[1.8.x] AutomatedScienceSampler - V1.3.5 - 18.10.2019

SpaceTiger

On 15.10.2016 at 11:21 AM, million_lights said:

hey @SpaceTigero/

I love your mod but is there a way to hide the grouped kerbokatz toolbar icon and have a dedicated toolbar icon for the science sampler?

With the new patch this is now possible. Give it a try!

On 24.10.2016 at 11:27 AM, helaeon said:

on 1.2 64 bit. Using Dmagic's RoverGoo and MaterialsBay, letting the auto sampler reset the experiment locks it.
Can get it truly reset by changing in the save file under the DMRoverGooMat module in each part:

ExperimentNumber = 2
experimentsReturned = 2

from 2 to 0 then it works as expected. Looks like there may need to be a special check in the reset module to reset those values.

New patch is up, this should fix your issue although we didn't test it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I seem to be seeing a bug when using the Science Sampler, or I don't understand something.

If I put experiments on my vessel (like thermometer or gravity scan) and launch, it will automatically perform them the first time. But if I keep the experiments and transfer to a holding part or transmit it back to Kerbin, it will never prompt me for new experiments when I enter a new biome. I can run the experiment manually, so the part seems to work correctly.

I believe the problem is that the reusable experiments are being flagged as deployed after running them. I am not sure if this is a change in KSP or something.

Your code in DefaultActivator.CanRunExperiment fails the check for baseExperiment.Deployed and then it tries to reset the experiment and it fails because baseExperiment.Inoperable. Perhaps the CanRunExperiment check needs to be something like:

if (baseExperiment.Deployed && !baseExperiment.rerunnable)
      {
        _AutomatedScienceSamplerInstance.Log(baseExperiment.experimentID, ": Experiment is deployed and not rerunnable");
        return false;
      }

Here is a link to the debug log: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6VIZ-8kBTMGUDdwZVRYeHRjQXM

6 hours ago, SirBriguy said:

Hey, I seem to be seeing a bug when using the Science Sampler, or I don't understand something.

If I put experiments on my vessel (like thermometer or gravity scan) and launch, it will automatically perform them the first time. But if I keep the experiments and transfer to a holding part or transmit it back to Kerbin, it will never prompt me for new experiments when I enter a new biome. I can run the experiment manually, so the part seems to work correctly.

I believe the problem is that the reusable experiments are being flagged as deployed after running them. I am not sure if this is a change in KSP or something.

Your code in DefaultActivator.CanRunExperiment fails the check for baseExperiment.Deployed and then it tries to reset the experiment and it fails because baseExperiment.Inoperable. Perhaps the CanRunExperiment check needs to be something like:

if (baseExperiment.Deployed && !baseExperiment.rerunnable)
      {
        _AutomatedScienceSamplerInstance.Log(baseExperiment.experimentID, ": Experiment is deployed and not rerunnable");
        return false;
      }

Here is a link to the debug log: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6VIZ-8kBTMGUDdwZVRYeHRjQXM

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Your workaround indeed seems to work and we updated ASS to include it.

19 hours ago, SirBriguy said:

I noticed this today, and just checked if anyone reported it, but @SpaceTiger already fixed it. Awesome. It's probably related to "Drop out of warp" not working, as well. I will investigate.

On 10/24/2016 at 0:56 AM, SilverlightPony said:

Okay, new problem.

Still on my 1.1.2 career, ASS v1.1.3, KK Utilities v1.3.8.

I turned ASS off a while back (I had a good reason at the time, I just can't remember what it was), and now I can neither turn it back on nor bring up the settings window.

Any ideas short of just reinstalling the mod?

On 10/24/2016 at 0:26 PM, SpaceTiger said:

Does it show anything in the logs?

Just remembered I needed to check this.  Loaded up my save, pulled up the debug/cheat window, flipped to the debug output tab, and tried both left-clicking to toggle on/off and right-clicking to open settings.  Both produced a single line:

[Exception]: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

1 hour ago, symmeclept said:

It's probably related to "Drop out of warp" not working, as well. I will investigate.

Any more info on this ? Like logs and reproduction steps.

44 minutes ago, SilverlightPony said:

Just remembered I needed to check this.  Loaded up my save, pulled up the debug/cheat window, flipped to the debug output tab, and tried both left-clicking to toggle on/off and right-clicking to open settings.  Both produced a single line:

[Exception]: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Try using the KerboKatzUtilities 1.3.7. KKU 1.3.8 got released at the same time as ASS 1.2 so it probably doesn't have a few assets that the old ASS requires.

7 minutes ago, SpaceTiger said:

Try using the KerboKatzUtilities 1.3.7. KKU 1.3.8 got released at the same time as ASS 1.2 so it probably doesn't have a few assets that the old ASS requires.

I haven't played KSP in a few weeks, so I just now noticed that CKAN has ASS 1.2.0 as an available update.  Would using this cause any problems with KSP 1.1.2 that you know of?  (Follow-up to that: I have DMagic Science and Universal Storage installed; would updating ASS from 1.1.3 to 1.2.0 require a different version of the DMagic plugin DLL than the one I have?)

4 minutes ago, SilverlightPony said:

I haven't played KSP in a few weeks, so I just now noticed that CKAN has ASS 1.2.0 as an available update.  Would using this cause any problems with KSP 1.1.2 that you know of?  (Follow-up to that: I have DMagic Science and Universal Storage installed; would updating ASS from 1.1.3 to 1.2.0 require a different version of the DMagic plugin DLL than the one I have?)

It is compiled for KSP 1.1.3 so technically it shouldn't cause any issues, but as always there are undocumented small patches that break a lot of things in a lot of mods between these small patches. One can only give it a try.

I'm not sure which version of DMagic Orbital Science you are using but generally i compile ASS for the newest version available at release time. For ASS 1.2.0 that would be 1.3.2.

Just now, SpaceTiger said:

It is compiled for KSP 1.1.3 so technically it shouldn't cause any issues, but as always there are undocumented small patches that break a lot of things in a lot of mods between these small patches. One can only give it a try.

I'm not sure which version of DMagic Orbital Science you are using but generally i compile ASS for the newest version available at release time. For ASS 1.2.0 that would be 1.3.2.

Just realized I herp'd a bit.  It's Universal Storage, not ASS, that needs the DMagic DLL in order for ASS to work with the US vesions of the DMagic science parts.  So unless I update US, I should be good.  (currently using DMOS 1.3.1 and US 1.1.0.13)

1 hour ago, SpaceTiger said:

Any more info on this ? Like logs and reproduction steps.

I specifically noticed it before using the Gravioli detector in low and high orbits. Just tested with the newest version, and everything seems to work fine. Probably was related to the other issue.

5 hours ago, Cetera said:

@SpaceTiger FYI, I am getting NullReferenceExceptions when using Automated Science Sampler in 1.2.1, and no science parts seem to work.  I can't run experiments, make crew reports, or conduct EVA samples.

Here is the log:  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62531235/output_log.txt

Debug option isn't on. Could you turn it on and upload your logs again?

14 hours ago, SpaceTiger said:

Sadly i can't find anything useful in these logs. Could you try to reproduce this bug with the minimum amount of mods ?

I'll give it the ol' college try, and let you know what I come up with.  Is there something I can do to help you, log wise?  Is there a different verbosity setting in the game I need to turn on?  The debug option I'm assuming you meant was the one in the KerboKats config panel, correct?

11 hours ago, Cetera said:

I'll give it the ol' college try, and let you know what I come up with.  Is there something I can do to help you, log wise?  Is there a different verbosity setting in the game I need to turn on?  The debug option I'm assuming you meant was the one in the KerboKats config panel, correct?

There isn't anything else you can do other than try to reproduce it with the minimum amount of mods. Yes, that was the option i was talking about.

• 3 weeks later...

One thing I have noticed regarding reusable experiments: if you have more than one copy of a given experiment (say, the thermometer), the utility will sample the first as normal. When you hit another biome, it will ask if you want to overwrite the existing sample rather than executing an unused one.

To recreate, unlock the thermometer. Launch a small ship with two of them. You will take a reading at the launchpad; save it. Launch. It should take a reading on the unused one, but instead prompts to overwrite the 1st one.

10 minutes ago, Bombaatu said:

One thing I have noticed regarding reusable experiments: if you have more than one copy of a given experiment (say, the thermometer), the utility will sample the first as normal. When you hit another biome, it will ask if you want to overwrite the existing sample rather than executing an unused one.

To recreate, unlock the thermometer. Launch a small ship with two of them. You will take a reading at the launchpad; save it. Launch. It should take a reading on the unused one, but instead prompts to overwrite the 1st one.

I just tried it under 1.2.1 and got correct behavior with multiple copies of the experiment.

Did you perhaps not set it to transfer the science to the cockpit?

Hmmm... looks like this is the replacement for science alert that I was looking for. I presume that this does more or less the same thing? Is there a way to stop it from automatically transferring science for you? I do like the odd bit of manual activity and Eva's in orbit.

6 minutes ago, SmashBrown said:

Hmmm... looks like this is the replacement for science alert that I was looking for. I presume that this does more or less the same thing? Is there a way to stop it from automatically transferring science for you? I do like the odd bit of manual activity and Eva's in orbit.

does the same as science alert and has the options you are looking for:cool:

10 minutes ago, SmashBrown said:

You have no choice but to do manual EVAs.   As good as this is at grabbing science it doesn't see EVA reports unless your Kerbal is outside the capsule.  The only way to automatically and safely capture this bit of science is to put a command chair on your rocket and stick someone in it.  You can simply go EVA to get the same benefit but you'll fall off the ladder at some point, I've found myself miles from my rocket that way.

On 7-12-2016 at 4:14 AM, Bombaatu said:

On 7-12-2016 at 4:26 AM, Loren Pechtel said:

I just tried it under 1.2.1 and got correct behavior with multiple copies of the experiment.

Did you perhaps not set it to transfer the science to the cockpit?

Setting it to Transfer to Cockpit fixed this issue for me. :)

I've had a bug happen twice now where a tooltip never goes away and stays locked to my mouse. It persists to the main menu so I have to restart the game to fix it. Both times, my log was spammed with this but I'm not sure if it is related:

"MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'FlightCamera.setTarget'."

I am not easily able to reproduce this as it seems to happen randomly when moving my mouse over the ASS window quickly. I'll try to save a log next time it happens.

KSP ver: 1.2.2

ASS ver: 1.3.1

Edited by kendoka15
Clarity

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.