WIP: Muscle Car Parts Mod

UnstableOrbit

SketchUp? I will not go as far as to say it is a bad choice, but I am sure there are better choices. And yes, I know the VAB was done in it :)

Yes, I know it is a bad choice, but I have no other choice. I absolutely BLOW at modelling, and I do not have the patience to learn how to use Blender's un-intuitive setup due to certain characteristics of my mind.

- - - Updated - - -

UPDATE: Model split into base components, ready for import into unity(Yes, I know there are no textures, right now I just want to test the models in game).

3SUIanr.png

I think that looks pretty good for someone who blows at modelling ;)

That's a joke referring to the previous post, if any overzealous moderators are reading along

I pretty much traced it from blueprints and applied liberal usage of the Intersect Faces tool. No skill at all. Believe me, if I was doing it from scratch it would look like a misshapen turd(turdmobile mod?). Thanks, though!

UnstableOrbit, make sure to reverse those blue faces otherwise when you get to Unity, they'll vanish.

Lol yeah, I forgot about that. Too bad I didn't read this BEFORE trying to get the models into KSP! Anyways, I have been testing one of the models, and it is working rather decently(aside from the flipped faces). One little bit of serendipity: I got the scaling on the model almost PERFECT with KSP scale without realizing it. Lol.

Also, yeah, 'Vettes are on my todo list.

UPDATE: In-game testing of GSX cabin. Features full collision(so you can technically walk around inside it) and not much else. We tried to get pictures of the cabin alone, but two kerbals wandered into the photo shoot, saw the new car, and pretended to drive it around. We were unable to pry them away from the vehicle, so they wound up in the photos.

It actually turned out pretty nice, IMHO. Looks alot better ingame than it does in the modelling programs.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Thanks! Besides, you actually can use these as utility vehicles(though the thought of a beautiful muscle car hauling 2x4s makes me cringe a bit). The trunk acts as a cargo bay(look at first post), and as you can see by the collision mesh, you can stick anything you want inside the cabin. You could have science experiments, passenger seats, spare parts, etc.

I've changed my mind. If you end up doing a good job, I'll probably use this to drive around the KSC, collecting science, and planting flags for targets, etc. It'll be nice to have a good looking vehicle to do that with, rather than some ugly rover cobbled together from space parts.

Update: Bodywork finished, added trunk that can be opened/closed. We had two kerbal test drivers take the new vehicle out for a spin, and 30 seconds later they wrecked it.

To-do: doors, hood, muscle car tires, engine pieces, hire test drivers who are actually competent.

MEGA UPDATE: All body panels finished!!! Hood, doors, trunk can all be individually closed and opened. The hood and doors are each individual parts, so you can have oversize engines and/or objects sticking out of the sides of the vehicle. Here we see Jebediah and Bill giving it a bit of a test drive.

To-do: muscle car tires, engine pieces, texturing(still not sure how I am going to have paintjobs work.

Looking really good! Thought you were new to this?

Isn't it a classic orange-red paint thats traditionally used on these beasts?

Thanks, and yes, I am new. I just watched a lot of tutorials and videos, and I had every model already made over the last 3 days so all I really had to do was figure out animations and put em into the game. It was as simple as take object, import into unity, apply ksp parttools, animate if needed, give collisions, export, give it a generic cfg, test to confirm proper ingame functionality. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Also, I am in a bit of a pickle, texture-wise. One nice thing about vehicles is that you can get one in a color you like, and I assume people who are going to be using a mod like this will want the ability to paint their cars how they want. Therefore, I am reluctant to permanently texture anything.

Thanks, and yes, I am new. I just watched a lot of tutorials and videos, and I had every model already made over the last 3 days so all I really had to do was figure out animations and put em into the game. It was as simple as take object, import into unity, apply ksp parttools, animate if needed, give collisions, export, give it a generic cfg, test to confirm proper ingame functionality. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Also, I am in a bit of a pickle, texture-wise. One nice thing about vehicles is that you can get one in a color you like, and I assume people who are going to be using a mod like this will want the ability to paint their cars how they want. Therefore, I am reluctant to permanently texture anything.

There are ways of allowing multiple textures for a single part. The rollkage mod does this but not in a tidy way so for a quick fix you could look in there.

I think the firespitter plugin might be what you need to look at for the best way of switching but I'm not sure.

Great work!

Btw how do you create multiple collider meshes attached to one object in unity (if I create more than one collision mesh for an object in unity, KSP 'sees' just first one and not others); if you have link to some tutorial about it I would be grateful:)

Great work!

Btw how do you create multiple collider meshes attached to one object in unity (if I create more than one collision mesh for an object in unity, KSP 'sees' just first one and not others); if you have link to some tutorial about it I would be grateful:)

Apparently, the rule is one collider per object, so just make a bunch of empty gameobjects to store extra colliders in.

Oh, nice. Say, I was planning a similar part so you could carry vehicles around on rockets. Want to join forces?

It will take some time until I get to work on those so go ahead :) The ramp I'm thinking of will probably be integrated with much larger frame part since alone they break too easily under heavier weights :(

UPDATE: GSX Wheels finished. I cannot take full credit for them, since I used SpannerMonkey's pre-configured wheel package(http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/83200) and just replaced his wheel with my models.

To-do: engine pieces, texturing. I have decided to just make a preset texture for each piece(read: a single color), and if anyone wants to color their vehicles, they can just change the texture in the folder. I do plan on adding a repainting option, but I have abso-freaking-lutely no idea how to go about doing that, and while other users have accomplished it, I don't want this mod to be dependent on a plugin that I have no control over.

Also, I am looking for a plugin developer, a modeller(because I suck and I want these to look GOOD), and a texturer(because I really don't know anything more complex than applying a single color to a model). If you are interested, please contact me. I will be doing as much as I can, but I have serious doubts as to my ability to achieve the visions I have for this mod.

To-do: engine pieces, texturing. I have decided to just make a preset texture for each piece(read: a single color), and if anyone wants to color their vehicles, they can just change the texture in the folder. I do plan on adding a repainting option, but I have abso-freaking-lutely no idea how to go about doing that, and while other users have accomplished it, I don't want this mod to be dependent on a plugin that I have no control over.

I am pretty sure you can do that through abusing animations :) It should be just like making a emissive that uses the animation system to be turned on and off.

I would prefer some Kerbin-bound utility vehicles and some manned rover parts based on near-future sci-fi, like Moon.

There are two great packs with Kerbin bound vehicles, namely Lack's Stock Extension for the trucks and KSOS for trucks, service vehicles and other craft.

I am pretty sure you can do that through abusing animations :) It should be just like making a emissive that uses the animation system to be turned on and off.

I just did a quick look-up of your idea. It looks good, but wouldn't it cause the recolored parts to "glow" at night?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.