothing objectionable.

Now the Windows 64-bit version is definitely buggier than ever. I honestly don't think it should have been released at all. Squad could have directed players wanting Windows 64-bit to the previous version, which is still made available.

We're allowed to have our opinions and smack on the game sometimes (unless that's your soul purpose on the forums in which case you're a troll).

As personal experience of said things tell me, staff could just decide you are a troll and punish you on these sole grounds. So tough on you if you're an opinionated person, because it's only a matter of time before someone decides to pick you for a scapegoat.

Well, my first version of KSP was .23.5, which ran okay. In .24.2, I actually ran the game quite painlessly in x64-mode. I had installed way to many mods to run the game in x86-mode.

When .90 came out I had a hell of a time getting it to run properly. Then I found out about CKAN and very sensibly cut down the list of my mods and now the game runs quite stable with Active Texture management on Basic, E.V.E., Planet Shine, Distant Objects and a number of quite hefty mods such as KSOS, B9, KW, KSP-I, etc. (Module Manager lists in excess of 1,000 patches).

However I do hope that SQUAD manage to improve the memory management of the game, which IMHO is one of the major weaknesses of the game.

Regards,

Sebastian

Then I found out about CKAN and very sensibly cut down the list of my mods and now the game runs quite stable with Active Texture management on Basic, E.V.E., Planet Shine, Distant Objects and a number of quite hefty mods such as KSOS, B9, KW, KSP-I, etc. (Module Manager lists in excess of 1,000 patches).

However I do hope that SQUAD manage to improve the memory management of the game, which IMHO is one of the major weaknesses of the game.

Regards,

Sebastian

Oh man! CKAN is the best thing to happen to KSP since, well, Beta 0.90! It does all the stuff I wanted (which was basically the functionality of Nexus Mod Manager)! And because it takes care of the installation and version control, I hope that the game is order of magnitude more stable than it was when I was trying to manually install mods. I will do just about anything short of installing Linux to run this game in a stable state.

What would you expect of something based around how the CPAN works?
You might want to check to make sure you're not installing "recommended" and "optional" packages as well as "required" ones.
I would expect the default to be to pull in only actual dependencies and not "recommended" stuff as well. But I'll try and remember that option the next time I look at it.

• 3 weeks later...
That image was made by a guy who's upset that the experimental Windows 64bit executable is experimental and doesn't understand that games in beta will have issues.

Well, the only version of the game I've run was 64bit, and I have only encountered the Kraken once, all other times I had summoned him purposely. Also, the game runs extremely smoothly. So I say the 64bit is good. (For me at least:wink:)

Is This True?

Unfortunately, yes. I tend to play all-stock these days to avoid crashes, and only with the 32-bit executable, and I still deal with an absurd amount of instability within KSP. Between random loading crashes (many of which don't bother to output any error logs,) Career still being a nigh-unplayable mess due to contract bugs, problems with many parts of the editor (up to and including tweakables being the source of a memory leak,) and the new save-corruption bug that's managed to make me re-install KSP four times now? I'm pretty well done with the game for now, and have been advising people to stay away from the game until Squad puts in some serious bugfixing time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.