[1.8.x] AutomatedScienceSampler - V1.3.5 - 18.10.2019

SpaceTiger

KerboKatz presents to you: AutomatedScienceSampler

Do you think that science in kerbal is tedious ? Clicking on all those tiny tiny parts and pressing "run experiment"? Did it bother you that it took you longer to do all those things than actually enjoy the game ?

Well wait no longer we got the all around solution for you!

This handy little(/big) plugin will do all those tedious tasks for you and more!

It works out of the box with DMagic Orbital Science and can be easily updated to work with other science plugins as well!

jc2nbnU.jpg

Old content:

Spoiler

Hey guys

we present to you ForScience Continued!

As i already announced in the original thread that we were going to release an updated version of ForScience, which was created by WaveFunctionP, since it was lacking features.

SpaceKitty and I decided to try our hands at modding and we decided to update a mod that was missing features but wasnt overly complicated (we were wrong badly).

What does the original mod do ?

ForScience is a plugin to improve the science gameplay by automating the executions of science experiments.

Short and simple you dont have to click on every science module and deploy it. Just toggle this mod on and it will do it for you.

What does ForScience Continued do?

Basically what changed is the whole thing, just adding things here and changeing things there turned into an almost complete restructuring of the code.

Everything the original mod did, plus we added things like a settings menu which saves most of the settings into a file so you dont have to do it all over again everytime you launch something. Another thing the original code was missing is a toggle for the window it had.

You can open the settings menu by right-clicking on the icon in the Applauncher and close it by clicking on it or pressing save.

I think the descriptions in the tooltips are pretty clear but if you have any questions what they do feel free to poke us here.

If you find any bugs again let us know.

Code pieces were taken from ScienceAlert by xEvilReeperx,KSP Alternate Resource Panel by TriggerAu.

And again thanks to xEvilReeperx for helping me with the EVA code. Thanks Sephiroth_018/Sephiroth018 for the code to call the "conduct" method of DMModuleScienceAnimate.

Warranty void if you click on the Applauncher icon. :P

Future features:

Spoiler
  • Automagically do EVA experiments
  • Run an instance per craft, this will have a few issues if multiple craft have the same experiments and each craft will have its own counter so you wont get the expected results back.
  • Have atleast a single copy of every expermint to dump in the MPL
  • Transmit results back to Kerbin if feasible
  • Have a special wish ? Just ask here in this thread and we might be able to do what you want! :)

Known bugs:

Spoiler
  • None right now

Credits/Inspiration:

We would like to thank WaveFunctionP for creating ForScience and giving us inspiration for this mod. It was initially a fork of his work but got completely reworked for the 1.1 update and has very little in common with the old source therefore the rename.
Thanks to DMagic and his DMAPI for his DMagic Orbital Science mod. Without it things would have been more complicated

FAQ

Q: How do i install this mod ?

A: The zip files are all structured so that you only have to extract them into your kerbal folder and overwrite the folder.

Q: How do i uninstall this mod ?

A: I'm sorry that you want to do that. Just remove the "AutomatedScienceSampler" folder in your "GameData\KerboKatz" folder. If you aren't using any of our other mods you can remove the "KerboKatz" folder too. If you have a few minutes please tell us what you didn't like about this mod. So we can improve it.

Q: Does this mod work with other mods ?

A: In short: yes. In long: This mod was only tested under stock and with DMagic Orbital Science. I'm not aware of any other science mod that doesn't use the stock methods. If you are experiencing compatibility issues please report them here.

Q: This mod isn't working ?!!!!

A: Make sure you got the KerboKatzUtilities. If you do so please post your output_log so we can investigate your issues.

Q: I installed with CKAN and it's not working!

A: Even though we let CKAN generate meta files for our mods we don't actively check if its actually working or has the newest version. In cases with issues that can't be reproduced with a manual install, it's suggested to take it to the CKAN guys.

Q: How do i access this mod?

A: If you don't have any other mods created by us you are going to have a new toolbar icon. If you do have another mod installed you will have a green cat icon, by clicking on it it will pop up another "toolbar" with all of our active mods listed in it and you can chose this mod out of the list. By left-clicking on the icon you activate/deactivate the automatic science gathering. By right-clicking the settings menu will pop up and you can change all the settings you want there.

Q: I have issues with this mod.

A: Please post your output_log, detailed description and reproduction steps so we can investigate your issues.

Q: I have a suggestion for this mod.

A: Just post it in this thread. We always like new ideas. But please be aware that some things might not be doable.

Q: I like your mod how can i thank you ?

A: Just post something in this thread. We like reputation points too :wink:. If you feel like it you can donate to us too.

How to get support:

As a first step make sure you have the latest version and installed everything correctly.
If you still encounter the bug open the settings menu and turn on the debug option, this will enable the logs and it isn't recommended to play with this option on unless you try to reproduce a bug. Following that please restart kerbal as this will log everything happening from the very beginning. Now reproduce the bug with as little steps as possible. Once you successfully reproduced the bug shutdown kerbal and write down the reproduction steps. Once done upload your logs to file host, for example DropBox and include a link to your file in your post.

These steps are necessary for us to reproduce the bug that you are experiencing. It is very hard to fix a bug without being able to reproduce it or understand how it is happening.

If you like our mods please consider a donation:btn_donate_LG.gif

Or Support us on patreon.png

Download from our website.

License: All rights reserved

Requires: KerboKatzUtilities: 1.5.2-KSP1.8 -> License: All rights reserved. (included in the downloads)

Want your own mod to be supported in ASS?

It's very simple really!

1. You need this file as a base.

2. Put it in a new project as if you were creating a new plugin for Kerbal.

3. Reference all the needed assemblies: Assembly-CSharp, UnityEngine, KerboKatzUtilities, AutomatedScienceSampler as well as your mod.

4. Adjust all the methods to your wish!.

5. Don't forget to modify "GetValidTypes"!

6. Compile it and distribute it with your mod or send it as a pull request on GitHub so it can be included in future releases.

If you need any assistance don't be shy and just ask here in this thread.

Edited by SpaceTiger

-Tries to run DMagic Orbital Science experiments even if the container is full trying to fix this but currently not sure how to. Fixed that its trying to run experiments that are full but still having some issues getting the proper number on how many times it ran the experiment. Also need to figure out how to use C# reflection to call the "conduct" method of DMModuleScienceAnimate

pointers on how to solve these issues are gladly taken

I made a pull request on your github that changes the DMagic Orbital Science experiment check to use the conduct method.

Additionally, I refactored the debug logging into a static helper method that automatically adds "[For Science]" to each message and only logs when compiled with Debug configuration.

Edited by Sephiroth_018

Original For Science stored all material science and goo canisters in a pod, why doesn't this do the same?

Turn on the "Transfer science to container" option. There you can select to which pod you want all your experiments to be transfered.

I did not explain correctly in my post. It does not store two materials bay science from the same biome. I always land with two Science Jr. and two Mistery goo canisters in one location, one crater on the Mun, or Minmus. I perform all the experiments, so I maximize science from that location.

I did not explain correctly in my post. It does not store two materials bay science from the same biome. I always land with two Science Jr. and two Mistery goo canisters in one location, one crater on the Mun, or Minmus. I perform all the experiments, so I maximize science from that location.
The original ForScience used to dump duplicate experiments so if you landed with 2 goo canisters it would only keep one experiment result. We changed that so this wouldnt happen anymore.

• 4 weeks later...
Does it require the original For Science mod to run or is it a standalone from it?

This is a standalone mod ;)

Same functionality different modder but same source

also I had problems before when using this mod.. does it still have the same issue???

IDK why, but CKAN still have old version.

I'm not exactly sure how ckan works, so my best guess would be it is going to take a few days

Does this also alert you when science is available (ala ScienceAlert) or do they work together well?

This mod only executes science experiments. These two mods don't conflict with each other so you could use them both.

Does this work with mod parts?

I've got a probe orbiting mun with one of DMagic's orbital telescopes and it's not being triggered as it passes over new terrain.

Yes it does work with mod parts. But there are quiet a few issues that it got with DMagic sometimes experiments don't get triggered at all and sometimes they always get triggered even when it shouldn't.

If you can give me a save game that reproduces this with just stockparts + DMagic I'll have a look at it. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey

I installed ForScience(ver 0.26.0) form CKAN and it was not showing in the toolbar. Also KerboKatzUtilities was not listed as dependency for ForScience, so it was not installed. If I installed manually (ver. 1.3) from CKAN, also did not help.

If I manually download and install from GitHUb it works fine. Also KerboKatzUtilities.dll in ForScience package is different size than from KerboKatzUtilities GitHUb.

Hey

I installed ForScience(ver 0.26.0) form CKAN and it was not showing in the toolbar. Also KerboKatzUtilities was not listed as dependency for ForScience, so it was not installed. If I installed manually (ver. 1.3) from CKAN, also did not help.

This should be brought up in the ckan thread/repo and im sure it will be taken care of.

If I manually download and install from GitHUb it works fine. Also KerboKatzUtilities.dll in ForScience package is different size than from KerboKatzUtilities GitHUb.

The package contains version 1.0.0 of the KerboKatzUtilities. The version on github is 1.0.3. that explains why its different size

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.